Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealers OK with VAP Tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
But seems largely focussed on the UK market with respect to diesel engined vehicles, (DPF) of which so far, I don't believe there is an F-Type model.

It also may have no bearing on how Jaguar USA regards warranty issues.

The XE is offered in diesel here. I know because they keep giving them them as loaners

Old 09-27-2017, 09:43 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

I'm quite confident that a similar letter has been issued by JLR for all markets worldwide and for each vehicle type they manufacture.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

But seems largely focussed on the UK market with respect to diesel engined vehicles, (DPF) of which so far, I don't believe there is an F-Type model.

Agreed, it's directed to "All UK Authorised Repairers" and says ".... in particular the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) circuit".
I had a diesel XF (2010 XFS) and I fitted a tuning chip to it and I very nearly gutted/removed the DPF but upgraded to an XFR before I did so. The DPF is the Devil's own invention, it clogs up at the drop of a hat and causes no end of problems, so of course many Jag diesel owners (S type, XF, XJ) looked to remove the damnable thing and/or to tune the motor for more power and especially more torque. Removing the DPF necessitates some fiddling with the ECU software to fool it into believing the DPF is still there, otherwise you get CELs and Restricted Performance mode. The 3.0 twin turbo V6 diesel is easily and cheaply tuned to 700 Nm of torque or more with very little downside, so like me many did so. The bulletin is obviously directed at diesels not petrols, but that said the same principles would apply across the board, model range and planet.

Last edited by OzXFR; 09-27-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I can't imagine that the official policy in the US would be much different.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,490 Likes on 908 Posts

The service messages have at the top which models they are applicable for. In this case it is Models - All.

I suspect it is specifically mentioning diesels because it seems to be very common for those to get an upgrade in the UK compared to petrol models.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:00 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
The XE is offered in diesel here. I know because they keep giving them them as loaners
You are making me nervous. Anxiously awaiting a new thread on the unfortunate circumstances you have been experiencing as of late.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I can't imagine that the official policy in the US would be much different.

From a previous thread regarding tunes and warranty coverage we gleaned this official statement from Jaguar USA.....

".....alteration or modification of the vehicle, including changes to the body, chassis, or any tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or with other parts that affect these systems may impact coverage of your factory warranty for those items impacted."

And from the bulletin mentioned in this thread......

".....calibration files into the Engine Control Modules, or through add-on hardware. Other power upgrades may also
be available, and in all cases, warranty responsibility on any affected component does not lie with Jaguar Land
Rover."

Same policy, in essence, but notice the difference.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-28-2017, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
I'm quite confident that a similar letter has been issued by JLR for all markets worldwide and for each vehicle type they manufacture.

No doubt.

And you can bet that every other car builder has similar policies and statements. I've never come across one who didn't.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-05-2021, 02:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming that the installation of the tune will void the warranty unfortunately. I have order the VAP tune and lower crank pulley myself as well...it's a risk but based on what I have read on the forums, it sounds like a worthwhile one.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:22 AM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

1. Buy a 4 year old F-Type R or SVR 2. Beat the hell out of it for 1 month to see if there are any issues. Leaks, rattles, whatnot. 3. Tune and modify to your liking.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:41 AM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If there ever is an issue with the engine or possibly the sensors that the engine uses data from(i.e. oxygen sensor), the dealer may not warranty depending on the place. With a tune in the PCM, they throw a code for aftermarket tuning. Saw this once with a customer car that needed an engine. Jag declined warranty replacement due to code that stated aftermarket tune.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Rummy636
If there ever is an issue with the engine or possibly the sensors that the engine uses data from(i.e. oxygen sensor), the dealer may not warranty depending on the place. With a tune in the PCM, they throw a code for aftermarket tuning. Saw this once with a customer car that needed an engine. Jag declined warranty replacement due to code that stated aftermarket tune.
Depends entirely on the dealer.

Old 01-06-2021, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

While dealer might cover up/look the other way a tune for repeat customer that purchased multiple new vehicles from them, it is unlikely to be true for someone that purchased a used car from a third-party and is now bringing it to them.

Old 01-06-2021, 12:39 PM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Problem is to put in a new engine under Jaguar warranty, you need to upload certain documents and read of codes to get proper authorization for replacement. If they see that code for aftermarket tune, its an automatic rejection.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 429 Likes on 313 Posts

i have xf portfolio and had a waterpump and crossover pipe repaired under warranty , with a stage 1 vap tune with no problem under warrenty

Old 01-07-2021, 12:59 AM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

This has been discussed many times but I hope I can clarify this to all,,

1. The dealer has no issue of you tuning your car. If you tune your car then it breaks the dealer will happily repair it under warranty if JLR don't interfere/care. If a dealer declines your warranty work they lose the labor rate they are charging JLR. It is in your dealer's interest not to deny any warranty claim tuned or not because they get paid if they do the repair whether it is under warranty or outta your pocket.

2. Personally my service manager said "I don't care if you tune your XFR, matter of fact let me know if it is any good so I can tune my XJR (his is out of warranty). However if something goes wrong make sure you remove the tune before you bring it in. If one of my technicians flags it accidentally (puts it in the repair job card) that ecu has been modified JLR will most likely deny the claim if it is power-train related.

3. My service manager also mentioned that usually in every 10 failures of the same engine/model JLR will ask us to connect us online to the vehicle for diagnosis or send us a JLR engineer to further inspect. Usually JLR engineers will try to deny a claim if it has been modified (AND IT IS THEIR RIGHT TO DO SO). He said that JLR would trust our diagnosis and most of the time if it has been a common failure like a water pump, they will just ask us to send the report and approve the repair/warranty claim instantly.

4. Last thing my service manager said that you will find some service managers, advisors, or technicians decline a warranty claim if you are tuned even though if JLR didn't decline it. Reason being if they see the tune or modification and they turn a blind eye but then JLR suddenly asks for further inspection by connecting the engineers to the vehicle online or send a JLR engineer and they found out the dealership overlooked the tune, the dealership will loose their credibility and/or fined for doing so as they are considered cheating the system. Even though it is highly unlikely the modification didn't cause the failure but they (JLR) want any exit out of it if they can.

5. 1+1=2 it is as simple as that. If you tune your car you risk getting screwed if something goes wrong. It is their right to deny a claim if any modification is done what so ever other than factory settings unless approved by JLR prior to installation. With that being said. It all depends on your dealer and how far they are willing to help you out when **** happens. Keep in mind even if they go all out on helping you out JLR has the final say so it doesn't matter. My service manager promised me that he will do everything that he can to help me out if something were to go wrong and I need a warranty claim even though my vehicle is modified since I have a 12+ years of a relationship with his service senter and 5 vehicles but really what is his word? He could pass away the next week or change jobs or get fired or retired and then what? basically Keep in mind if you modify = you could be denied warranty

Best of luck and sorry for the long reply was just hoping I'd clarify as much as I could.

Old 01-07-2021, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 429 Likes on 313 Posts

all i did was returned it to stock tune and everything was gravy , got down the street then put back my stage 1 , then ripped it up on the highway home