F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debate continues 6 vs 8 - Business Insider

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 09:44 AM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Debate continues 6 vs 8 - Business Insider

I'm glad there is room for all points of view regarding our F-type. Choosing the model that appeals to you is subjective and as long you're having fun driving your's everyone else's perspective is an academic exercise.

Article from Business Insider:
Jaguar F-Type V6 first drive - Business Insider

Old 05-13-2016, 10:14 AM
Received 401 Likes on 211 Posts

I'll take the V8 noise ANYDAY.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

While driving my F-type S, at no point outside of very track-specific situations do I think the car could use extra power. I already had to upgrade tires to stop it from spinning wheels going into third! With even more power it would be much harder to drive with MT, and electronic nannies would have to be even more draconian and invasive to stop people from over-indulging in throttle and losing control.

The car could use more low-end torque and could shed few pounds, but as a RWD you simply won't get to use full power of V8. So it is just extra weight at the front.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:38 AM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

To each his own.

I love my V8S roadster. I wanted a drop top. I did not want the coupe. In my world the roadster is better.

I wanted a V8. In my world a V8 is better.

I wanted a RWD and in my world a RWD F-Type drop top with a V8 is better.

Don't get me wrong. I love the full time 4WD of my Range Rover Sport with a V8 and proper All-Terrrain tires - I tossed the tires that came with the RRS. However, the RRS is meant for a different application.

The following 2 users liked this post by enfield:
mikelanzetta (05-14-2016), Schwabe (05-18-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by enfield
To each his own.

I love my V8S roadster. I wanted a drop top. I did not want the coupe. In my world the roadster is better.

I wanted a V8. In my world a V8 is better.

I wanted a RWD and in my world a RWD F-Type drop top with a V8 is better.

Don't get me wrong. I love the full time 4WD of my Range Rover Sport with a V8 and proper All-Terrrain tires - I tossed the tires that came with the RRS. However, the RRS is meant for a different application.

Yep, there all nice and to each their own, but for ME; it was V8 only, roadster only and RWD only.....and I'd have ordered the 8 spd ZF even if they did offer a manual tranny with the V8. Too much power? sure just like dozens of other cars out there from Corvettes and Mustangs to AMG's and BMW's......I wonder....do they argue that their AMG's have too much power on the Mercedes forums?

One thing I will argue about is the notion that you "can't use all the power of the V8"....BS. Even on the stock tires the V8 cars (yes even the RWD ones) are faster than their V6 counterparts.....yes, you have to practice some throttle control.

2 cents,
Dave

The following users liked this post:
Schwabe (05-18-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 12:27 PM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Yep, there all nice and to each their own, but for ME; it was V8 only, roadster only and RWD only.....and I'd have ordered the 8 spd ZF even if they did offer a manual tranny with the V8. Too much power? sure just like dozens of other cars out there from Corvettes and Mustangs to AMG's and BMW's......I wonder....do they argue that their AMG's have too much power on the Mercedes forums?

One thing I will argue about is the notion that you "can't use all the power of the V8"....BS. Even on the stock tires the V8 cars (yes even the RWD ones) are faster than their V6 counterparts.....yes, you have to practice some throttle control.

2 cents,
Dave

agreed, we always as for more power whether we need it or not

Old 05-13-2016, 02:12 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

In my eyes they are the same amounts of fun but the v8 can get you to jail quicker. I also like the v6 noise better. It's all personal prefferance.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 895 Posts

I just came out of an XKR into the V6 S. I would have been happy to have the 8 just for the engine note and quad pipes, but I have to say that the 6 is much more usable for me, I can put my foot down and accelerate without losing traction, jumping into traffic is easier, I am essentially able to get 70% out of the car instead of 50% (completely made up figures to demonstrate a point). I always had to drive the XKR with restraint, especially in the wet. The 6 can be lost, but only if I push it and I know where the limits are. I wouldnt say it is more fun, just different.

And the sound of the 6 under heavy acceleration is insane, though I havent sat in the 8. My XKR had the X pipe and resonator delete, it sounded great but Jag have managed to get the note inside the cabin in the f type when it was outside in the XKR.

I'd have the 8 for the quad pipes alone if they were the same price, but that aside, I think the 6 is a better fit for me.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:38 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I just came out of an XKR into the V6 S. I would have been happy to have the 8 just for the engine note and quad pipes, but I have to say that the 6 is much more usable for me, I can put my foot down and accelerate without losing traction, jumping into traffic is easier, I am essentially able to get 70% out of the car instead of 50% (completely made up figures to demonstrate a point). I always had to drive the XKR with restraint, especially in the wet. The 6 can be lost, but only if I push it and I know where the limits are. I wouldnt say it is more fun, just different.

And the sound of the 6 under heavy acceleration is insane, though I havent sat in the 8. My XKR had the X pipe and resonator delete, it sounded great but Jag have managed to get the note inside the cabin in the f type when it was outside in the XKR.

I'd have the 8 for the quad pipes alone if they were the same price, but that aside, I think the 6 is a better fit for me.
100% agree, you said it perfectly

Old 05-13-2016, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I happen to have the 8, R.. but have driven both, liked both and decided on the higher power etc.. I understand that some people prefer the sound of the 6, I seem to lean to the 8 from the sound perspective, but could do without the pops and cracks.

One area of misconception is the traction of the 8. Other than a stomped on standing start, the 8 is very well behaved as long as you have some of the traction control engaged.. so its fine with dynamic and sport at pretty much any speed to hammer it, as its quite safe. Its a total blast.

If I had the 6 I would be doing what many forum members are looking for, a tune for more power as I know myself well enough that I would want more.. right now the 8 is enough and if I ever tune it, it would be for pure over the top excitement, but not really required as I don't race it.

The F type in any form of engine is a pure joy to look at and fun to drive.
Lawrence.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

They're all good.....not sure why this even needs to be a "debate". Do the Z06 guys argue with the Z51 guys over on the 'vette forums? How about the GT500 and Boss guys on the Mustang forums?.....911 Turbo owners against non turboed 911 owners? seems a bit strange to me.

If you want a fast and powerful car, the v-6 F type delivers....you want faster and more power get the V8...fairly simple.

I took an old friend for a ride in my V8S yesterday and he called me today to say it was the most fun he's had in 30 years.....hopefully he was exaggerating!

Cheers,
Dave

Schwabe (05-18-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

I drove both the 8 and the 6 F-TYPE coupes at a Jaguar autocross course set up at a racing event. So the amount of seat time was limited.

For background, I have an XFR which dynamically is in a lower league, but I have great familiarity with the big motor and traction, etc. I was also one of the people chosen to drive the XE-S for a long weekend and took it for a very long drive one day through all types of driving scenarios.

My thoughts are that the 8 is for slow in, fast out drivers. The steering is heavier and you can't push the front end as hard without feeling understeer. Quick left right transitions aren't as rewarding either. But the pull out of corners and on straights is great.

The 6 S reminded me of a Porsche 911. Enough power, but not overwhelming, so you would do what you could to keep the corner speeds and revs up. If the corners were tight, you were super happy. If they became sweepers, still fun. Trying to get an adrenaline rush in a mile of straight road, adequate.

So I would sum it up as whether you are an "American" style driver or a "European" style driver. And it also depends on what types of road you use it on. British type country roads, 6 all day. Stop and go or high speed sweepers, I'll have an 8 please. My advice is make sure your test drive is representative of what you will do with the car. I really enjoyed a set of corners I typically take on my motorcycle in the XE. Took them in anger with the XFR and actually went faster, but it was a lot more work. So what you find satisfying will determine which to choose.

And both exhaust notes are very pleasing to me, so at that point it's just preference. Can't knock either.

The following 5 users liked this post by 2010 Kyanite XFR:
Foosh (05-13-2016), Mbourne (05-13-2016), mikelanzetta (05-14-2016), Schwabe (05-18-2016), Uncle Fishbits (05-19-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
I drove both the 8 and the 6 F-TYPE coupes at a Jaguar autocross course set up at a racing event. So the amount of seat time was limited.

For background, I have an XFR which dynamically is in a lower league, but I have great familiarity with the big motor and traction, etc. I was also one of the people chosen to drive the XE-S for a long weekend and took it for a very long drive one day through all types of driving scenarios.

My thoughts are that the 8 is for slow in, fast out drivers. The steering is heavier and you can't push the front end as hard without feeling understeer. Quick left right transitions aren't as rewarding either. But the pull out of corners and on straights is great.

The 6 S reminded me of a Porsche 911. Enough power, but not overwhelming, so you would do what you could to keep the corner speeds and revs up. If the corners were tight, you were super happy. If they became sweepers, still fun. Trying to get an adrenaline rush in a mile of straight road, adequate.

So I would sum it up as whether you are an "American" style driver or a "European" style driver. And it also depends on what types of road you use it on. British type country roads, 6 all day. Stop and go or high speed sweepers, I'll have an 8 please. My advice is make sure your test drive is representative of what you will do with the car. I really enjoyed a set of corners I typically take on my motorcycle in the XE. Took them in anger with the XFR and actually went faster, but it was a lot more work. So what you find satisfying will determine which to choose.

And both exhaust notes are very pleasing to me, so at that point it's just preference. Can't knock either.
Good post, and I agree w/ your analysis.

Uncle Fishbits (05-19-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Yep...depends entirely on who you are. The V8 for straight line and roundy round racers. The V6 for road racers. Neither an option for parking lot racers.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I decided I was wrong too....I want one of each type in a variety of colors.

Uncle Fishbits (10-05-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
I decided I was wrong too....I want one of each type in a variety of colors.
I lived in Newport Beach before the housing crash and my roommate met a realtor that had a white Bentley Continental for daytime and a black one for night. Thought it was a pretty douchie thing to do, but he let me drive the black one, so I can't say too much bad about the guy.

For me, the ideal garage would be XFR with F-TYPE S (if I could really fit in one for longer than 15 min).

Old 05-13-2016, 07:38 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I read these threads and I feel that we are trying to justify our purchases. As I said - different people like different thing. There is no need to justify why one bought a V6 vs. a V8. Then there is the RWD and AWD debate.

Just get out there and drive your purchase. Have fun! No-one has to justify why they bought what they bought. The reason Jaguar makes so many sub-types of the F-Type is because they understand what appeals to one person may not to another.

My justification is that I wanted a RWD V8 drop top.

I notice that the V6 buyers trashing the V8 - track vs. straight line stuff.... I do not see the V8 guys trashing the V6. Let me be the first one to trash the V6:

Enzo Ferrari stated that, "There is no replacement for displacement."

Why do you guys think Jaguar put the V8 engine in the F-Type SVR?

Last edited by enfield; 05-13-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

I read these threads and I feel that we are trying to justify our purchases. As I said - different people like different thing. There is no need to justify why one bought a V6 vs. a V8. Then there is the RWD and AWD debate.

Just get out there and drive your purchase. Have fun! No-one has to justify why they bought what they bought. The reason Jaguar makes so many sub-types of the F-Type is because they understand what appeals to one person may not to another.

I notice that the V6 buyers trashing the V8 - track vs. straight line stuff.... I do not see the V8 guys trashing the V6. Let me be the first one to trash the V6:

I didn't buy either and don't care which a person buys. I just know that people will look at this thread and try to determine which version is best for them. I tried to give an objective opinion of someone who has tried both and has no skin in the game.

And I'm certainly not trying to put down the 8 or the 6. I love them both, just in different ways. Depends on the place and mood.

And they put the 8 in the SVR because that's what the market says you should do to charge the most amount of money.

Last edited by 2010 Kyanite XFR; 05-13-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

LOL . . . you're just trying to justify your purchase.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:33 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

The article hit the nail on the head for me! As a previous E-type owner (and lots of other British sports cars), the F-type S with the manual feels like a proper (modern) English sports car.
But, hey, that's the cool thing about the F-type... you can get whatever floats your boat.

Quick Reply: Debate continues 6 vs 8 - Business Insider