Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debate continues 6 vs 8 - Business Insider

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I don't understand the debate either. Actually, I don't think it's really a debate at all. People are just expressing their feelings.
+1. Most of the musings are folk's personal rationale for their own decision. In my case the car had to have an MT, and the V6 didn't feel as heavy in the turns as the V8. Would I have taken more power if it had been available? Of course, but that's my preference, and that's why I am undertaking the time, cost and risk to secure the optimal tune.

The following users liked this post:
Lightsaber (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 10:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. Most of the musings are folk's personal rationale for their own decision. In my case the car had to have an MT, and the V6 didn't feel as heavy in the turns as the V8. Would I have taken more power if it had been available? Of course, but that's my preference, and that's why I am undertaking the time, cost and risk to secure the optimal tune.
^^^A thousand times this.

My ideal car is a MT 4WD V8 that can put the power down. Think Evo or R34 but on steroids. It makes driving a religious experience.

The next best thing to have is a MT RWD V6 that can put the power down. It is still quite a religious experience and more fun to drive than Need for Speed, but its real advantage over anything automatic is that a manual makes a real car. An automatic, on the other hand, is like trying to have sex while wearing 3 layers of condoms.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:45 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

This thing about "putting the power down" is getting annoying.

I can put the "power down" in the V8 quite well. One needs to use the accelerator properly. The accelerator is not an "on" "off" switch. I can out accelerate a V6 F-Type at will even though my V8 is rated below 500 hp. I can also beat a V6 on a track all day long.

The only place the V6 is better is at fuel consumption.

That being said - we are all justifying our choices & that includes me. I have a mid range F-Type with the weakest V8 & RWD. Do I go around saying that the R, the project 7, & SVR are not as good as mine because I wanted a RWD convertible? No I don't. I accept the fact that the R, Project 7, & SVR are superior to my car. I still love my car - but I do not put the others down.

Cannot compare apples & oranges.

The following 3 users liked this post by enfield:
99Gsp (05-19-2016), Dremorg (05-19-2016), Schwabe (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lightsaber

Need for Speed, but its real advantage over anything automatic is that a manual makes a real car. An automatic, on the other hand, is like trying to have sex while wearing 3 layers of condoms.
Well...this is another subject to be carefully navigated or avoided altogether. People are very sensitive regarding their transmission preferences.

Lightsaber (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 07:47 AM
Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by enfield
This thing about "putting the power down" is getting annoying.

I can put the "power down" in the V8 quite well. One needs to use the accelerator properly. The accelerator is not an "on" "off" switch. I can out accelerate a V6 F-Type at will even though my V8 is rated below 500 hp. I can also beat a V6 on a track all day long.

The only place the V6 is better is at fuel consumption.

That being said - we are all justifying our choices & that includes me. I have a mid range F-Type with the weakest V8 & RWD. Do I go around saying that the R, the project 7, & SVR are not as good as mine because I wanted a RWD convertible? No I don't. I accept the fact that the R, Project 7, & SVR are superior to my car. I still love my car - but I do not put the others down.

Cannot compare apples & oranges.
+1

Old 05-19-2016, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Just posted a few pics in my Corsa rally thread of my unusable powered V8S forcing the hand on an arguably lighter, better handling and more powerful 6 cylinder than F Type ...

Old 05-19-2016, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Well...this is another subject to be carefully navigated or avoided altogether. People are very sensitive regarding their transmission preferences.
yes it is....it's offensive to say only standards are "real cars". I've owned dozens of manual transmission vehicles and still own several but I have a bad knee from a motorcycle racing injury (it's OK, it was a "real" motocycle with a standard transmission! LOL) as well as a wife that isn't comfortable driving a stick......so even if the F type V8 was available with the 6spd, I would have opted to go with the ZF.

It'd be the same as saying the V6 car isn't a "real" car; rude.

2 cents,
Dave

The following 2 users liked this post by DPelletier:
Smoke Em (05-19-2016), Unhingd (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
yes it is....it's offensive to say only standards are "real cars". I've owned dozens of manual transmission vehicles and still own several but I have a bad knee from a motorcycle racing injury (it's OK, it was a "real" motocycle with a standard transmission! LOL) as well as a wife that isn't comfortable driving a stick......so even if the F type V8 was available with the 6spd, I would have opted to go with the ZF.

It'd be the same as saying the V6 car isn't a "real" car; rude.

2 cents,
Dave
+1 from another 4-decade veteran of MTs.

It's also not a very smooth way of introducing yourself as a new forum member.

Unhingd (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 993 Likes on 743 Posts

We all have intended use and preferences that we prioritize when we make our decisions. I'm just glad that none of you here decided what car *I* had to have. Drive your own car: don't disparage mine.

My intended use was daily driving. That includes both commuting and driving for pleasure. I really wanted a manual transmission, and wasn't willing to give that up for V8 power (and the extra cost, and extra weight). Yes, cost was a factor, but not an overriding one. If it were, I'd have never considered the F-Type.

Still trying to come to grips with a few months without my car, while it gets fixed. I'll probably get crankier as time goes by.

Smoke Em (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Still trying to come to grips with a few months without my car, while it gets fixed. I'll probably get crankier as time goes by.
I feel for you, friend. Do you have an ETA on the repairs?

Old 05-19-2016, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 993 Likes on 743 Posts

I feel for you, friend. Do you have an ETA on the repairs?
The other driver's insurance company hasn't authorized anything yet. Once that happens, the shop will need to tear things down a bit to make a proper estimate. The short answer is "no."

Old 05-19-2016, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
What direction will this debate head when the 4 banger hits the market?
Link to the thread, where I ask this identical question of base, s, R and am getting some interesting responses-
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post1464211

I got the Manual. I won't drive a car without one. I know the R blew up the manual so, hence, no MT for that car. Would I have considered it? Nope. Too much money for sure. I couldn't even if I wanted to. But I drove a 123hp 4 cylinder 2L Jeep Wrangler for 20 years and 100% knew I would kill myself in the R. Deader than a doornail. I *do not* want to pay extra for that.

But it's not a conversation... I forget that these come in automatic. I had to drive a AT last week when my car was in for a clutch update.... it was the most bored I've been in years. Ugh.

But I think this conversation takes a massive turn when it is no longer 6 v 8, but 6&8 looking down at the 4's getting into spin out crashes at the end of cars and coffee.

The 4 will be the F-Types Mustang. LOL
Mustang Crashes Peeling Out Of Cars And Coffee For The Billionth Time

They will be buying these from Amazon and slapping them on. You think?

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 05-19-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Lightsaber (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Old 05-19-2016, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I know the R blew up the manual so, hence, no MT for that car.
I thought that was mere conjecture. Was an MT truly destroyed on an R test vehicle? If they limited themselves to ZF as the MT supplier, I could understand, but Tremec makes both a 5 and 6 speed that could easily handle an R, SVR or any highly tuned variation.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
+1 from another 4-decade veteran of MTs.

It's also not a very smooth way of introducing yourself as a new forum member.
I'm too old to care what others think, but I hope that I'm not the first to flame and be flamed in the transmission debate, and won't be the last.

Anyway, let us all hope that we get an option on more trims and models. That way, internet debates will continue, but every fan will be happy, being able to buy the car with his/her preferred type of transmission.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:55 AM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Deep Thoughts

Well maybe not so deep but needed a title. Anyway I drove from Bend to Portland yesterday and back in my V8S (typically I drive my A3 3.2 because I don't care about beating it up and you can hit snow at the high point of the trip, and I did but fortunately it was melting on impact).

I was able to maintain a very decent speed largely because the acceleration to pass is blindingly fast. And the engine sound is OMG wonderful. I do notice it is heavy in the corners and when I drove the V6S is was more planted which allowed a Chevy to keep pace with me for a while in the wet (wasn't going to risk meeting a tree at speed to push the Michelins). But as soon as I came up to a semi on the straight followed by 5 cars, I was simply gone.

Typically this is a three hour drive and I did it in about 3 hours even though there was heavy traffic coming out of Portland. Had a huge grin almost all the way until a Sherif lit me up but once he saw me slow he just kept on going. If I drove more corners or was going to aggressively track the car for competition there is no doubt I'd get the 6, though frankly I'd likely get something far cheaper because I'd be less worried about breaking it.

On the manual vs. auto thing, from my perspective I want both hands on the wheel all the time. When I was younger the fun of shifting was worth the risk but that is likely because I had no concept of what happens when you get it wrong. The last car I drove with a stick was a viper and I thought I was going to need a leg transplant after getting stuck in traffic and that took all the fun out of the shifter for me. Not knocking folks that like it, but I'm happy to have the car do the work for me and focus on staying on the road and out of someone else's trunk.

Now my latest purchase (which I'll pick up in Germany in September) is an GLA45 AMG which has a 4 cylinder engine putting out a whopping 350 ponies. It damned near sounds as good (with active exhaust) as the V8S and is a hatchback pretending to be a SUV. If you get a chance to drive one take it, as it is a ton of fun. But this showcases you can build a 4 cylinder engine that is pretty amazing.

You can see the video where it out performs the more expensive Porsche here:
I drove both cars but while the Porsche is very competent the 45 just left me grinning.

So my advice, pick the car that gives you the biggest grin. If that is a 4 cylinder with a manual or a V12 with an automatic the only one that truly cares is you. If it doesn't leave me grinning I don't buy it. Life is too short to miss out on every opportunity to smile at the world.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

I thought that was mere conjecture. Was an MT truly destroyed on an R test vehicle? If they limited themselves to ZF as the MT supplier, I could understand, but Tremec makes both a 5 and 6 speed that could easily handle an R, SVR or any highly tuned variation.

Anecdotal, but the dealer owner is a neighbor, his son works with the dealership but has his own supercar lot in LA, and is quite into them all, etc. When I ordered my 6, he mentioned that I should get the R, I explained I would kill myself and just really want a manual. He specifically said that they tried to build the manual in the 8 but it kept shredding off the teeth or whatever. I can't remember what he said precisely, but he did say it kept blowing it up. Also something to do with the AWD, too. I will ask when I see him again.

As for *ANY ONE OF US* truly having beef / shade / rumbles (or whatever the kids call it nowadays) about 6 vs 8 is really silly. We're all members of a delightful club called "understanding the up and comer before other people"...

If we had to find a *REAL* argument, I think it would be the top line "R" vs the SVR. The SVR sandwiched inbetween some custom to personal spec "R"s and the Project 7 seems weird to me. Why not order the car you want as an R, or a Project 7... but the SVR seems to be floating around in a weird middle space.

But again.... let's reorient the conversation to YAY WE ALL LOVE THESE THINGS SO MUCH WE WILL BANTER WITH OTHER OWNERS ABOUT WHICH ONE IS BEST!

Hey... how many permutations of F-Type are there?

base, s, r, svr, 7
vert or coupe
manual or AT

That's something like 12 without add-ons, etc. That's crazy.

The following 4 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
jf1 (05-21-2016), Lightsaber (05-21-2016), Mbourne (05-20-2016), Smoke Em (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Hey... how many permutations of F-Type are there
certainly enough for my needs.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:31 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

They're all good.....not sure why this even needs to be a "debate". Do the Z06 guys argue with the Z51 guys over on the 'vette forums? How about the GT500 and Boss guys on the Mustang forums?.....911 Turbo owners against non turboed 911 owners? seems a bit strange to me.

Dave
Well, to answer your question, YES they most certainly do! On a car forum, this discussion is in no way, shape or form strange or unusual.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

it's offensive to say only standards are "real cars".
Would you consider fully autonomous Google car a "real car"? Yes, from a point of view of getting from Point A to Point B. No, from a point of view of driver's machine.

So are automatic Jaguar F-types are real cars? Your answer will depend on why you purchased it and how you view the car.

Quick Reply: Debate continues 6 vs 8 - Business Insider