F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debate continues 6 vs 8 - Business Insider

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 01:43 PM
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
That is done so you get a functional rear diffusor that increases downforce - which you need at the speeds you can only reach with the V8
Speeds that our sadly debilitated roadway systems cannot accommodate

Old 05-14-2016, 03:26 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 15 R rwd all the way

I got the 15 R because I wanted something that would keep me entertained while I'm driving it daily. I don't see how anyone can say I don't like it because it has to much power. Thats like saying I dont want to make more money because its to hard to spend it.

I feel an extreme bond with this car because you really learn what the car can take when you push it hard consistently and I love that I know the break loose points and how much I can get on it before its gets loose. The car becomes one with you. Love It!

Old 05-14-2016, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

U just made a switch from a 15 F-type s to a 16R. Could not be happier with this.

Only downside, I kind of like the center pipes and will miss this look a bit, but that is about all. Everything else was justified, and I get it in 4 weeks.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:53 PM
DFW
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Easy decision for me - I needed a manual transmission. Went with the V6S vert and enjoy it every day.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:50 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts

The 6 is by far the more practical car. But I don't buy cars like Jaguars to be practical, I buy cars like my Audi A3 and FX35 to be practical. Wait I got the V6 on the Audi and put a huge Stillen Supercharger on the FX. I'm just not practical... I apparently missed that meeting all together...

Old 05-15-2016, 02:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

I was out driving a little "spirited" yesterday on a rather deserted and very curvy country road (more or less no other trafic / people). Too much and tight curves to go too fast, but loads of oppertunity to accelerate out of the curves in 2. gear.

The most fun was finding the limit where the rear tires looses traction depending on throttle and steering input, and use that to learn how to make the most out of the available power.

And also learn how this changes when you get some heat in the tires.

Everything done with the DSC on (and in dynamic + sport + manual mode).

ps: I have noticed one thing regarding the DSC. In my 15 rwd R the ESC allows some rw spinn and drift before it rather gradually interveins. So it will give you access to full power out of the curve even though you are in a minor drift (and don't "stomp on the throttle").

But when I tested a 16 awd R on a track (testday by Jaguar) last year, I was mildly frustrated by the fact that the car would hold back on power going out of a corner as long as there was a "hint" of sideways slip. So the ESC would intervein a lot earlier and "stronger" than it does on my 15 rwd R. Same settings as I had with my R yesterday (dynamic/sport/manual with DSC on). Jaguar would not let us turn the DSC setting to trackdsc or off.

I don't know if this is down to being a 15 vs 16 or a rwd vs awd? But I am (positively) surpriced of what the DSC allows me to do before it "spoils the fun" (or saves my *** ) on my R.

Never felt the need for the trackdsc setting yet, but it would probabely be needed on the track to prevent overheating the brakes.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

as someone considering the ftype with no ownership bias here's my 2 cents

I am coming from a 2016 Cayman S

so far I have test driven, a 2016 AWD type S, a 2015 R, and a 2017 type S manual.

I preferred the 6 versions over the 8 for the accessibility of the power. About the only thing the 8 had over the 6 for me, was instant ridiculous power. But with the rwd version, I couldn't access the power. Everytime I tried to generously apply the throttle at lower speeds, the car broke traction and I had to back off.

The 6 versions didn't have that problem, I could "give er" and the car responded nicely.

Both sound great.

the manual tranny on the v6 seals the deal for me

Old 05-15-2016, 07:46 AM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Spirited discussion is what helps when looking to purchase when you are learning about a model and it's entertaining too.
+1. Spot on. Wasn't sure when I posted the link to the article if members would see value in it. The give and take is not only enjoyable to read but insightful as well. It's one of the reasons I get so much out of this forum whose strength is derived from its members.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (05-18-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by enderle
The 6 is by far the more practical car. But I don't buy cars like Jaguars to be practical, I buy cars like my Audi A3 and FX35 to be practical. Wait I got the V6 on the Audi and put a huge Stillen Supercharger on the FX. I'm just not practical... I apparently missed that meeting all together...
Was there a meeting?

Old 05-15-2016, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Arne
I don't know if this is down to being a 15 vs 16 or a rwd vs awd? But I am (positively) surpriced of what the DSC allows me to do before it "spoils the fun" (or saves my *** ) on my R.
I suspect it's an RWD vs AWD thing. Though I have the V6 and might not translate to the V8, my '16 V6 gets plenty of wheel spin in full DSC before it intervenes.

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-15-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I suspect it's an RWD vs AWD thing. Though I have the V6 and might not translate to the V8, my '16 V6 gets plenty of wheel spin in full DSC before it intervenes.
Ditto in my base V6, certainly in 1st and into 2nd, but also including a little wheel spin on high rev shifts into 3rd gear.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
In my fantasy world, if it were a light-weight twin-turbo version, it could develop as much HP or more than the even the 380 in the V6S. I doubt that will be the case, but I think it could be the best of the breed.
I wonder if it would drop much weight as a 4?

Old 05-15-2016, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
I wonder if it would drop much weight as a 4?
Certainly some, but to get substantial weight savings would require shedding weight all over the car. I don't expect that's going to happen until perhaps the next gen, but hopefully then.

But then, with the recent tweaks they're making to the body design, will it be as desirable as the classically beautiful original?

Old 05-15-2016, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Certainly some, ...
+1. At least to the extent that it's not carrying an additional 50 lbs. as a result of using the V8 block footprint.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Certainly some, but to get substantial weight savings would require shedding weight all over the car. I don't expect that's going to happen until perhaps the next gen, but hopefully then.

But then, with the recent tweaks they're making to the body design, will it be as desirable as the classically beautiful original?
As I commented in another thread I believe Audi has made the A5/S5 a less desirable design than the original. Jaguar will have a tough task to make the f type any more beautiful.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Business Insider .... hmmmm .... what a source ... to each their own buy what you like ... but the E-Type was not the gentlemen's racer as it is perceived today ... it was the fastest car on the road for the buck in its days ... it was bought for its speed and performnace in regards to the cost of buying a Ferrari or Lamborghini ... kind of like what you get nowadays with the F Type.... non useable power of the V8S is simply not true it is just a question of seat time. I will get around to editing some videos including Rt 125 in PA in pooring rain in a V8S pulleyed and tuned ... hanging with AWD 911 turbo, Gallardos and Huracans ... the supercharged V8 and its power delivery and noise not your cup of tea - fine ... just don't poo poo it ... because it will drive circles around the V6...

Queen and Country (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Schwabe
Business Insider .... hmmmm .... what a source ... to each their own buy what you like ... but the E-Type was not the gentlemen's racer as it is perceived today ... it was the fastest car on the road for the buck in its days ... it was bought for its speed and performnace in regards to the cost of buying a Ferrari or Lamborghini ... kind of like what you get nowadays with the F Type.... non useable power of the V8S is simply not true it is just a question of seat time. I will get around to editing some videos including Rt 125 in PA in pooring rain in a V8S pulleyed and tuned ... hanging with AWD 911 turbo, Gallardos and Huracans ... the supercharged V8 and its power delivery and noise not your cup of tea - fine ... just don't poo poo it ... because it will drive circles around the V6...
I agree with everything you said. However, I would like to clarify my past remarks about "non-usable power."

I obviously can't speak for others, but when I have referred to not being able to use the V8's power, I was talking about not being able to practically use it in normal street use without suffering consequences. There is absolutely no question that the extra power makes a huge difference on the track. The V8 will clean a V6's clock lap after lap, all day long.

I felt the same way about my Z06 and other crazy horsepower cars. I found myself constantly thinking that this car is completely wasted on the street.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-18-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Schwabe (05-19-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

I agree with everything you said. However, I would like to clarify my past remarks about "non-usable power."

I obviously can't speak for others, but when I have referred to not being able to use the V8's power, I was talking about not being able to practically use it in normal street use without suffering consequences. There is absolutely no question that the extra power makes a huge difference on the track. The V8 will clean a V6's clock lap after lap, all day long.

I felt the same way about my Z06 and other crazy horsepower cars. I found myself constantly thinking that this car is completely wasted on the street.
I agree with you...it's the same with high powered and race oriented street bikes; my ZX6R could exceed all speed limits in Canada in 1st gear (of 6)! ....but by the same token, this excess is true (albeit in varying degrees) of every high performance car made (and many non hi-performance cars for that matter).

Again, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I don't understand why the debate...or even the comparison really; If you want 340 hp, 380, 550 or even 575hp in your F type, then buy that one! Who's to say what you should or shouldn't buy? ....I get that some people are just trying to weigh alternatives but there even seems to be a hint of animosity here and there..... There is no question on the performance aspect, the numbers are out there.

2 cents,
Dave

The following 3 users liked this post by DPelletier:
Foosh (05-18-2016), Schwabe (05-19-2016), Smoke Em (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member

+1 I don't understand the debate either. Actually, I don't think it's really a debate at all. People are just expressing their feelings.

Speaking of feelings, wants, and needs, those are often subject to change over time. 10 years ago, I would have been one of those saying I'd never consider the V6 because I just have to have as much HP as possible.

Schwabe (05-19-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 04:20 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Jaguar put a V8 in the F-Type SVR.

I understand that my V8 is the weakest of them all. I accept that the R is Project 7 and SVR are faster.

End of debate.

Quick Reply: Debate continues 6 vs 8 - Business Insider