F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deep Clunk After Differential Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 03:59 AM
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts

As the clunk is predictable, I'm wondering what happens at 7-10 mph in the diff? Locks/unlocks? Is there a module that activates the diff that might be acting up? Something happening in the tranny like a hard 1st to 2nd shift?
I have had the dealerships (we have a new dealership in STL, Imperial just opened in the valley) do all the work so it is documented. Soon as I'm out of warranty I'll have my independent take care of it.
Transfer case fluid change is a scheduled item, did you get that done?
I had my diff fluid changed at 50k, not a scheduled item but I wanted them to document it's condition. They discovered a leaking pinion seal so I got new fluid for free.

Old 11-18-2021, 09:05 AM
Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Just a thought on the low speed start up clunk, check your wheels to make sure they’re torqued to 92 lbs. simple easy to do and check off another box for noise. I agree since you brought to JLR attention the problem under warranty, that should work. Before my basic warranty ended, I brought my car in for any issues that I felt required attention to document the issue before warranty ended. I have a CPO with extended warranty ending in January 23 and I will continue to bring to JLR any issues that I have and hopefully I will not need too. I had the differential replaced this past July and in October they replaced a leaking filler plug, fixed the leak. Good luck with your issues, if’s it a Jaguar dealer problem start a claim with JLR corporate.
Frank my16 s with 44k mikes

Old 03-15-2023, 10:45 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this is an old forum, but I thought I'd add my experience in case it helps anyone. I have a 2015 R (RWD) and have what I believe is the same thump. I had the Differential replaced about 2 months ago with a used diff from a 2017 SVR after the pinion seal failed and gear whine increased (Shop initially tried just replacing pinion seal, but apparently there had been enough lashing that the damage had been done.) With the replacement diff installed and fresh fluid put in, the car seemed to be fine. A few weeks later, this thump started, as described, typically right on throttle or as soon as letting off throttle, typically at low speeds around 10MPH.

The mechanic said that it is the differential bushings that need to be replaced. The diff out of the 2017 only had about 30k miles on it, and the car itself has 48k. Pretty crazy to think the diff bushings would have failed already, but I think I saw at least one other thread on this site that suggested their bushings had gone bad around 20k.

So, its possible that the diff bushings are what's causing it, and that would make sense to me. The shop confirmed its the diff by putting the car on the lift and watching the diff flex far more than it should. @Therock88 you're the resident expert , any insight? Do you think its at all possible that the heat generated by these diffs could expedite bushing failures? I've seen members on some other threads discuss diff coolers (especially if you track them at all, which I do), and I wonder if being in an SVR increased the likelihood that it saw more strenuous (track/"severe") conditions. I'm going to go ahead and have the shop order the bushings and replace them - hopefully that ends the issue for me.

The following 2 users liked this post by MX-Moose:
DanL (03-15-2023), Kens (03-16-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 11:15 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

And here’s another possible ‘clunk’, from backlash in the drivetrain. Also doesn’t sound like OP’s issue.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lec9xkk5vo...402V3.pdf?dl=0

The following users liked this post:
DanL (03-15-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 11:22 AM
Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MX-Moose
I know this is an old forum, but I thought I'd add my experience in case it helps anyone. I have a 2015 R (RWD) and have what I believe is the same thump. I had the Differential replaced about 2 months ago with a used diff from a 2017 SVR after the pinion seal failed and gear whine increased (Shop initially tried just replacing pinion seal, but apparently there had been enough lashing that the damage had been done.) With the replacement diff installed and fresh fluid put in, the car seemed to be fine. A few weeks later, this thump started, as described, typically right on throttle or as soon as letting off throttle, typically at low speeds around 10MPH.

The mechanic said that it is the differential bushings that need to be replaced. The diff out of the 2017 only had about 30k miles on it, and the car itself has 48k. Pretty crazy to think the diff bushings would have failed already, but I think I saw at least one other thread on this site that suggested their bushings had gone bad around 20k.
Interesting. I have that exact same issue. I'm planning on changing the transmission fluid, front and rear diff fluids, and transaxle fluid next week and will definitely check out the rear diff bushings on my car. If that's the source of the drivetrain "clunk" I'll be extremely happy since it looks like a cheap and easy fix.

Old 03-16-2023, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,931 Posts

I use Redline 75W90 #57904. Not hard to find in the US and I have been a Redline fan for many years.
Here is my E-Diff fluid change thread on my XJR. Not an F-Type but no I did not have to remove anything but the drain and fill plugs. A lift is a great asset for doing this too.

Note there is some valuable info in that thread! Both plugs for some reason have different heads? Next the fluid level is set by volume and NOT until the fluid runs out of the fill plug like just about every other rear diff!
XJR Rear E-Diff Fluid Change

I have driven the car in excess of 180mph and now over 13K miles with zero issues. In fact I need to change it again!

Old 03-16-2023, 03:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DanL
Interesting. I have that exact same issue. I'm planning on changing the transmission fluid, front and rear diff fluids, and transaxle fluid next week and will definitely check out the rear diff bushings on my car. If that's the source of the drivetrain "clunk" I'll be extremely happy since it looks like a cheap and easy fix.
So my experience is that this isn't a cheap or easy fix, lol. Well, I suppose if you're doing all the labor yourself, it might be cheap. The shop that looked at my FTR said that its near impossible to see much of the bushing themselves. They really confirmed it by watching the way the diff could flex while under load, beyond what it should. They had someone in the car on lift put it in and out of gear while someone was inspecting from below. Labor to get the diff out is expensive/time consuming as I believe the rear subframe and some of the exhaust has to come off. I was quoted about $800 assuming all of that has to happen. They are going to try to see if they can lower the diff without having to remove everything, but the diff bolts in from the top, not from the bottom, which seems like a really dumb design

Old 03-16-2023, 04:36 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

I also recall a discussion of a need for shimming the driveshaft, though when that needed to be done, and what the symptom was that necessitated it, I couldn't say. But related to the differential.

Old 03-18-2023, 05:39 PM
Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MX-Moose
So my experience is that this isn't a cheap or easy fix, lol. Well, I suppose if you're doing all the labor yourself, it might be cheap. The shop that looked at my FTR said that its near impossible to see much of the bushing themselves. They really confirmed it by watching the way the diff could flex while under load, beyond what it should. They had someone in the car on lift put it in and out of gear while someone was inspecting from below. Labor to get the diff out is expensive/time consuming as I believe the rear subframe and some of the exhaust has to come off. I was quoted about $800 assuming all of that has to happen. They are going to try to see if they can lower the diff without having to remove everything, but the diff bolts in from the top, not from the bottom, which seems like a really dumb design
Well, that's disappointing. I assumed it was an easy job after looking at the parts diagram for the rear diff. Please let me know what you find out.

Old 04-03-2023, 05:52 AM
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a similar issue with my rear making a clunk at low speeds, and it was just replaced with a new one something like 10k miles ago. I don't think its the bearings in that case.

Old 07-24-2023, 10:11 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Possible worn transmission mounts?

Old 07-26-2023, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 424 Posts

Or motor mounts. We have had some reported incidents.

Old 01-03-2024, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming to this subject a little late, but I'm scheduled to have the differential oil changed next week by a reputable independent Jaguar service place, as preventative maintenance on my recently purchased 2016 Base F-Type 56k miles (no LSD). Is there a different differential oil spec between the LSD and non-LSD diffs? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-03-2024, 04:31 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,140 Posts

You need BOT-720 for the LSD and E-Diff, but BOT-750B in the standard diff.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (01-05-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 05:07 PM

Many thanks scm!

Old 01-14-2024, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by scm
You need BOT-720 for the LSD and E-Diff, but BOT-750B in the standard diff.
As a follow-up, I had both the automatic transmission fluid and differential oil changed last week (2016 w/ 56k miles) by an independent Jaguar service place. Total cost was $950. For my Base model (open diff) they used LiquiMoly 75W-90 GL-5. For the transmission, they used LiquiMoly 1800 Automatic Transmission Fluid. This was preventative maintenance, but noticed the drivetrain seemed a little bit smoother afterwards.