F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership says low battery message normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 07:24 PM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Dealership says low battery message normal?

Do not listen to the dealership. I've had this 2016 for about 5 weeks. Of the last 5 weeks its been at the dealership for 5 days for stereo rattle fixes. During the last visit, I mentioned I had seen the low battery message multiple times. I was shown an internal letter from Jaguar that complaints of low battery were normal. Do not listen if they tell you this. This morning the car wouldn't start no matter how long I put it on a charger. I was surprised to see the voltage as low as 6.1 volts.
Previous to this I had a 2015 that was at the dealership for no less than 12 attempts to fix headliner, panel fitment issues and loose trim in 16 months. Since Jaguar out sources upholstery, they ruined my first F Type R. I think I've been more than patient with Jaguar.
I was hoping this 2016 was going to be problem free but so far its not looking good. I will update this post when I get the car back with their diagnosis why its draining the battery.

Attached Thumbnails Dealership says low battery message normal?-20160531_055642.jpg   Dealership says low battery message normal?-20160531_101214.jpg  

Last edited by RawwR; 05-31-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

You're right, it's NOT normal because many cars do not do this. Mine hasn't in 2 years. It's a defect (or perhaps multiple ones) that they appear to be clueless about with regard to diagnosis and resolution.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:33 PM
Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

If an F-Type draining it's battery is normal, then I guess mine is not-normal. I've had mine for 10 months, and it has sat for as long as 3 weeks at a time without being started. I have never had a "low battery" warning.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

I had this problem on my '13 XKR and they told me oh it's normal, then the electronics went haywire and the car was stuck in a low height parking deck... It seems all Jags drain batteries a bit to much.

After all of that they refused to bring me a battery, I had to walk a few blocks in a suit in Miami Weather to the Collection to BUY a 300 battery install it with makeshift tools and a mobile phone light. the car has 8800 miles and is under warranty and they could care less.

I just ordered a SVR and as long as I don't hear rattles I'll be ok

Old 06-01-2016, 12:13 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

6.1 volts?!? That battery is toast....a charger may get you started, but fat chance that the battery will ever work as it is designed...

Old 06-01-2016, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by RawwR
Do not listen to the dealership. I've had this 2016 for about 5 weeks. Of the last 5 weeks its been at the dealership for 5 days for stereo rattle fixes. During the last visit, I mentioned I had seen the low battery message multiple times. I was shown an internal letter from Jaguar that complaints of low battery were normal. Do not listen if they tell you this. This morning the car wouldn't start no matter how long I put it on a charger. I was surprised to see the voltage as low as 6.1 volts.
Previous to this I had a 2015 that was at the dealership for no less than 12 attempts to fix headliner, panel fitment issues and loose trim in 16 months. Since Jaguar out sources upholstery, they ruined my first F Type R. I think I've been more than patient with Jaguar.
I was hoping this 2016 was going to be problem free but so far its not looking good. I will update this post when I get the car back with their diagnosis why its draining the battery.
First, as others have said to OP wouldn't accept this as normal. Wanted to hear more about Jag outsourcing their upholstering. Do you mean they source interior panels, seats, dash etc. from another company or complete install not by Jag too?

Old 06-01-2016, 05:20 AM
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Yup, I heard the "Battery Low" is normal, so I haven't disconnected it to recycle the module for a week (not my job), interestingly enough, the car starts fine, although the rear hatch does not open when I press the button.... I didn't have time to take her to the dealer yesterday, I'll do it today to see what they tell me now that I've emailed all the fault messages to them.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
I had this problem on my '13 XKR and they told me oh it's normal, then the electronics went haywire and the car was stuck in a low height parking deck... It seems all Jags drain batteries a bit to much.

After all of that they refused to bring me a battery, I had to walk a few blocks in a suit in Miami Weather to the Collection to BUY a 300 battery install it with makeshift tools and a mobile phone light. the car has 8800 miles and is under warranty and they could care less.

congrats Max, good to see you on this side of the forum.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:00 AM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA

Good to see you over here Max. What color, wheels, etc, did you order on your SVR. Can't wait to see it and what mods you do to it. When is your ETA.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny
First, as others have said to OP wouldn't accept this as normal. Wanted to hear more about Jag outsourcing their upholstering. Do you mean they source interior panels, seats, dash etc. from another company or complete install not by Jag too?
The local dealership uses an upholstery shop to perform the installation and repairs.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Grumpy Finn
Yup, I heard the "Battery Low" is normal, so I haven't disconnected it to recycle the module for a week (not my job), interestingly enough, the car starts fine, although the rear hatch does not open when I press the button.... I didn't have time to take her to the dealer yesterday, I'll do it today to see what they tell me now that I've emailed all the fault messages to them.
The rear hatch not opening is the first symptom. If you are using Palm Beach Jaguar do not listen to their advice.

The following users liked this post:
Grumpy Finn (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

The rear hatch not opening is the first symptom. If you are using Palm Beach Jaguar do not listen to their advice.
+1.Next step is a completely dead battery. I suspect there is a whole batch of faulty Energy Control Modules. I am ok with resolving the issue with an occasional power off reset.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:23 PM

Yeah, She's in the shop at the moment with pictures, they already called and asked the good old "do you leave your key in the car", and "I see you pull power from the mirror, do you leave it on all night".... Well, I have a brand new F-pace on a test drive UNTIL it's fixed, it HAD 12 miles when I got it

Old 06-01-2016, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

The local dealership uses an upholstery shop to perform the installation and repairs.
Thanks for the clarification.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

How to get the service advisor to turn red in the face:

"If a low battery is normal, why would they call it low, and why
would a warning be displayed? Warnings are for abnormal situations
and low is of course not the same as normal."

The following 2 users liked this post by plums:
Mbourne (06-02-2016), Misujerr (08-11-2017)
Old 06-01-2016, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
How to get the service advisor to turn red in the face:

"If a low battery is normal, why would they call it low, and why
would a warning be displayed? Warnings are for abnormal situations
and low is of course not the same as normal."
Yes!

The following users liked this post:
Grumpy Finn (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes!
Now say it three times really, really fast

Old 06-02-2016, 05:07 AM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I've not had one problem with my car in the 7 months I've had it. At one stage it sat (untouched but not unloved) for about 6 weeks while I was overseas and when I got back it started up no problem at all. It's nonsense to say a low battery warning is normal.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by trainfan
I've not had one problem with my car in the 7 months I've had it. At one stage it sat (untouched but not unloved) for about 6 weeks while I was overseas and when I got back it started up no problem at all. It's nonsense to say a low battery warning is normal.

This is my experience as well over the 13 months I have had mine.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:00 PM

If you are using Palm Beach Jaguar do not listen to their advice.
last time I had an argument with the service I didn't buy a car from them and made clear why, took me 2 years to walk back to the store.

Well, they finally could reproduce the battery failure. The battery was charged at 82% when I dropped it off, they did not disconnect the battery to clear the message, today the battery had failed. New battery this time. we'll see if that takes care of the faults and other messages.

Quick Reply: Dealership says low battery message normal?