F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DarwinPro Fiberglass/Carbon Fiber hood

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 01:33 PM
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
While you're right that jaguar has traditionally catered to an older crowd, I don't think that assumption is fair for the F Type. This car is absolutely a younger persons car, something children have posters on their walls of. I'm 28 and am by far not the youngest here. I believe we have plenty of 20s and early 30s members here; based on the last "how old are you" thread. It's all opinions and if you come to the internet to post about it, people are gonna tell you how they feel. That's just how the internet works.

While i I wouldn't buy this hood I'm happy people are putting money into the aftermarket because it will motivate companies to make more parts I do like.
It was pure speculation on my part. In my humble opinion, I believe such aftermarket parts such as this hood, cater to a younger crowd. Again, just as I'm sure some younger people wouldn't get this hood, there are older folks that would. All a matter of what u like or don't like. That's the beauty of living in this wonderful country, u have so many choices. And to clear things up, it doesn't offend me when people give their opinions whether I asked for it or not. Everyone is entitled to their 2 cents. It is never my intention to disregard anyone's opinion. I simply stated that I ordered this hood before starting the thread. The moment I came across it, I told myself that I'm getting it. Just like I knew I was gonna flash my F-type before I ever purchased it. Certain things u just know you're gonna do. It's the other things that is a matter of persuasion. Thank u all for reading my rant.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tel
I'm only 11 years older (mentally 21 years younger!)...am I really a generation away?

You go for it if it 'floats your boat', I just don't think it goes with the cars' character.

@SinF - That cracked me up!
While I do respect your opinion, my thoughts are exactly opposite. I believe IT DOES go with the car's character. U read reviews about the f-type, particularly the R, and 9/10 reviewers say things such as the car has a "brash character" or "it caters to the hooligan inside of us." I completely agree. Out of every car in its class, this is the car that stands out the most. This is the car that says "Hey, look at me!" It just catches people's attention no matter where u go. And though it may not be the fastest, may not handle the best, may not have the best infotainment and technology, etc., it still scores AT LEAST above average in EVERY SINGLE category. This car is simply beautiful and different from anything else out there. So in conclusion, I believe this hood perfectly fits the car's brash, rebel, non-conforming character.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by sgvkirbster
The thing is, I didn't ask for anyone's opinion on the hood. If u read the thread, I ALREADY ORDERED IT before I posted. I asked for an opinion on gloss black vs carbon fiber side vents. I like both, so it's hard to decide. As it stands, im leaning towards gloss black. Also, I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the dilemma of the engine cover vs ugly motor/supercharger exposed.
You posted a picture of it, so yes - you did.

Non-structural carbon fibre is the automotive equivalent of a chest wig.

Better?

The following users liked this post:
SinF (10-23-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical
You posted a picture of it, so yes - you did.

Non-structural carbon fibre is the automotive equivalent of a chest wig.

Better?
Hahaha. I agree with u. Never been a fan of carbon fiber anyway. Only considered it cuz I wanted to try something different.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:14 PM
Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

If none of the other options sound appealing, you might want to just paint the plastic engine cover gloss black so it looks better through the window. I'd still consider hydrodipping.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
If none of the other options sound appealing, you might want to just paint the plastic engine cover gloss black so it looks better through the window. I'd still consider hydrodipping.
I've been googling hydro-dipping. But it seems there's no one around my area that does a good job. I live in San Gabriel Valley.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

TRY immersedfx @ 909 931-7469 —- ask for Mike — he is in upland ca. I have been to the shop but I just UPS him parts now - he has done work for several of my cars and in my f type he did rear diffuser , engine cover and dash in carbon fibre —- I also have other real carbon fibre pieces on my car — can’t tell the difference !

sgvkirbster (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by frank james
TRY immersedfx @ 909 931-7469 —- ask for Mike — he is in upland ca. I have been to the shop but I just UPS him parts now - he has done work for several of my cars and in my f type he did rear diffuser , engine cover and dash in carbon fibre —- I also have other real carbon fibre pieces on my car — can’t tell the difference !
I just called him. No one picked up the phone so I left a message. Thanx!

Old 10-21-2017, 04:22 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts
Old 10-21-2017, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

White. 2016 F-type R 'vert. I see from your signature that u have the black pack. So your side vents are black. What about your emblems?
Emblems are oem colors, not black.

sgvkirbster (10-21-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 09:49 AM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

I cant wait to see this installed. Also interested in purchasing hood.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I like how Ferrari engine looks through glass window. However with F-type you could only see a plastic engine cover or top of fugly supercharger.

So it is not unlike a first floor office window with a view of a dumpster. Sure, you have a window...

Old 10-23-2017, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by sts-v
I cant wait to see this installed. Also interested in purchasing hood.
I will definitely post pictures on this thread when it's complete.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:39 PM

So my DarwinPro hood just came in today. Here are some pics of it before it gets painted and installed on my car. Notice that there is quite a bit of carbon fiber. And the glass is actual tempered glass, not plexiglass. Will post more pictures when everything is complete.....

The following 5 users liked this post by sgvkirbster:
Burt Gummer (10-27-2017), jaguny (10-26-2017), Panthro (11-03-2017), Phantomf4collector (05-15-2020), sts-v (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 06:05 AM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

So my DarwinPro hood just came in today. Here are some pics of it before it gets painted and installed on my car. Notice that there is quite a bit of carbon fiber. And the glass is actual tempered glass, not plexiglass. Will post more pictures when everything is complete.....

Awesome man, cant wait to see. What was total cost shipped and where did you end up buying from?

Old 10-27-2017, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Awesome man, cant wait to see. What was total cost shipped and where did you end up buying from?
If you're going to quote something with pictures please delete the pictures so we don't have to scroll past these giant things multiple times.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:13 AM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Looks good in a weird way.

But the regular finish portion looks rough, as you can see the texture on it. Looks like it will require a lot of sanding to give it a smooth finish to match the rest of the paint. Unless you plan on leaving it that way?

Old 10-27-2017, 09:42 AM

Thanx! Total was $2k shipped. Bought it direct from DarwinPro. Ask for Jackson. (908)487-9149. U have to bargain with him back and forth.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:44 AM

[

Btw, I wrapped the front lip pieces, side skirts, and side view mirrors in gloss black. The rear diffuser is wrapped in semi-gloss black.

Last edited by sgvkirbster; 10-27-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Panthro (11-03-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by MI-FType
Looks good in a weird way.

But the regular finish portion looks rough, as you can see the texture on it. Looks like it will require a lot of sanding to give it a smooth finish to match the rest of the paint. Unless you plan on leaving it that way?
As I've already stated, it's getting painted to match the car.