Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From deathbed to roadbed - A rebuild story

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 12:14 PM
UC3
Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpowerr
...since they don't really care at the auction and move the cars around constantly using a forklift...
You are absolutely correct. They only move them around with a fork and the minimum wage drivers simply don't care. I removed the under side covers looking for anything punctured prior to firing it up. Looks like I escaped with minimal cosmetic damage from the treatment at the auction. The front lower diffuser cover in gloss black has a small damaged area from either contact with the loader or when loading it onto the transportation rig. When we unloaded it with the rollback I noticed the vehicle in front was a pickup and it had a protruding hitch that could have caused it. I have known people who have bought run and drive units that arrived with punctured transmissions, transfercases and/or oil pans. I bought my son a lightly hit Audi A4 Euro several years ago with the intention of just replacing the front bumper and parts...and it had a punctured oil pan. I ended up doing a complete bottom end on the engine, but could never prove if it was done at the yard or in the accident.

Replacing that diffuser panel is one reason I removed the front bumper yesterday...so I could get to the screws. I removed both the grill and the lower diffuser before putting the bumper back on with the expectation to replace all those parts with gloss black options.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:15 PM
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for sharing the progress.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:18 PM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

Since it appears the drivers side wheel assembly looks like it took the brunt of the impact..are you going to replace the caliper and rotor as well to play it safe?

Old 04-05-2017, 01:15 PM
UC3

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
Since it appears the drivers side wheel assembly looks like it took the brunt of the impact..are you going to replace the caliper and rotor as well to play it safe?
Oddly enough, it looks like the wheel was turned all the way to the left upon impact which with the additional leverage added in wrenched the spindle assembly from the lower control arm allowing the entire assembly to swing back into the firewall consequently destroying the ABS system. However, it does not appear to have been a brutal impact, but more of a shear on the wheel. I cannot find any additional impact damage on the rotor, caliper, or steering components. I will know a lot more when I get her on an alignment machine and/or up to speed.

From what I can tell, I think this car was in a right turn powerslide with the wheel turned all the way to the left when it went into a tire wall. The entire left side is covered in black rubber. I was able to use rubbing compound and clean the front and rear bumpers so they will not even require painting. Either someone had a very bad track day event or was sideswiped by a very tall vehicle with big tires because all the damage is below window height, was not generated by a single point of heavy impact, and appears to be caused primarily by a black rubber object...

Last edited by UC3; 04-05-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:37 PM
UC3

Found and purchased a complete left door. Looks like the only major body part I am missing is the front left fender...and I have yet to locate one. Well, let me correct that statement slightly. There is 1 on ebay...with a rip in the bottom corner and they are asking $30 less than a new one from the dealership. So, I am still looking. If I don't locate one soon, I will just order it new from Jaguar.

So, wheels, tires, lower control arm, ABS unit, wiring harness, mirror, door, fender vent, hinges, rocker molding, molding clips, and composite bumper bracket are all in transit. Delivery guy is gonna hate me for the next week...

Last edited by GGG; 04-06-2017 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Never use that word on this forum
Old 04-05-2017, 05:54 PM
UC3

Wheels just arrived...

I had to check brake clearance on the front just for my own peace of mind...and they clear with no issues. I will get them mounted up and installed tomorrow. The lower control arm is supposed to arrive tomorrow too. ....now if only the ABS parts would get here...

Old 04-05-2017, 05:58 PM
Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a few parts lying around from my rebuild...

Old 04-05-2017, 06:03 PM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by PolkNole
I have a few parts lying around from my rebuild...
]
I'm surprised no ones picked up the exhaust bits! If you were in SoCal, I'd pick up the mid pipe assembly from you.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
I'm surprised no ones picked up the exhaust bits! If you were in SoCal, I'd pick up the mid pipe assembly from you.
Well I haven't exactly marketed them - they've been lying in a pile for a year now.

Y'all want to see a real before and after?? My car was MUCH worse, and it's been flawless now for a year and a half. I'm not sure I dare show it...too gruesome for some on this board!

Old 04-05-2017, 06:09 PM
UC3

I want a coupe so this 'vert will be sold at some point this summer. If I need the right quarter when I start on a coupe, I will contact you and see if you still have it...

Old 04-05-2017, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by UC3
I want a coupe so this 'vert will be sold at some point this summer. If I need the right quarter when I start on a coupe, I will contact you and see if you still have it...
Yeah that's the thing - Jaguar will NOT sell to anyone but their certified body shops. it was a booger getting parts. We had to rob and beg for the parts. Jaguar did NOT want our money! We had to make some parts out of solid blocks of aluminum instead!

Old 04-05-2017, 07:19 PM
UC3

Fortunately I used to own a body shop and kept the name when I sold out. I still have my shop accounts active and am still registered with DuPont so I can get the Chromax Pro waterborne automotive paint etc. I doubt I would have an issue getting the parts from the Jaguar dealership because I have an established account there. Let me know if you need something else, and I will try to get it for you. If I can't, I know the owners of other local shops so I should be able to acquire them...

Fabricating aluminum parts out of bullit blocks takes some seriously mad skills or someone with a good CNC and CAD knowledge. Hats off to you for that.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:17 AM
UC3

New wheels are mounted on the right side....still awaiting delivery of the new tires for the left side.

I think I am going to want to run a 3/8 - 1/2" spacer in the rear to get the width I want...

Old 04-06-2017, 11:48 AM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

That's great to hear yours escaped with minor damage. I had a customer of mine bring me a m3 to rebuild and get running that he had bought from an insurance auction, back when I still had my shop. Putting it on the lift the first things I noticed were a cracked diff case and a puncture on the fuel tank along with a bunch of other fork indents on the tank. Some thing like a rock or similar must have been wedged between the fork and the tank to cause the puncture since it wasn't a small hole, if the forklift operator was not blind that would have been noticed.
My customer was told that's it was a run and drive, but once I told him about the underside damage and he contacted the auction people, he was basically told to **** off...

Old 04-06-2017, 02:26 PM
UC3

Originally Posted by Mpowerr
...he contacted the auction people, he was basically told to **** off...
That sux big time. I hope you were able to rebuilt it for him so he could at least get some enjoyment from his misfortune...

Old 04-06-2017, 02:32 PM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by PolkNole
Yeah that's the thing - Jaguar will NOT sell to anyone but their certified body shops. it was a booger getting parts. We had to rob and beg for the parts. Jaguar did NOT want our money! We had to make some parts out of solid blocks of aluminum instead!
Yes, I want before and after shots. Must see now!

Old 04-06-2017, 02:40 PM
UC3

Originally Posted by Mueller
Yes, I want before and after shots. Must see now!
Me too!

Old 04-06-2017, 02:42 PM
UC3

Found a left fender and purchased it. Should have about all the exterior parts on order now...but this waiting for them to arrive is NOT going well.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:26 PM
UC3

Lot of progress today. Lower control arm replaced, ABS mounted, wiring completed, and a short test drive. Time for an alignment on Monday

Old 04-08-2017, 04:31 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by UC3
Found a left fender and purchased it. Should have about all the exterior parts on order now...but this waiting for them to arrive is NOT going well.
Too bad I just saw your request for a fender. I have left and right fenders in prefect condition that I'm going to try to sell soon. I replaced my fenders with the SVR fenders last month. But glad you finally located a fender.

Quick Reply: From deathbed to roadbed - A rebuild story