Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debate continues 6 vs 8 - Business Insider

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Dremorg
Doubt us V8 guys will hear anymore talk about "useless power" or not being able to "put the power down". At will.
This is becoming one of those silly urban myths on this forum. I don't recall hearing a single V6 owner saying the V8's power is "useless."

Every comment I read was essentially conveying the view that "the V8's power was not usable very often on the street." Or, I don't really have the opportunity to use that kind of power on the street much at all, that is assuming one is a sane and responsible driver.

Of course, it would be ridiculous to say that kind of power is not usable on a drag strip or road course. No one has said that. There is absolutely no doubt, and I think every V6 owner clearly understands, that a V8 F-Type will leave a V6 F-Type far behind on a track, time after time, assuming the V8 driver is halfway competent.

But you're right, you probably will hear it less because people do get tired of folks not actually reading what they have to say, having their remarks taken completely out of context, and subjected to ridicule.

I've owned more than a half dozen cars within the last 10 years making 450-500HP. I tracked some of them, had a blast, and used that kind of power with ease. But, I decided to buy the V6 exclusively as a fun, daily cruiser, because I knew full well from considerable experience, that I really couldn't really exercise the potential of my previous high performance cars very often

It was priceless when someone here actually told me I needed to "learn how to modulate the throttle" . . . LMAO.

The following users liked this post:
Smoke Em (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
When the clutch works.
This was perfect. Lol

It made me sad that my family and friends got to rib me about "nicest car in mechanic's parking lot"

Ugh

Old 06-03-2016, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 993 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
This was perfect. Lol

It made me sad that my family and friends got to rib me about "nicest car in mechanic's parking lot"

Ugh
Mine is in the body shop that is its temporary home. They've done the revised estimate, so it's apart enough to see the extent of the damage. Maybe I'll see if it's the nicest there when I go do my own inspection. Whether it is or not, it is mine, and the one I want to be driving now.

I've set up camp in 4 cylinders now, in a clean, 25 year old Miata. Neither fast nor quick, but not without entertainment value. The motorcycle has more power though. Way more power.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (06-06-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dremorg
+1
Another thing I don't like about the V6 are the two large center exhaust pipes. They remind me of the older model Jeep Cherokee SRT8. IMO the quad exhausts on the V8 are more athletically pleasing...plus they make the car look more balanced & proportioned. The quad exhaust makes the car look it means business! (And it does)
This is an old post, but I was going through some old posts, and voila. Here we are.

Isn't the base model exhaust a nod to the E-Type exhaust?

I mean.... here's a shot from last week's cars and coffee, where I have my F-Type in the background. Both the exhaust, and the rear lights, are very similar. I know people aftermarket added awesome quad exhaust, etc.... but I sort of feel the dual exhaust in the center is most appropriate for the legacy of the brand? Just my two cents...

Old 10-05-2016, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Only reason this got bumped was I was looking for it for a guy in a reddit thread.

I ended up compiling all the outlets that said the 6 is more than enough.... I figure a copy paste wouldn't hurt as long as this is already bumped. Then we can enjoy it sliding down into oblivion, once again.

Note.... go over to reddit to give him some "R" love. I am obviously enjoying my 6cyl, but I don't want to make it seem I am judgy judgy or give a damn about 6cyl vs 8cyl. I give a damn that whatever we are driving, it is making us incredibly happy. That's all.

*BUT*.... really, REALLY surprising how many news and auto rags actually think the 6S is enough...

The below is from this reddit thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Jaguar/comm...qv&sh=4506e64a

----------------------------:

I love this car, and I love the wildly diverse and interesting club that it comes with. As I recently got schooled, there is no "type" of F-Type owner, and with so many variations of the same car, base manual all the way through the Project 7.... it's for all types. But since I love this car, I don't mind chatting about it. I might post this in the forum so people hop on over and give you less confirmation bias about the 6. =)

So I figured I would dig, for my own edification, and it is surprising how many people say "The S is enough"

Jalopnik: S so good it almost makes V8 pointless:
https://jalopnik.com/the-jaguar-f-ty...the-1632020362

Road and Track: S is pretty sure you don't need a V8
The F-Type S Coupe is pretty sure you don't need a V8

Automobile Mag: Who needs a V8?
2015 Jaguar F-Type S Coupe - Who Needs a V-8?

BizInsider: R is too much of a departure of what a Jag should be.
Jaguar F-Type V6 first drive - Business Insider

Bloomberg: F-Type S Coupe is the best car Jag makes for the money
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-for-the-money

Nice little 6 v 8 exhaust test:
V6 vs. V8 Rev Battle Will Leave You Wanting a White Jaguar F-Type Coupe - autoevolution

Motortrend: R can't put the power down *on the stock P-Zeros*. That's even my experience w/ the 6cyl, and the Pilot Super Sport are REALLY important in the end. But it talks about people's issues with the slip/slide handling of the R. But two things here: just don't press the accelerator down that much. And b... the Pirellis are like sliding off a cliff, especially in water. But if you have a hard time keeping your foot off the pedal, it's a good fact to know. What's more, that power won't get accessed unless you are going in that straight line...
Jaguar F-Type Review - Long-Term Verdict - Motor Trend

A thing to note.... there may be a 4cyl coming out, which is neither here nor there for you, but the supercharged 6 is going away as Jag is bringing back an inline 6, which should be super duper cool.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Only reason this got bumped was I was looking for it for a guy in a reddit thread.

I ended up compiling all the outlets that said the 6 is more than enough.... I figure a copy paste wouldn't hurt as long as this is already bumped. Then we can enjoy it sliding down into oblivion, once again.

Note.... go over to reddit to give him some "R" love. I am obviously enjoying my 6cyl, but I don't want to make it seem I am judgy judgy or give a damn about 6cyl vs 8cyl. I give a damn that whatever we are driving, it is making us incredibly happy. That's all.

*BUT*.... really, REALLY surprising how many news and auto rags actually think the 6S is enough...

NB: Since the post, someone reminded me the RWD is out of the US market, and it is all AWD, which resolves some of the below articles assumptions. But is it true that it is still sold elsewhere as a RWD, and does the R become totally viable in this sense, now that AWD is in effect? I would love to know your thoughts!! =)

The below is from this reddit thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Jaguar/comm...qv&sh=4506e64a

----------------------------

I love this car, and I love the wildly diverse and interesting club that it comes with. As I recently got schooled, there is no "type" of F-Type owner, and with so many variations of the same car, base manual all the way through the Project 7.... it's for all types. But since I love this car, I don't mind chatting about it. I might post this in the forum so people hop on over and give you less confirmation bias about the 6. =)

So I figured I would dig, for my own edification, and it is surprising how many people say "The S is enough"

Jalopnik: S so good it almost makes V8 pointless:
https://jalopnik.com/the-jaguar-f-ty...the-1632020362

Road and Track: S is pretty sure you don't need a V8
The F-Type S Coupe is pretty sure you don't need a V8

Automobile Mag: Who needs a V8?
2015 Jaguar F-Type S Coupe - Who Needs a V-8?

BizInsider: R is too much of a departure of what a Jag should be.
Jaguar F-Type V6 first drive - Business Insider

Bloomberg: F-Type S Coupe is the best car Jag makes for the money
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-for-the-money

Motortrend: R can't put the power down *on the stock P-Zeros*. That's even my experience w/ the 6cyl, and the Pilot Super Sport are REALLY important in the end. But it talks about people's issues with the slip/slide handling of the R. But two things here: just don't press the accelerator down that much. And b... the Pirellis are like sliding off a cliff, especially in water. But if you have a hard time keeping your foot off the pedal, it's a good fact to know. What's more, that power won't get accessed unless you are going in that straight line...
Jaguar F-Type Review - Long-Term Verdict - Motor Trend

Nice little 6 v 8 exhaust test:
V6 vs. V8 Rev Battle Will Leave You Wanting a White Jaguar F-Type Coupe - autoevolution

A thing to note.... there may be a 4cyl coming out, which is neither here nor there for you, but the supercharged 6 is going away as Jag is bringing back an inline 6, which should be super duper cool.