Sponsored by:

Debate continues 6 vs 8 - Business Insider

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Debate continues 6 vs 8 - Business Insider

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
But *WHERE*. I know on the grapevine in CA on the 5, you can see a copy parked on the side of the road for MILES... but I am taking a 4000K road trip through CA, OR, WA, ID, MT, WY, CO, UT, AZ, UT, NV, CA.....

Is there a rule of thumb where you can get nice and speedy without worrying to much about enforcement?

Honestly, I am on the 50 in stretches, and have been using streetview to check it out. It's like the cop scene from Hunter's F&L in Las Vegas. He just wants a hug. Real lonely out there.
Driving fast is all about how fast for how long. If you go real fast for a short period, you'll fare better than real fast for a long time. Just statistics. And it's also the gamble/excitement if there will be the one patrol car for 100 miles that happens to be there when you have that indiscretion that makes it more fun and dangerous.

I once drove from Santa Clarita to Fresno, which is about 190 miles, in just over 1 hour and 45 minutes. There was traffic and the stress of getting caught, but I was 19, so it was fun. On a trip to Vegas I was doing about 120mph in a Maxima following a 5 series at a reasonable distance for the speed. After the 5 series passed him, a truck just changed lanes going about 60 to pass the truck in front of him. I braked so hard that the ABS was pulsing and I nearly **** my pants. I'd never do either again now that I'm 46. I realize the consequences.

I'd much rather find a deserted section of road and do 1/2, 1 or 2 mile solo drag runs than keep speed for any real period on public roads. And when I say real speed I'm talking triple digits. I'm not worried about my ability to control the car, but I don't trust others to do the right thing anymore and I can't risk going to jail because I was irresponsible. And to clarify, going fast isn't irresponsible. Doing it where I know I won't get caught is.

Last edited by 2010 Kyanite XFR; 05-26-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:00 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
The reason I asked is precisely because this ISN'T common on the other car forums I've participated on. Really, most of us are just fine with the discussion, it's the thread title and article that fans the flames; most of the members here are far more civil than that.

Dave
Z06 vs ZR1, 911 vs 911 Turbo, Viper GT vs GTS just to name a few. My experience must just vary from yours but this type of debate/discussion is far from uncommon on car forums in my opinion. I haven't seen any real punches thrown though so yes I agree that members here are more civil than most.

Last edited by Overblown; 05-27-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Overblown
Z06 vs ZR1, 911 vs 911 Turbo, Viper GT vs GTS just to name a few. My experience must just vary from yours but this is type of debate/discussion is far from common on car forums in my opinion. I haven't seen any real punches thrown though so yes I agree that members here are more civil than most.
Agreed, the Corvette Forum was bordering on violent. This place is unbelievably tame.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
This place is unbelievably tame.
I am hoping we can keep it that way. We're also far more likely to meet one another in person than most forums I've participated in. Too easy to be uncivil on an anonymous basis over the innerwebs, and one could easily be embarrassed meeting some of these really nice people in person.

The following users liked this post:
mikelanzetta (05-28-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Agreed; I've been on forums that were far more hostile and a few that were just as friendly...a couple even more so. Hoping this one stays civil 'cause if not, I'd simply stop participating; I don't have time for drama....too old or too cranky; take your pick!

There is a reason I use my real name and I never say anything on a forum I wouldn't say to someone in person. I've met many forum people in real life and some I'd consider friends. In fact, I'm going to call a guy that I've met on one of my motorcycle forums right now; he needs a hand figuring out a bearing issue.

Cheers,
Dave

Unhingd (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 08:51 PM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I think when you look at things like the lobster run Jay organized or the impromptu meet up in Lancaster a bunch of us did in the Fall, you get the impression that the members are a friendly bunch. I had never met any of the members until Lancaster and that was a lot of fun. Jay went out if his way last year with suggestions and hospitality when I vacationed in Maine and we had never met before.

I've been a member for over a year and I've yet to read any really nasty posts even though there were differences of opinion being expressed. Bottom line..it's a good group on this forum.

The following 3 users liked this post by 99Gsp:
Foosh (05-26-2016), Mbourne (05-26-2016), Unhingd (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enfield
This thing about "putting the power down" is getting annoying.

I can put the "power down" in the V8 quite well. One needs to use the accelerator properly. The accelerator is not an "on" "off" switch. I can out accelerate a V6 F-Type at will even though my V8 is rated below 500 hp. I can also beat a V6 on a track all day long.

The only place the V6 is better is at fuel consumption.

That being said - we are all justifying our choices & that includes me. I have a mid range F-Type with the weakest V8 & RWD. Do I go around saying that the R, the project 7, & SVR are not as good as mine because I wanted a RWD convertible? No I don't. I accept the fact that the R, Project 7, & SVR are superior to my car. I still love my car - but I do not put the others down.

Cannot compare apples & oranges.
This could not have been said any better. Well done.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
I've met many forum people in real life and some I'd consider friends.
I actually have 3 friends from this forum now that I keep in touch with regularly and meet up with from time to time. Really is a good group of people that are willing to go the direction less traveled and buy a Jag.

Although I've had a few disagreements with people who have chimed in without thinking and a small issue where people from New Jersey thought I was calling all of them idiots (which I was not, but no matter how hard I tried to explain that, I still kept getting complaints of persecution).

But as you can see from the number of posts I've made, I really enjoy it here. And since the XF section is less active, you'll see me here more.

jaguny (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 03:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
I actually have 3 friends from this forum now that I keep in touch with regularly and meet up with from time to time. Really is a good group of people that are willing to go the direction less traveled and buy a Jag.

Although I've had a few disagreements with people who have chimed in without thinking and a small issue where people from New Jersey thought I was calling all of them idiots (which I was not, but no matter how hard I tried to explain that, I still kept getting complaints of persecution).

But as you can see from the number of posts I've made, I really enjoy it here. And since the XF section is less active, you'll see me here more.
I for one, welcome your increased participation here. Your participation and contributions on the XF forum enhanced group discussion there. Plus you have a great looking car!

Old 05-27-2016, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

There are times whereby I say to myself...."why joe do you engage", or I read responses to others who engage, and have to admit....I scratch my head in disgust on how come people talk with others.

Social media has no, I mean zero personality. Words have meaning and sometimes they are rough, biting, and immature. Most times however, the experience is excellent.

If ever there was a forum like the so-called Vette forum, where it got borderline violent, or even nasty, I would just move on. I wasn't brought up this way, am not trained for 39 years as an executive leader to behave this way, and besides if it doesn't pass the test, then it isn't worth it. The test is "would one talk with their mother, daughter or son that way"" Or better yet how would I feel if someone talked to my own that way???

We are basically decent people with a common cause.....our cars. let's stick to the subjects that come to mind and are at hand, no subject being too stupid or too smart. If it is on our minds, we should be totally comfortable putting it out there. Can't turn people off or de-motivating, and I for one when posting want a basic social interaction 101, i.e. my thoughts without hesitation to be widely shared and deeply felt through responses of constructive inputs and feedback. Anything less, see ya and screw the forum...., it isn't worth it.

Let's keep it real folks, and make sure if ever we see each other in person, it is a great experience without red faced having to hide behind the words that were caustic, or irritating.

Great forum, very informatve and let's continue to keep it friendly.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by slojotaa
There are times whereby I say to myself...."why joe do you engage", or I read responses to others who engage, and have to admit....I scratch my head in disgust on how come people talk with others.

Social media has no, I mean zero personality. Words have meaning and sometimes they are rough, biting, and immature. Most times however, the experience is excellent.

If ever there was a forum like the so-called Vette forum, where it got borderline violent, or even nasty, I would just move on. I wasn't brought up this way, am not trained for 39 years as an executive leader to behave this way, and besides if it doesn't pass the test, then it isn't worth it. The test is "would one talk with their mother, daughter or son that way"" Or better yet how would I feel if someone talked to my own that way???

We are basically decent people with a common cause.....our cars. let's stick to the subjects that come to mind and are at hand, no subject being too stupid or too smart. If it is on our minds, we should be totally comfortable putting it out there. Can't turn people off or de-motivating, and I for one when posting want a basic social interaction 101, i.e. my thoughts without hesitation to be widely shared and deeply felt through responses of constructive inputs and feedback. Anything less, see ya and screw the forum...., it isn't worth it.

Let's keep it real folks, and make sure if ever we see each other in person, it is a great experience without red faced having to hide behind the words that were caustic, or irritating.

WOW! Why so arrogant Joe??!!!

Worth watching the whole thing, but the real "pay-off" comes at 1:43 or so...

Keep smiling buddy! (I consider you - and Jon Stewart who does something unprecedented during the Oscars - a class act!)

Last edited by RickyJay52; 05-27-2016 at 08:48 AM.
slojotaa (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
I for one, welcome your increased participation here. Your participation and contributions on the XF forum enhanced group discussion there. Plus you have a great looking car!
Thanks Jaguny!

Old 05-27-2016, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Thanks Jaguny!
Your most welcome!

Old 05-27-2016, 10:52 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by slojotaa

Well said Joe and I would have to agree that the reason why many of us are active on the forums is because of the lack of drama. We all have a passion "Our cars" and we can talk to each other about issues, opinions, deals etc. with one another. I've only been a member for a little over 2 months and I enjoy coming home and checking the forums to see what's going on just like checking my e-mails. I also agree that because for the most part we are relatively close and will run in to each other through meets, runs, shows etc. In fact in sounds like we will be about 8 to 10 deep for Super Cars on State Street so we will have a great time. Each day I learn something new about cars, this car from each and everyone of you and I really appreciate your assistance in answering my noob questions. I know I haven't met any of you, but in a way I do consider you my friends. Let's continue to have a great group and keep the forums what they were meant to be.. Fun! Entertaining! Informative!

The following 2 users liked this post by Smoke Em:
99Gsp (05-28-2016), slojotaa (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member

Ok, enough with the Kumbaya. Now, let's get back to the mud-slinging.

My car is better than your car.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:00 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,114 Likes on 1,411 Posts

When the clutch works.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
When the clutch works.
cough, cough.

Dave, you could proudly proclaim:" My car is red hot. Your car is diddly squat!

Old 05-28-2016, 08:09 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,114 Likes on 1,411 Posts

My car is covered with pollen, so it's salsa with lime.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:10 AM
Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by enfield
This thing about "putting the power down" is getting annoying.

I can put the "power down" in the V8 quite well. One needs to use the accelerator properly. The accelerator is not an "on" "off" switch. I can out accelerate a V6 F-Type at will even though my V8 is rated below 500 hp. I can also beat a V6 on a track all day long.

The only place the V6 is better is at fuel consumption.

That being said - we are all justifying our choices & that includes me. I have a mid range F-Type with the weakest V8 & RWD. Do I go around saying that the R, the project 7, & SVR are not as good as mine because I wanted a RWD convertible? No I don't. I accept the fact that the R, Project 7, & SVR are superior to my car. I still love my car - but I do not put the others down.

Cannot compare apples & oranges.
Doubt us V8 guys will hear anymore talk about "useless power" or not being able to "put the power down". At will.

Last edited by Dremorg; 05-29-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:02 AM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Dremorg
Doubt us V8 guys will hear anymore talk about "useless power" or not being able to "put the power down". At will.

Jaguar F-TYPE S V6 vs F-TYPE V8 vs Audi R8 vs E63 AMG - YouTube
I find that people justify their purchases. I remember similar talk when I owned an E92 M3 from the 335i crowd.

Last edited by enfield; 05-29-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Debate continues 6 vs 8 - Business Insider