F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Definitive Android 10.25” Retrofit Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

I put a similar "Pumpkin" android deck into a Chevy HHR and it has everything. Kind of funny because the HHR is a rolling POS maybe worth $3k, but the stereo in it makes my 2015R look stone age.

Have adapted to doing just about everything through my S8+ mobile.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:29 AM
Received 149 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by usgpru27
If it works as described I will definatly buy it with clear instructions. I would me interested in knowing if its reversable should something go wrong with it down the road.
In the one install video that we have seen, the system is plug in. No cutting or splicing involved. So that would make it completely reversible.

The following users liked this post:
usgpru27 (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Sorry, no feedback for you on that except the one I did was a standard double-din. Reversing my install would be simple as there was even a plug-to-plug Chevy wiring harness all good to go.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:45 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Fantastic... Count me in...I hate the standard unit.... Will monitor as required.... ! Thanks everyone.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:59 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

this is great news

kudos to the guys who are willing to give this a go first

@Jenny are there 2 versions, for left and right hand drive cars?

Old 11-14-2018, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by domino_z
this is great news

kudos to the guys who are willing to give this a go first

@Jenny are there 2 versions, for left and right hand drive cars?
Yep, I'm interested in a RHD version too.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

This is amazing! I just got an F Type R Coupe and this is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm in for one in a group buy once the testers have verified this works!

Old 11-14-2018, 07:59 AM
Received 119 Likes on 29 Posts

Been talking with Jenny, should have that order nailed down today and expedite the shipping for it.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:27 AM
Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

im in on this also...pending the review. i have these in all my other vehicles and although not perfect are wonderful with the app possibilities, and at the end of the day the OEM jag setup is truly lacking.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:46 AM

Hey guys,

Just got my purchase through with Jenny. Looking forward to doing the review

Will post it via my companies YouTube channel and provide a blog review and an install write-up

The following 4 users liked this post by frostysauce:
billqs (04-24-2019), Carbuff2 (11-14-2018), domino_z (11-14-2018), Siobhan Ellis (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 11:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frostysauce
Hey guys,

Just got my purchase through with Jenny. Looking forward to doing the review

Will post it via my companies YouTube channel and provide a blog review and an install write-up
I'm also in for a group buy.

It would be nice if we can easily tell which screen we have without a dismantle. A bit of a check list which spits out an answer.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
Apparently, Paul, we were both sending them emails and they were mixed up a bit

I was waiting on a quote from Jenny or Robin, but I will gladly join the group buy if it comes close to the $800 mark.

So, to clarify once again: there are only 2 versions possible? Bosch or Harman. Is there a sure way to know which one you have, other than taking it apart?
I was talking to Robin, and I was quoted $1200. I spotted the previously mentioned $880 one on aliexpress, it's not for f-type.

I'll drop my seperate conversation and go with a group buy.

I don't like the dongle that you have to plug into for CarPlay, but there are WiFi CarPlay plugins out there.

What version of Android is it really? Seen so many different versions quoted. Merryway web site says 4.x, I've seen 6.x and 7.x. 4.x is pretty old, being ended in 2010.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Siobhan Ellis
I was talking to Robin, and I was quoted $1200. I spotted the previously mentioned $880 one on aliexpress, it's not for f-type.

I'll drop my seperate conversation and go with a group buy.

I don't like the dongle that you have to plug into for CarPlay, but there are WiFi CarPlay plugins out there.

What version of Android is it really? Seen so many different versions quoted. Merryway web site says 4.x, I've seen 6.x and 7.x. 4.x is pretty old, being ended in 2010.
For what it's worth the PO I received says 6.x on it, might be possible to update it, but I will wait and see what it actually ships with.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely interested in it here too, for both my 2015 f-type and xj-r. Both LHD. Count me in, I'll keep watching the thread.
Also, first post on the forum. New member. I'm in Dallas, TX and own a f-type convertible V8 s and a XJ-R. Both 2015. Hi everyone!

Old 11-14-2018, 12:56 PM

For what it's worth the PO I received says 6.x on it, might be possible to update it, but I will wait and see what it actually ships with.
Looking forward to your updates.
How fast is it coming to you?

Old 11-14-2018, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Paul champagne
Looking forward to your updates.
How fast is it coming to you?
This is where things get interesting...

I did pose this question, and it sounds like these units aren't even available for the F-Type, they just list them as a product. They are very similar to other retrofits from Merryway, for the XF for example, but from what I read between the lines is that they haven't even officially made this yet, because no one has ordered one. Jenny said now that I have placed the order, they will go ahead with making one. This came as a bit of a surprise for me, as I thought these were on-the-shelf units, but that doesn't sound to be the case.

To be honest though, I'm not really surprised. I've worked with manufacturers in China directly before and it's very smoke and mirrors what is real and what is not. I do believe that they have done this for an F-Type before - it's possible they just haven't sold any yet, or they've retrofitted a model which is identical, just not on the F-Type directly. I'm really not 100% crystal clear, but the money is gone and the PO is cut and it sounds like Merryway is very interested in making this group buy possible around our price point. Oftentimes there is a single manufacturer, and a ton of resellers and re-branding going on - so i'm attempting to get a bit closer to the source here and it sounds like Merryway is it, or at least works directly with whoever is producing these.

Time will reveal all secrets

Old 11-14-2018, 01:32 PM

This is where things get interesting...

I did pose this question, and it sounds like these units aren't even available for the F-Type, they just list them as a product. They are very similar to other retrofits from Merryway, for the XF for example, but from what I read between the lines is that they haven't even officially made this yet, because no one has ordered one. Jenny said now that I have placed the order, they will go ahead with making one. This came as a bit of a surprise for me, as I thought these were on-the-shelf units, but that doesn't sound to be the case.

To be honest though, I'm not really surprised. I've worked with manufacturers in China directly before and it's very smoke and mirrors what is real and what is not. I do believe that they have done this for an F-Type before - it's possible they just haven't sold any yet, or they've retrofitted a model which is identical, just not on the F-Type directly. I'm really not 100% crystal clear, but the money is gone and the PO is cut and it sounds like Merryway is very interested in making this group buy possible around our price point. Oftentimes there is a single manufacturer, and a ton of resellers and re-branding going on - so i'm attempting to get a bit closer to the source here and it sounds like Merryway is it, or at least works directly with whoever is producing these.

Time will reveal all secrets
That fits in with what Robin told me and why it is not available on Aliexpress.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:18 PM
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I think you should be relatively safe because I suspect the manufacturing is more to do with mounting and screen bezel. The core unit for the Bosch system is the same across JLR cars, so I am expecting the electronics to be fully compatible. For those with the NLI - Harman system I think things are a bit more interesting because I haven't seen any demos or installs of that version !
The screens on these units do much less, as the processing is done in a separate unit, the Audio Head Unit under the centre arm rest. It is literally one cable into the back of these screens. Looking forward to the write up though to understand what the system is like in reality. At least with the current system you get in and go. Will be interested to hear how close it is with the new system, or whether you have mess around with hotspot connectivity each time you get in.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:38 PM

I agree that what they have now on the shelf, is close enough that they were successful in making it work in the F-Type, at least for the 2 videos that were posted. It might not be screwed down and just holding in place with Duct Tape, but it did work.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:58 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Stupid question please... Is Android required or will it work off my I-Phone?

Quick Reply: The Definitive Android 10.25” Retrofit Thread