F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The design pack

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 02:48 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The design pack

I am very confused about what the design pack adds. I search the site, searched google, and just can't find any good differences of what the design pack actually adds. Can someone supply pictures of their F-type with the design pack (preferably with the black pack also), and someone without if this hasn't already been answered? A shot of the front, side, and rear valence would be preferable since those seem to be the affected areas. Thanks

Old 11-14-2014, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Welcome, are you looking for the coupe or convertible (if convertible, v6 or v8?). That'll help us figure out which photos to post.

In the meantime, page 10 of the following order guide shows what the design pack and black pack add for each variant:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-72/f-type-how-guides-information-101906/#post1005339

Old 11-14-2014, 07:53 AM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It adds this piece to the bottom sides of the car, and instead of coloring that piece black, it colors it the same color as the rest of the car. Also, instead of coloring the thing at the bottom front of the car black, it colors it the same color as the rest of the car. The net effect of all of this is that the car seems much lower to the ground.

It's a highly underrated option.

A few weeks ago, a user posted pictures of the f-type R he lowered like an inch or something like that. It still didn't look as low to the ground as a car with the design pack.

The following users liked this post:
DuhCar (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by schraderade
Welcome, are you looking for the coupe or convertible (if convertible, v6 or v8?). That'll help us figure out which photos to post.

In the meantime, page 10 of the following order guide shows what the design pack and black pack add for each variant:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...6/#post1005339
Convt v8
Thanks for the links
Originally Posted by lunagry
It adds this piece to the bottom sides of the car, and instead of coloring that piece black, it colors it the same color as the rest of the car. Also, instead of coloring the thing at the bottom front of the car black, it colors it the same color as the rest of the car. The net effect of all of this is that the car seems much lower to the ground.

It's a highly underrated option.

A few weeks ago, a user posted pictures of the f-type R he lowered like an inch or something like that. It still didn't look as low to the ground as a car with the design pack.
Thank you. I played around on the builder and saw the black accent part of the lower front facia and side skirts changed, but I couldn't see much else. It just doesn't seem like its worth it to have the front facia body colored and then add those (presumably) plastic pieces beneath for $3.5k! Does it do anything significant to the rear air diffuser?

Im honestly not all too worried about low. Im already concerned with 20" rims and the streets of New Orleans (it gets pretty bad in some areas). We have massive curbs and stuff all over that my current car (with ironically has the plastic (aero) pieces that seem to do the same effect here) scrap like crazy!

Old 11-14-2014, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I think the rear diffuser is the biggest difference. Think it looks something like this and probably the main reason I would get one, if I were deciding.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

That's right. The rear diffuser on the V6 is gloss black, but there is no difference on the V8 diffuser, according to the ordering guide published in the "How to . . ." thread.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:58 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

On a completely unrelated note, that bottom picture reminded me - everyone aware that we have rear fog lights? You can see them on the diffuser.

My vague memory is that the reverse light is white, the rear fog lamp is red, but I'm not sure I've ever tried them.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Old 11-14-2014, 11:08 AM

Seems kinda weird to offer the gloss black valence with the design pack that takes away all the black on the front bumper and side sills!

Old 11-14-2014, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by undfeatable
I played around on the builder and saw the black accent part of the lower front facia and side skirts changed, but I couldn't see much else. It just doesn't seem like its worth it to have the front facia body colored and then add those (presumably) plastic pieces beneath for $3.5k! Does it do anything significant to the rear air diffuser?
It will depend on the body color you pick as to how much of a difference it will make (i.e. lighter colors will show a bigger benefit than the dark colors).

Old 11-14-2014, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
On a completely unrelated note, that bottom picture reminded me - everyone aware that we have rear fog lights? You can see them on the diffuser.

My vague memory is that the reverse light is white, the rear fog lamp is red, but I'm not sure I've ever tried them.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...
Yes, there are the small white backup lights, and larger red ones right next to them that are the rear fogs. I use them all the time at night.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
It will depend on the body color you pick as to how much of a difference it will make (i.e. lighter colors will show a bigger benefit than the dark colors).
See, thats the thing, I plan on ordering a Firesand Metallic Conv V8S. I want as much Black accenting as possible as I love the contrast. So I ultimately have to find out if the Design pack is worth that rear valence or just go without this pricy option that Im not sure I would be too crazy over you know?

Old 11-14-2014, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by undfeatable
See, thats the thing, I plan on ordering a Firesand Metallic Conv V8S. I want as much Black accenting as possible as I love the contrast. So I ultimately have to find out if the Design pack is worth that rear valence or just go without this pricy option that Im not sure I would be too crazy over you know?
As I mentioned above, according to the ordering guide provided on the "how to" thread in this forum, the design pack does not include a different rear valence on the V8. It's doesn't make sense because of the quad pipes, two on each side.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
As I mentioned above, according to the ordering guide provided on the "how to" thread in this forum, the design pack does not include a different rear valence on the V8. It's doesn't make sense because of the quad pipes, two on each side.
Completely read over that, sorry. Guess that settles that and save me $. Thanks for all the help.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:42 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm a little late to reply to this thread, but if you are getting a Coupe, the "R" already has all of the elements of the design pack. However, if you are adding the design pack to a Base, "S" or "V8S" vert you will dramatically enhance the look with body colored rear valance, side skirts & diffusers. Pictures of my car with the design pack are posted in another thread. If you order the pack with the car the cost is $3,500, dealer painted and installed. If you choose to add the pack later you will have to pay around $5,000 for the parts, plus paint and install. It's definitely a cost-savings to order this option with the car.

Last edited by MI-FType; 11-14-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:36 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Seems like a poor "value" to me, assuming "value" is in anybody's equation. The $3500 is above and beyond what was already on the car. At the front, you get 3 existing parts painted body color, 2 side skirts (ie 2 composite parts) painted body color, plus a body color addition to the rear diffuser and the rest painted gloss black. Ditto the exterior 'Black Pack" - are the black parts really any more expensive than the chrome parts to JLR - probably not - but if you want them, $$. I guess most of the profit in the F type is (not surprisingly) in the options.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:45 AM

Well I went to the dealership again today. Not only did I take another test drive, this time in an amazing V8s Convertible, but I asked the dealer about the design pack in detail to confirm everything. He said they only had one ordered with it, and its still sitting somewhere. Its an expensive option that makes the car not look as appealing (at least to our eyes, but everyone is different). Definitely out of the equation.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:54 AM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-FType
I'm a little late to reply to this thread, but if you are getting a Coupe, the "R" already has all of the elements of the design pack. However, if you are adding the design pack to a Base, "S" or "V8S" vert you will dramatically enhance the look with body colored rear valance, side skirts & diffusers. Pictures of my car with the design pack are posted in another thread. If you order the pack with the car the cost is $3,500, dealer painted and installed. If you choose to add the pack later you will have to pay around $5,000 for the parts, plus paint and install. It's definitely a cost-savings to order this option with the car.
Except that in the r they're painted black so it's not really the design pack anymore

Old 11-16-2014, 02:48 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Can't you just paint the black parts in the body color, or will this get more expensive than ordering the real deal?

Old 11-17-2014, 01:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes lovely, however is not available in British Racing Green :-(

Old 11-17-2014, 08:24 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulFrancis
Yes lovely, however is not available in British Racing Green :-(
It is not available from the factory in BRG, but available in all colors as a dealer fitted option.