F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deciding between VAP and H&R lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 04:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deciding between VAP and H&R lowering springs

I have a 2016 F Type R and am trying to decide between VAP or H&R lowering springs. I like the look of the H&R springs better but am worried about scraping on the many speed humps in my neighborhood. Also would like to know if there are any handling or ride quality differences between the two sets. I also plan on adding 15mm wheel spacers

Old 11-08-2022, 08:20 PM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Legend has it the suspensions should be tuned if you go with HR springs because of the amount it lowers the car.

Personally I would go with VAP if I went with 15mm spacers. Not to mention their Black Friday sale is coming up

Old 11-09-2022, 07:03 AM
Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

If you are interested I have brand new set of VAP springs (AWD) for sale. Price will be definitely better even comparing to their black Friday sales.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Guardian
If you are interested I have brand new set of VAP springs (AWD) for sale. Price will be definitely better even comparing to their black Friday sales.
send me a message

Last edited by rlevine18; 11-10-2022 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-10-2022, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by rlevine18
send me a text 703-628-1043. I am new to the forum so i am not able to direct message yet
pls write an email to: guardiandesigns.studio (at) gmail.com

Old 11-10-2022, 05:06 PM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi
Legend has it the suspensions should be tuned if you go with HR springs because of the amount it lowers the car.

Personally I would go with VAP if I went with 15mm spacers. Not to mention their Black Friday sale is coming up
Not sure where you heard that from but what a load of rubbish, i've had h&r springs on my car for over 5 years and apart from getting the tracking checked
i didnt need to get my suspension "tuned", what ever that means.

The following users liked this post:
skizot (11-15-2022)
Old 11-10-2022, 07:30 PM
Obi
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Timbo
Not sure where you heard that from but what a load of rubbish, i've had h&r springs on my car for over 5 years and apart from getting the tracking checked
i didnt need to get my suspension "tuned", what ever that means.
Simple analogy: After changing the supercharger pulley you should get an ECU tune. However, you don’t need it.

Sidebar: Google works wonders for learning new things, if one cares for it lol

Old 11-10-2022, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Obi
Simple analogy: After changing the supercharger pulley you should get an ECU tune. However, you don’t need it.

What do you mean by getting the suspension tuned? I didn’t know you could tune a suspension without having coil overs. Did you mean getting an alignment done? I plan on getting an alignment regardless of what lowering springs I end up with.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:25 PM

Is there a noticeable difference in handling between the two sets? I drive the car pretty hard and don’t want to sacrifice any handling when i lower it.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Originally Posted by rlevine18
Is there a noticeable difference in handling between the two sets? I drive the car pretty hard and don’t want to sacrifice any handling when i lower it.
I suspect there is.
I and many others have reported "pogoing" with the VAP springs which apparently doesn't happen with the H&R springs.
By "pogoing" I mean bouncing up and down a bit when hitting a dip in the road at speed, the car seems to literally bounce up and down before settling. There is one stretch of road I used to go over regularly with three or four dips followed by rises where it was very noticeable at only 60 mph or so.
This has been explained as due to the rebound rate of the shocks/dampers now being out of whack with the springs.
Also with the car being a little lower on the H&R springs the centre of gravity should be lower and therefore the handling at 10 10ths should be fractionally better, but that is just supposition on my part.

The following 3 users liked this post by OzXFR:
J444G (11-11-2022), Supersprint Sport Exhausts (11-11-2022), Turko (11-11-2022)
Old 11-11-2022, 07:41 PM
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi

Nope. First, terrible analogy, and you should NOT run any pulley upgrade without a tune. But I digress. How exactly do you plan to fine tune compression/rebound rates on the stock dampers? They have two modes from the factory.

For the rest, I have H&R springs and they work great with the stock damping, no oscillation, good body control, inproved feedback through the chassis and steering. Oh and they look great. Scraping - not terrible, you have to be careful with sudden grade increases like a steep driveway or some intersections but not that big of a deal.

Old 11-11-2022, 08:04 PM
Received 202 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bfrank1972
Nope. First, terrible analogy, and you should NOT run any pulley upgrade without a tune. But I digress. How exactly do you plan to fine tune compression/rebound rates on the stock dampers? They have two modes from the factory.

For the rest, I have H&R springs and they work great with the stock damping, no oscillation, good body control, inproved feedback through the chassis and steering. Oh and they look great. Scraping - not terrible, you have to be careful with sudden grade increases like a steep driveway or some intersections but not that big of a deal.
I am also interested in lowering springs and have been considering VAP but the H&R's sound interesting, as well. Which series did you get [how much did they lower?] and how much did they cost?

Old 11-12-2022, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by synthesis
I am also interested in lowering springs and have been considering VAP but the H&R's sound interesting, as well. Which series did you get [how much did they lower?] and how much did they cost?
I'm not aware of multiple series made for the F-Type, but maybe I just haven't seen them. The H&Rs on my car dropped it a bit over an inch. Also have 15mm spacers (depending on rims you may have to trim your studs for those) and clearance with the fender lip is fine. I believe I got them on sale for mid $300's. Keep in mind, there may be different part numbers for AWD vs. RWD, and definitely different depending on whether you have a V6 or V8. Mine is a V8R RWD - just make sure you get the right set of springs. Also you will want to get an alignment done after installation - mine wasn't too far off after lowering, but it's also an opportunity to tweak your camber and toe to your desired specs (if you want). I went with more negative camber and very slight toe out to improve response at the front end (caveat if you do a lot of highway driving with rusty roads the nose may be more slightly inclined to tram, minor tradeoffs, nothing major). Ymmv.

Old 11-13-2022, 12:26 PM

I'm not aware of multiple series made for the F-Type, but maybe I just haven't seen them. The H&Rs on my car dropped it a bit over an inch. Also have 15mm spacers (depending on rims you may have to trim your studs for those) and clearance with the fender lip is fine. I believe I got them on sale for mid $300's. Keep in mind, there may be different part numbers for AWD vs. RWD, and definitely different depending on whether you have a V6 or V8. Mine is a V8R RWD - just make sure you get the right set of springs. Also you will want to get an alignment done after installation - mine wasn't too far off after lowering, but it's also an opportunity to tweak your camber and toe to your desired specs (if you want). I went with more negative camber and very slight toe out to improve response at the front end (caveat if you do a lot of highway driving with rusty roads the nose may be more slightly inclined to tram, minor tradeoffs, nothing major). Ymmv.
You are correct, only the "Sport" springs are available for the F type. Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is the purpose of the 15mm spacers?

Old 11-13-2022, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by synthesis
You are correct, only the "Sport" springs are available for the F type. Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is the purpose of the 15mm spacers?
Looks only. When you lower the car it amplifies the "tucked" look of the stock rims/offsets. Those spacers bring them to flush with the fenders.

Old 11-13-2022, 01:25 PM

Looks only. When you lower the car it amplifies the "tucked" look of the stock rims/offsets. Those spacers bring them to flush with the fenders.
Thanks for the explanation. Do you happen to have a pic of your car you could post? Before and after would be perfect!

Old 11-13-2022, 05:00 PM

My set of VAP springs for AWD is still for sale. 550USD including shipping.

Old 11-13-2022, 05:39 PM
Received 141 Likes on 94 Posts

Handling with the VAP springs is good. Have only bottomed out once during spirited driving at the Tail of the Dragon at one specific location. Can’t compare handling against H&Rs but I do prefer the looks of the H&Rs better as it sits slightly lower.

Old 11-15-2022, 09:12 AM
Received 397 Likes on 178 Posts

I think it comes down to what do you want from your car. VAP are great springs, however they give a more raked look (back sit's higher then front), which many who have VAP do not like. H&R (which I have) makes the car more balanced and while lower than other springs for this platform, for me, sits and drives just right. I also have always lowered every car I have ever owned, so I am used a more sporty ride and lower stance. Ultimate adjustability would be to go with a set of KW coilovers, however you were asking about springs. I have been riding on them since 2019, love them. It is phenomenal. Better corner handling, better 1/4 mile traction as less suspension travel from a dig, better looks and while definitely need to adjust driving style over bump/inclines/etc that is a small price to pay. As for any after installation "tuning" that is all bullshit. No such thing. Car already has ability to adjust dampening based on mode (sport vs. normal) and you can turn this off if you desire inside the settings if you prefer normal mode, even when in sport. For me, I prefer full sport mode (including suspenion) when I turn it on, but also on occasion could tweak for the right situation to turn on suspension sport mode with all other sport modes turned off, but not sure why you would want that? Nevertheless, H&R to me, is the best balance of ride, looks and performance of all the options currently available.

Old 11-15-2022, 09:41 AM
Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by skizot
Ultimate adjustability would be to go with a set of KW coilovers, however you were asking about springs
Not so. KW was adjustable springs, the OEM shocks remain in use. A normal coilover is a combined spring and shock system. The KW H.A.S (Height Adjustable Springs) allow you to dial in exactly the drop you want for each corner.

https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/s...ble-qq6-16-20/

Quick Reply: Deciding between VAP and H&R lowering springs