Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DarwinPro Fiberglass/Carbon Fiber hood

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 11:37 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by sgvkirbster
Some like it. Some don't. It may be a generational thing since I am likely one of youngest members of this forum (36). Whatever it is, it comes down to personal preference.
I'm only 11 years older (mentally 21 years younger!)...am I really a generation away?

You go for it if it 'floats your boat', I just don't think it goes with the cars' character.

@SinF - That cracked me up!

Old 10-18-2017, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Some like it. Some don't. It may be a generational thing since I am likely one of youngest members of this forum (36). Whatever it is, it comes down to personal preference.
It - whatever "it" should be - always comes down to personal preference! While this Forum is an outstanding source of information ranging from "A to Z" asking a bunch of strangers for an opinion, other than relying on your own, is, basically, a shot in the dark.

Then again, and as you "discover" whom you can, or should, trust or most align with, there's plenty of confirmation here of one kind or another should you desire that.

Good luck,
RJ52

Old 10-18-2017, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

I find the brand name troubling. On the one hand, “Survival of the Fittest”. On the other, “The Darwin Awards”

I wonder if they considered working Nietzsche or Schopenhauer in before settling on Darwin...

Old 10-18-2017, 04:41 PM
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

The thing is, I didn't ask for anyone's opinion on the hood. If u read the thread, I ALREADY ORDERED IT before I posted. I asked for an opinion on gloss black vs carbon fiber side vents. I like both, so it's hard to decide. As it stands, im leaning towards gloss black. Also, I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the dilemma of the engine cover vs ugly motor/supercharger exposed.

Last edited by sgvkirbster; 10-19-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tel
I'm only 11 years older (mentally 21 years younger!)...am I really a generation away?

You go for it if it 'floats your boat', I just don't think it goes with the cars' character.

@SinF - That cracked me up!
I'm not saying with certainty that it's a generation or age-gap thing. I only threw that out there because traditionally, Jaguar caters to an older crowd. In fact, I'm the only one out of all my friends that have or have owned a Jag. I'm sure there's some younger folks out there that don't like this hood just as there are older folks that do. I hope this clears it up.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
It - whatever "it" should be - always comes down to personal preference! While this Forum is an outstanding source of information ranging from "A to Z" asking a bunch of strangers for an opinion, other than relying on your own, is, basically, a shot in the dark.

Then again, and as you "discover" whom you can, or should, trust or most align with, there's plenty of confirmation here of one kind or another should you desire that.

Good luck,
RJ52
The thing is, I didn't ask for anyone's opinion on the hood. If u read the thread, I ALREADY ORDERED IT before I posted. I asked for an opinion on gloss black vs carbon fiber side vents. I like both, so it's hard to decide. As it stands, im leaning towards gloss black. Also, I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the dilemma of the engine cover vs ugly motor/supercharger exposed.

Last edited by sgvkirbster; 10-19-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:22 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

didn't somebody make a CF engine cover?

Old 10-18-2017, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

If you're open to hydrodipping, there are lots of different looks that you could consider. Your metal mesh idea sounds interesting. I think seeing some form of the Jaguar lettering would be cool.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
If you're open to hydrodipping, there are lots of different looks that you could consider. Your metal mesh idea sounds interesting. I think seeing some form of the Jaguar lettering would be cool.
I hope ZMOOTHG doesn't mind me hijacking his pictures. Hahaha

ZMOOTHG's creation here is very interesting indeed. It seems the most feasible at the moment.

The following 2 users liked this post by sgvkirbster:
jaguny (10-18-2017), Panthro (11-03-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Looks cool. Is your car's body color white? You could consider Jaguar lettering in contrasting or matching color depending on what you have and what will read against black background.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:10 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I would be going for a carbon fiber look if possible

Old 10-18-2017, 06:32 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

The thing is, I didn't ask for anyone's opinion on the hood. If u read the thread, I ALREADY ORDERED IT before I posted. I asked for an opinion on gloss black vs carbon fiber hood vents. I like both, so it's hard to decide. As it stands, im leaning towards gloss black. Also, I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the dilemma of the engine cover vs ugly motor/supercharger exposed.
Maybe I missed it but what color is your car? Do you have carbon fiber anywhere else on the car?

Old 10-18-2017, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

The thing is, I didn't ask for anyone's opinion on the hood. If u read the thread, I ALREADY ORDERED IT before I posted. I asked for an opinion on gloss black vs carbon fiber hood vents. I like both, so it's hard to decide. As it stands, im leaning towards gloss black. Also, I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the dilemma of the engine cover vs ugly motor/supercharger exposed.
I simply made a general comment which didn't offer any opinion. So if I'm guilty of anything it was not offering an opinion to what you were seeking. So I'll correct that now.

If money isn't an issue, I vote carbon fiber as it's a subtle and beautiful addition.

Good luck.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunPA
didn't somebody make a CF engine cover?
Derek (FrickenJag) was in the process of putting one into production, and was close when I last pinged him in May. No word since.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Looks cool. Is your car's body color white? You could consider Jaguar lettering in contrasting or matching color depending on what you have and what will read against black background.
White. 2016 F-type R 'vert. I see from your signature that u have the black pack. So your side vents are black. What about your emblems?

Old 10-19-2017, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by FR500GT
Maybe I missed it but what color is your car? Do you have carbon fiber anywhere else on the car?
White. And I realized I made a mistake.... I'm trying to decide on the SIDE vents, not hood vents. The hood vents come carbon fiber from DarwinPro. So as it stands, that is my only carbon fiber pieces. I'm now considering the carbon fiber interior trim. There's a Jag dealership in Sacramento thats selling them for about $170 less than any dealership in LA. Just gotta pay shipping. As far as the side vents go, I've decided on gloss black.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I simply made a general comment which didn't offer any opinion. So if I'm guilty of anything it was not offering an opinion to what you were seeking. So I'll correct that now.

If money isn't an issue, I vote carbon fiber as it's a subtle and beautiful addition.

Good luck.
I can afford it no problem. However, there's a difference between "cost" and "worth." If I like something that much, I'll just get it regardless of cost, 'cause it's worth it to me. But if I'm not that into it, then I'll have to decide if an item is overpriced. In this case, I've concluded that the carbon fiber side vents are just not worth their cost. Even aftermarket ones are about $700 for the pair. Not worth it either, in my opinion. I'm now considering the carbon fiber interior trim that's going for about $850. Seems more worth it to me to get that rather that carbon fiber side vents. But I do believe the carbon fiber trim deletes the "R" badging just below the pop-up center vent. Not sure. Gotta do more research.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:01 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,102 Likes on 1,403 Posts

In case anyone is interested: Dizell lists a carbon-fiber hood/bonnet for the F-Type (this was originally posted by Stohlen.)
F-Type

Old 10-19-2017, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

I can afford it no problem. However, there's a difference between "cost" and "worth." If I like something that much, I'll just get it regardless of cost, 'cause it's worth it to me. But if I'm not that into it, then I'll have to decide if an item is overpriced. In this case, I've concluded that the carbon fiber side vents are just not worth their cost. Even aftermarket ones are about $700 for the pair. Not worth it either, in my opinion. I'm now considering the carbon fiber interior trim that's going for about $850. Seems more worth it to me to get that rather that carbon fiber side vents. But I do believe the carbon fiber trim deletes the "R" badging just below the pop-up center vent. Not sure. Gotta do more research.
I agree completely [re] cost/worth but since you asked for an opinion, I provided mine (and I'm sure you considered the cost differential even before posing your question.) I'm also pretty sure that whichever option you ultimately choice, it'll be fabulous, as is the F-Type all on its own.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

I'm not saying with certainty that it's a generation or age-gap thing. I only threw that out there because traditionally, Jaguar caters to an older crowd. In fact, I'm the only one out of all my friends that have or have owned a Jag. I'm sure there's some younger folks out there that don't like this hood just as there are older folks that do. I hope this clears it up.
While you're right that jaguar has traditionally catered to an older crowd, I don't think that assumption is fair for the F Type. This car is absolutely a younger persons car, something children have posters on their walls of. I'm 28 and am by far not the youngest here. I believe we have plenty of 20s and early 30s members here; based on the last "how old are you" thread. It's all opinions and if you come to the internet to post about it, people are gonna tell you how they feel. That's just how the internet works.

While i I wouldn't buy this hood I'm happy people are putting money into the aftermarket because it will motivate companies to make more parts I do like.