Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debate continues 6 vs 8 - Business Insider

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Overblown
Well, to answer your question, YES they most certainly do! On a car forum, this discussion is in no way, shape or form strange or unusual.
The reason I asked is precisely because this ISN'T common on the other car forums I've participated on. Really, most of us are just fine with the discussion, it's the thread title and article that fans the flames; most of the members here are far more civil than that.

Dave

Old 05-24-2016, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Would you consider fully autonomous Google car a "real car"? Yes, from a point of view of getting from Point A to Point B. No, from a point of view of driver's machine.

So are automatic Jaguar F-types are real cars? Your answer will depend on why you purchased it and how you view the car.
I don't think it's really an issue of perspective; I can fully appreciate a manual tranny equipped car.....I've owned dozens and there are many cars that I would prefer one in....in fact there are many that I wouldn't consider in an auto. I'll fully support the idea that someone prefers the 6spd but to suggest that the ZF equipped car isn't a "real" sportscar is ....."silly" (to be polite about it)
Anyone thinking a 500+ hp RWD, ZF paddle shifted F type isn't a "real car" or is boring to drive hasn't driven one. It's a silly assertion and a rude one IMO. The car is what it is and certainly isn't the "be all and end all" but "boring" doesn't seem to be a very apt description....which is probably why I've never heard that particular adjective being used when describing ANY F type up until now.

All this "drivers car" talk is all well and good but the reality is that the ZF is an excellent transmission by any and all accounts and is going to outperform the 6 spd in almost all circumstances. Every road test I've seen or read (which would be almost all of them) praise the ZF as a really good tranny. ....you won't catch me denigrating the guys that chose to buy a 6 spd because I think that's rude and I can appreciate their choice.

2 cents,
Dave

The following users liked this post:
Smoke Em (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 02:30 PM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
The reason I asked is precisely because this ISN'T common on the other car forums I've participated on. Really, most of us are just fine with the discussion, it's the thread title and article that fans the flames; most of the members here are far more civil than that.

Dave
Dave,

As the originator of the thread I'm not sure I understand how the title and article fan the flames and lack civility. On May 15 I posted in response to jagury's comment

Old 05-15-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguny View Post
Spirited discussion is what helps when looking to purchase when you are learning about a model and it's entertaining too.

Me:
+1. Spot on. Wasn't sure when I posted the link to the article if members would see value in it. The give and take is not only enjoyable to read but insightful as well. It's one of the reasons I get so much out of this forum whose strength is derived from its members.

-----------------

In summary, my intent was not to inflame. Yes some members are more passionate about the decision they made when they chose their model. This vehicle brings out passion. Civility and passion can coexist in a debate.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Would you consider fully autonomous Google car a "real car"? Yes, from a point of view of getting from Point A to Point B. No, from a point of view of driver's machine.

So are automatic Jaguar F-types are real cars? Your answer will depend on why you purchased it and how you view the car.

Yes, they're all real cars. Just, some are better than others.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 99Gsp
Dave,

As the originator of the thread I'm not sure I understand how the title and article fan the flames and lack civility. On May 15 I posted in response to jagury's comment

Old 05-15-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguny View Post
Spirited discussion is what helps when looking to purchase when you are learning about a model and it's entertaining too.

Me:
+1. Spot on. Wasn't sure when I posted the link to the article if members would see value in it. The give and take is not only enjoyable to read but insightful as well. It's one of the reasons I get so much out of this forum whose strength is derived from its members.

-----------------

In summary, my intent was not to inflame. Yes some members are more passionate about the decision they made when they chose their model. This vehicle brings out passion. Civility and passion can coexist in a debate.

I'm not questioning YOUR intent......but at the same time I knew that the way the article and title was written it would cause some debate. It did and I'm not surprised; no reflection on you or the many other posters who took it in the same spirit.

Dave

Old 05-24-2016, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Yes, they're all real cars. Just, some are better than others.
Absolutely; a Yaris, an AMC Pacer and a Citroen 2CV are also real cars. :-)

Cheers,
Dave

Old 05-24-2016, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 99Gsp
Civility and passion can coexist in a debate.
Yes it can and should.....but it often doesn't. That doesn't mean we shouldn't aspire to it though!

Cheers,
Dave

Old 05-24-2016, 03:27 PM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Yes it can and should.....but it often doesn't. That doesn't mean we shouldn't aspire to it though!

Cheers,
Dave
+1..all good.

The following users liked this post:
DPelletier (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

Absolutely; a Yaris, an AMC Pacer and a Citroen 2CV are also real cars. :-)

Cheers,
Dave
Hey...the 2CV is a fabulous car. I want one.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:32 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,114 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Make sure you get the original one, with 9 HP. My lawn tractor has 15.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:01 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

The F-Type is rubbish. The GT3 RS is a proper car.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:30 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The V8 isn't nearly fast enough for me. Needs about 200hp, but my last car was a 2010 moded ZR1 so it may have spoiled me.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:35 PM
Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts

It's nice when pro drivers like your car. (V8) Especially love what he says at 7:22min

Last edited by Dremorg; 05-25-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 355spider
The V8 isn't nearly fast enough for me. Needs about 200hp, but my last car was a 2010 moded ZR1 so it may have spoiled me.
Soooo...where would you drive it over 191mph? And how often?

Old 05-25-2016, 09:33 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Soooo...where would you drive it over 191mph? And how often?
Texas. Lots of places to drive over 180. I like the acceleration though.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 355spider
Texas. Lots of places to drive over 180. I like the acceleration though.
I get it!

Old 05-26-2016, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpy Finn
Speeds that our sadly debilitated roadway systems cannot accommodate
WAIT A MINUTE. Didn't we build that? Is no one building that? Who built that? Maybe we need our gov to build that? Who's going to build that?

Infrastructure crumbles while self-interested people create gridlock. I hate the BS narratives of this country, but I am jet lagged, on the east coast in DC, and without my car. Great.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

This is so great. Love this. Like I said... the debate will soon be "would you rather text or nap, or be smiling?

It's literally drivers vs people who don't want to drive, now. That's why the bolted on wing on the Festiva and the poorly welded roll bar in the Honda is just as much our kin (tho they can't afford the dream car, they are trying), vs the guy falling asleep on autopilot in his Tesla. LOL

Old 05-26-2016, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by enfield
The F-Type is rubbish. The GT3 RS is a proper car.

And here I was reminisincg about our two door Yaris being a hell of a reliable little guy. We called it Cherry. Good times. Don't miss it one bit. LOL

Old 05-26-2016, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

[re: Texas highway driving at full speed] I get it!

But *WHERE*. I know on the grapevine in CA on the 5, you can see a copy parked on the side of the road for MILES... but I am taking a 4000K road trip through CA, OR, WA, ID, MT, WY, CO, UT, AZ, UT, NV, CA.....

Is there a rule of thumb where you can get nice and speedy without worrying to much about enforcement?

Honestly, I am on the 50 in stretches, and have been using streetview to check it out. It's like the cop scene from Hunter's F&L in Las Vegas. He just wants a hug. Real lonely out there.

Quick Reply: Debate continues 6 vs 8 - Business Insider