Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery ::FURIOUS::

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017 | 01:00 PM
|
Default Dead Battery ::FURIOUS::

Hey guys,

So ive had my 2016 Type S for over a year now the car was perfect for that whole time minus the SOS limited functionality light I was getting. I took my car to Rusnak to get it serviced for oil change and while there had them look at the SOS limited functionality and also update my sound system firmware.

Ever since then things have gone downhill. Every time I leave the car without driving it for half a day the battery drains the car struggles to turn on and the interior lights are off.

It got worse and worse and now the car is completely dead. I made an appointment for the earliest time with galpin jaguar they called saying they cant see me until Tuesday.. I said screw it ill go to Rusnak even though they screwed up my car and even they cant see me until Tuesday.

I can't find the battery anywhere to change it myself. I am stuck without a car without a loaner and am racking up the uber bill for going to my classes and work.

I am completely lost why a car battery dies when its not driven for a day especially a battery thats not even 2 years old. Why am i paying $900 a month for a car that I can't drive and what kind of service is this for a car that is that expensive. if i need to get it fixed I need it fixed right away.

Anybody else have this problem?

Old 12-20-2017 | 01:05 PM

Hi there fellow Burbank F owner! I go to Hornburg Jaguar WeHo Service Center. Look for Reid! Great experience with them so far

Old 12-20-2017 | 01:21 PM
|

Originally Posted by jamesv8s
Hi there fellow Burbank F owner! I go to Hornburg Jaguar WeHo Service Center. Look for Reid! Great experience with them so far
Thanks James didnt know there was a dealer at WEHO ill give them a call as well. I wonder if ive seen you around im in a White Type S with Red Interior. I see a lot of F-Types nowadays but not very many are Type S

Old 12-20-2017 | 01:27 PM

No worries sir! I see a white vert along Olive. You might have haha Firesand Orange V8S

Old 12-20-2017 | 01:30 PM
|

Originally Posted by jamesv8s
No worries sir! I see a white vert along Olive. You might have haha Firesand Orange V8S
Mines a Coupe, but im always on Olive. I may have seen you I think ive only seen one Orange F Type.

Old 12-20-2017 | 01:31 PM

Not necessarily cause and effect...I've had my service writer tell me about MANY OEM batteries that simply didn't live much longer than two years (this came up when I was calling about a sudden death of the battery in my X-Type- it had died at six years, to which he said that was probably a Jaguar record).

Old 12-20-2017 | 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by AHB900
Hey guys,

So ive had my 2016 Type S for over a year now the car was perfect for that whole time minus the SOS limited functionality light I was getting. I took my car to Rusnak to get it serviced for oil change and while there had them look at the SOS limited functionality and also update my sound system firmware.

Ever since then things have gone downhill. Every time I leave the car without driving it for half a day the battery drains the car struggles to turn on and the interior lights are off.

It got worse and worse and now the car is completely dead. I made an appointment for the earliest time with galpin jaguar they called saying they cant see me until Tuesday.. I said screw it ill go to Rusnak even though they screwed up my car and even they cant see me until Tuesday.

I can't find the battery anywhere to change it myself. I am stuck without a car without a loaner and am racking up the uber bill for going to my classes and work.

I am completely lost why a car battery dies when its not driven for a day especially a battery thats not even 2 years old. Why am i paying $900 a month for a car that I can't drive and what kind of service is this for a car that is that expensive. if i need to get it fixed I need it fixed right away.

Anybody else have this problem?
So not sure if this is what is happening to you, but there appears to be an issue after using the obdii port to read error codes. Apparently you have to disconnect and reconnect the battery otherwise it will drain. The way to tell is after you lock your car, give it 5 minutes or so and take a look inside. If the hazard light button is still lit up (it should light for only a couple minutes after locking the car) then that's what the issue is. Thinking maybe they hooked up a reader to get your error codes when they had your car. See thread below:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...d-port-181546/

Last edited by ElloM8; 12-20-2017 at 01:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Abarak (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017 | 03:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ElloM8
So not sure if this is what is happening to you, but there appears to be an issue after using the obdii port to read error codes. Apparently you have to disconnect and reconnect the battery otherwise it will drain. The way to tell is after you lock your car, give it 5 minutes or so and take a look inside. If the hazard light button is still lit up (it should light for only a couple minutes after locking the car) then that's what the issue is. Thinking maybe they hooked up a reader to get your error codes when they had your car. See thread below:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...d-port-181546/
THIS: very common issue. Ever since you took your car in and they accessed the OBD port, your car hasn't fully powered down.....and that has been making the battery weaker and weaker.

Pull the battery terminals and put your battery on a trickle charger......better yet, wire it for a maintenance charger and keep it plugged in - even without your issue these cars are hard on batteries.
Dave

Old 12-20-2017 | 03:35 PM
|

Well I hope its really as simple as unplugging the battery. I just wish they could accommodate me quickly as i really need my car.

Old 12-20-2017 | 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by AHB900
Well I hope its really as simple as unplugging the battery. I just wish they could accommodate me quickly as i really need my car.
This is something you could try immediately yourself without having to visit the dealer. As has been said, this is one of the more common problems that has been reported on these forums and seemingly pulling the battery terminals fixes it in 99% of the cases.

Old 12-20-2017 | 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

It seems like the low battery voltage issue is a problem on many modern Jaguars. Many of the X150 folks have resorted to installing AGM batteries, which charge faster and self-discharge at a much slower rate than a standard lead acid battery.

Old 12-20-2017 | 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
It seems like the low battery voltage issue is a problem on many modern Jaguars. Many of the X150 folks have resorted to installing AGM batteries, which charge faster and self-discharge at a much slower rate than a standard lead acid battery.
Thing is, all F-Type OEM batteries are AGM!

Old 12-20-2017 | 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

AHB,
Just disconnect the battery for about 10 to 15 seconds and it will solve your problem. If you need help finding the battery, just p.m. me.

Old 12-20-2017 | 07:43 PM

Did anyone mention the battery is in the trunk?

I had a “battery low, turn on engine” light when the car sat. It didn’t help either bc I’d sit in the car and listen to music.

Jaguar Marin tested all systems (?) and didn’t find any error codes, but they gave me a new battery anyway. I thought my alternator was going bad but no.

Worst case scenario is “parasitic drain.” The car is never fully off because of all the electronics. Diagnosing would involve pulling one fuse at a time and testing something. Sorry I can’t provide precise terminology but you can Google it.

I don’t drive my car often but I’ll crank it up when it hasn’t been driven for a few days.

Last edited by Jagged Wire; 12-20-2017 at 07:49 PM. Reason: added content
Old 12-20-2017 | 08:21 PM
Veteran Member

As mentioned above several times, once you connect to the OBD (diagnostic) port and check for trouble codes, the electronics never fully shut down until the battery is disconnected and reconnected. This is the "battery module reset" you might hear about or have seen mentioned.

My dealer is aware of this because some insurance companies are now offering discounts it you drive with a monitor on your car for a while, and it plugs in to that port. They've seen issues with cars so equipped.

I drive my car most every day, but it only takes from one night to the next morning to show the low battery message if I connect a reader for any reason.

Old 12-20-2017 | 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Strange.
I regularly plug in a code reader (iCarsoft i930) to the OBD2 port, and I occasionally plug in an elm327 to connect to the Torque app on my phone, I have never disconnected or reset the battery, and I have never had a single battery problem and that's with the original now three year old battery.
The only thing that I can think of is that when I lock the car I always double lock it, and I do that every single time I get out of the car for any more than a couple of minutes.

Edit - and three sessions with the VTech tool from VAP.

Last edited by OzXFR; 12-20-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-20-2017 | 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jagged Wire
Did anyone mention the battery is in the trunk?

I had a “battery low, turn on engine” light when the car sat. It didn’t help either bc I’d sit in the car and listen to music.

Jaguar Marin tested all systems (?) and didn’t find any error codes, but they gave me a new battery anyway. I thought my alternator was going bad but no.

Worst case scenario is “parasitic drain.” The car is never fully off because of all the electronics. Diagnosing would involve pulling one fuse at a time and testing something. Sorry I can’t provide precise terminology but you can Google it.

I don’t drive my car often but I’ll crank it up when it hasn’t been driven for a few days.
I left my car in the garage for 4 weeks in cold February weather this year while I was travelling in Japan, started first time when I got in it on my return - and my battery was 3 years old at that time. If you have starting problems after a few days I would say that's not normal.

The following users liked this post:
Jagged Wire (12-21-2017)
Old 12-20-2017 | 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
As mentioned above several times, once you connect to the OBD (diagnostic) port and check for trouble codes, the electronics never fully shut down until the battery is disconnected and reconnected. This is the "battery module reset" you might hear about or have seen mentioned.

My dealer is aware of this because some insurance companies are now offering discounts it you drive with a monitor on your car for a while, and it plugs in to that port. They've seen issues with cars so equipped.

I drive my car most every day, but it only takes from one night to the next morning to show the low battery message if I connect a reader for any reason.
Wow.
Sorry I said anything.

Old 12-20-2017 | 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagged Wire
Wow.
Sorry I said anything.
No offense intended. Your experience is valid. There seems to be a known issue after connecting something to the OBD port and I experience it consistently. Both my ScanGauge and a quality bluetooth adapter cause this, but the handheld unit from VAP does not. This puzzles me, but I don't have access to the inner workings of it all.

Something in the firmware seems to be not dealing well with connections, and is likely not in conformance with OBD port specs.

Old 12-20-2017 | 11:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Strange.
I regularly plug in a code reader (iCarsoft i930) to the OBD2 port, and I occasionally plug in an elm327 to connect to the Torque app on my phone, I have never disconnected or reset the battery, and I have never had a single battery problem and that's with the original now three year old battery.
My guess is that the newer models with the single battery start stop systems are the only ones effected by this.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery ::FURIOUS::