Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealer antics

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 08:32 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default dealer antics

Really-I mean really

Taking delivery tomorrow afternoon- get a call from the "closer" today- he wanted to review my options. Agreed price - ok, taxes - ok, tint - ok, v1 hardwire - ok, DuPont------- "
me" what??? whats DuPont?"
him "that's the coating you ordered- its on the order form, Im sure your salesman told you about it."
me "what coating"
him "its a spray so you ll never need to wax, wheels wipe clean guaranteed for 5 years, handles everything tree sap, bird droppings etc"
me-" I never ordered it would never order it and no nothing about it"
him" oh no you must have ordered it - its already been applied"
me " I never ordered it I rejex my own wheels and wax my own car- have it removed"
him' "oh- we cant do that"
me " well you then have a problem"
him "well I guess we need to give you a gift, it is 400$"
me "not my fault, thanks"

reminds me of the days of dealers putting on the undercoating in the 80's
but this isnt a lumina. Frankly surprised never expected of jaguar

I wonder how many pay for it?

Old 04-29-2015, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

so they throwing in the coating for free?

Old 04-29-2015, 08:47 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

the coating I didn't order - they are not charging me for
the ease with which he relented on it makes me suspect that this accidental application occurs a lot and they make out by selling it 50% of the time

Old 04-29-2015, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

I was offered this treatment today too when paying for my vehicle. Turned it down obviously and payed the guy at the same time. This should be handled during payment/signing.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by plmmd
Really-I mean really

Taking delivery tomorrow afternoon- get a call from the "closer" today- he wanted to review my options. Agreed price - ok, taxes - ok, tint - ok, v1 hardwire - ok, DuPont------- "
him "that's the coating you ordered- its on the order form, Im sure your salesman told you about it."
me "what coating"
him "its a spray so you ll never need to wax, wheels wipe clean guaranteed for 5 years, handles everything tree sap, bird droppings etc"
me " I never ordered it I rejex my own wheels and wax my own car- have it removed"

I prefer that "antics" come from any number of comedy troupes; Marx Bros if I want to date myself (I like classic movies, what can I tell you) or Jon Stewart if I want to be au currant. In any event one does not expect to be surprised like you were, particularly from a first class brand [name] like Jaguar. Wonders never cease.

Or, as P.T. Barnum would say, "there's a sucker born every minute" - glad you didn't get suckered - followed by a David Mamet line, "and two to take 'em".

Congratulations on your new F-Type!

Last edited by RickyJay52; 04-29-2015 at 08:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (04-30-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Funny, when I was taking delivery of my car, my salesperson asked me if I wanted the warranty for the "interior protectant" (think scotch-guard). I asked him to explain...

Basically, the protectant is always applied to the leather (or suede) interior, so the interior is protected from spills, HOWEVER, they don't warranty that a spill will be wiped up and not stain, UNLESS you buy the warranty. So, the product is always applied no matter if I but the "warranty" or not, you just don't guarantee it to work unless I pay extra? My salesperson pretty much laughed with me and said, "I just have to offer it to you..."

No Thanks.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:16 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

I would come unglued, some people believe in those coatings, I don't. Wax or sealant won't stick now, your not supposed to need them, but theses coatings never look as good IMO. The coating will eventually wear off, like a second clear coat. It can be removed, but with rubbing compound I believe, but wouldn't be recommended. Opti-coat is said to be the best permanent sealant, that's probably the only one to trust.

I wouldn't take the car, but that's just me. I'm sure the car looks beautiful.

Last edited by SoCalJagS; 04-29-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:44 AM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Really-I mean really

me "what coating"

Hey, you got a bargain. I was offered the coating and interior protectant for $1200 but declined as I was already scheduled to have a 3rd party ceramic coating applied. A couple weeks later the dealer called and said I was still eligible for the coating and it also included wheel protection. I told them I already had another coating applied and they insisted on knowing what the coating was. Not their car - none of their business.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Really-I mean really

me "what coating"

Not me, and on another note....Enjoy your car, as this is just a bunny hill in the process that you got over with flying colors. Good for you!!!

Old 04-30-2015, 12:30 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

These dealer antics drive me insane. Pretty much nothing they offer is worth having full stop. If it is worth having, it is available for considerably less elsewhere.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

I ordered a BMW Mini about a decade ago having spent some time working through the options and agreeing a price with the salesman. I put a deposit on it when ordering.

4 months later it was ready for collection. Only when I was about to sign and pay the balance did the Finance Exec arrive and try to strong arm me into buying their Gap Insurance.

Not impressed.

Still, I made a point of reading through all the details and asking clarification questions. And said no.

When ordering the F I went through all the items that could be sprung at the last minute having got prices from Third Party suppliers. Funny thing, they declined to Price Match...

Old 04-30-2015, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Dealers are now using services to put on every car. You get it whether you pay or not. Reminds me of the old alarm scam dealer used to do, on every car just not activated.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Seems like a 'low brow' dealer to me.. the one I have bought my last three Jaguars from would not even consider doing this, based on my experience.
Lawrence

Old 04-30-2015, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

When I was in the business,we'd call that "mop & glow" and while I tried talking all my clients out of it,once they got to the "closer",he'd put the screws to them...let's just say usually the best salesman are in finance.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:59 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,110 Likes on 1,409 Posts

After not having been given the time of day by my dealer, I just got an email that at my next visit (which happens to be next week), I'm eligible for... wait for it... a manicure or pedicure at the spa next door.

Imagine my excitement.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:39 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
After not having been given the time of day by my dealer, I just got an email that at my next visit (which happens to be next week), I'm eligible for... wait for it... a manicure or pedicure at the spa next door.

Imagine my excitement.
Tell them you would rather have the money.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS

Imagine my excitement.
It's 4:46.

At a minimum it should be manicure and pedicure.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:27 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

This is the one time I'm hoping the dealer will send me a questionnaire after the service appointment.

1. Make appointment online.
2. Email from service person, saying there was a 'glitch', and offers date 3 weeks out.
3. I accept via email.
4. The day before my appt, I realize I never got a confirmation, so I call to check. My appointment is for Christmas day. I schedule a new appt, 3 weeks out again. (That's a total of 6 weeks.) I send an email to the general manager and my service advisor. Advisor confirms the appt. Service person who had emailed about the previous appt is no longer with the dealer.
5. Took the car in for my appt on Tue, 6 weeks after making the initial appt. Got an XF as a loaner. No call Tue evening, so I call and confirm the car isn't ready. (No big deal.)
6. Call Weds afternoon, leave a voicemail for advisor as I haven't heard a peep.
7. Leave a voicemail Thu morning, still haven't heard a peep.
8. Receive a voicemail saying they're very busy and haven't looked at the car yet.

Car is in for scheduled maintenance and a few oddities. Other Jag dealers in Boston area aren't very convenient, but I'm tempted to pick up the car tomorrow if they haven't touched it, and go elsewhere.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
This is the one time I'm hoping the dealer will send me a questionnaire after the service appointment.

1. Make appointment online.
2. Email from service person, saying there was a 'glitch', and offers date 3 weeks out.
3. I accept via email.
4. The day before my appt, I realize I never got a confirmation, so I call to check. My appointment is for Christmas day. I schedule a new appt, 3 weeks out again. (That's a total of 6 weeks.) I send an email to the general manager and my service advisor. Advisor confirms the appt. Service person who had emailed about the previous appt is no longer with the dealer.
5. Took the car in for my appt on Tue, 6 weeks after making the initial appt. Got an XF as a loaner. No call Tue evening, so I call and confirm the car isn't ready. (No big deal.)
6. Call Weds afternoon, leave a voicemail for advisor as I haven't heard a peep.
7. Leave a voicemail Thu morning, still haven't heard a peep.
8. Receive a voicemail saying they're very busy and haven't looked at the car yet.

Car is in for scheduled maintenance and a few oddities. Other Jag dealers in Boston area aren't very convenient, but I'm tempted to pick up the car tomorrow if they haven't touched it, and go elsewhere.
Talk of lack of - no - customer service. I'd go elsewhere if I was you or contact the General Manager immediately [via phone] and express your dismay. And if that didn't work - and assuming you want anything to do with this service department - try to contact the owner of the dealership. I would almost guarantee you a rapid response (and a equally rapid apology), even if there are no guarantees in life.

Good luck!

Old 05-28-2015, 03:40 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

The owner is Herb Chambers, who owns 50 dealerships and is a self-made billionaire.

I may ping the GM again.

Quick Reply: dealer antics