Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A detailed list of all mods done...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by carnut1
After 40 plus years doing stuff to cars, I guess I have a different way of looking at the mods people do. I see it as a form of expression and there really is no right or wrong, if you like it OP that is all that matters. Over the years I have done some strange things to cars (...), but it always pleased me, so enjoy your car the way you want!
+1.

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-20-2016 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:07 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Damn Mike, I feel just awful. Not only did I just **** a $100K down the toilet, but I've also hurt so many along the way.

Be strong knowing It'll never be as bad tomorrow as it is today.

Hey and don't fret over me, even a cheap tacky loser like me can almost be president one day.
Here is my attitude -

I enjoy this forum and generally value the opinions I receive about my posts.

But, at the end of the day, it is an online forum and I don't even know these people.

It is not possible for anyone on this or any other online forum to insult me or hurt my feelings.

That is reserved only for people I know and love and I am so frikkin arrogant even they have a tough time doing it.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (10-14-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts
Default I get what you guys are saying

and hey, you guys know me well enough to not give a rats *** about an opinion but theres a difference between someone saying something like "Hey, I like the grill but I would lose the carbon fiber on the skirts" as opposed to one wetting his pants and having a hissyfit over a sticker, reacting as if I cut out a plexiglass window into my hood so you can see my engine. As he went on, he revealed his pent up frustration. If I remember correctly, it all kinda started when I put together a group buy and tried to save us a few bucks on spacers and he made some silly comment like "Why are you worried about saving $50 when we all drive $100K cars?" When I didn't bother to respond, he looks for opportunities like this to throw digs.

Sorry that we have to even have this turn of conversation.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 08-20-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Default Thanks for this very well thought out post.

Originally Posted by xdave
1. Window tint. 35% rear, 35% sides.
2. Plasti-Dip Jaguar and "F-Type" black.
3. Red caliper covers.
4. 17mm spacers.
5. Color code hood vents.
6. Color code side vents.
7. Clear bra.
8. Painted exhaust tips high temp flat red.
9. Color code rear diffuser.
10. P7 front grill conversion.
11. Aluminum pedal set with mats.
12 Carbon wrap mirrors.
13. Carbon wrap side skirts.
14. Carbon shifter extenders.
15. Black wrap window trim.
16. Smoke tail lights 35%.
17. Sto n Go license plate holder
18. "R" center caps and valve covers, and various stickers.

12/18 - I think I'm winning?!

On the 's:
3. I understand why you have added the caliper covers but I think a subtler black or silver would looks nicer.
8. Not my cup of Earl Grey, but not hideous either. I quite like the little rings of brightness from polished steel tips (but I do not like cleaning them!)
9. With a white car you need a dark rear diffuser or the car looks like it has a fat bottom and is using a tight belt to hold its trousers up. Wrapped or dipped in a glossy CF pattern looks subtle (attached), or matt black like the OEM on the 2015MY. Body-coloured only works on the darker cars, with silver the only exception for me.
14. I simply saw the ones you used in a different thread and didn't like them. The plain aluminium ones have a nicer finish.
16. On a white car the deep red looks quite nice.
18. The caps and covers are fine, but the stickers I can see look out of place.

With some of the the 's
2. Lose the R and the F-TYPE badges and the rear will look better.
5 and 6. The white suits the car (it looks like the colour mismatch may be light reflection), and all MYs should offer the option for body-coloured covers.
10. The front grille isn't bad, but I do prefer the split grille. We have mandatory wide/narrow front license plates here so I'm conditioned to seeing something in that space. Body-colouring the surround looks good.
I will take all you say under advisement. I also agree on a few of your points.

For one: I actually had the F-stickers laying around and stuck em on one night to see how they looked. They didn't bother me so I never bothered to remove them as I had planned but as a previous poster said, If I'm going through all the hassle to monotone the car, why buck the trend with a sticker? He's on point. Stickers to go.

On another point however: Other than the P7 grill, painting the rear diffuser lip white is one of my favorite mods. On a white car, the painted area raises up high up and over the black area and made the car look raked because of the all black under half. The subtle diffuser line in white ties in the lower area to the body and, from the rear makes the car look far more substantial and complicated as well as visually lowering the center of gravity. It's kind of an optical illusion but it looks really good in person and IMO is a must for a white car specifically. It's most definitely a matter of choice because the change in look just from this small mod is quite dramatic.

Here is an example how Ferrari visually implements the body color below the tips to lower the center of gravity on a 488 and apparently jag even thinks it isn't a bad idea. If I recall correctly, I actually got the idea from MBOURNE. If I'm not mistaken his car was the first I saw that had the coded rear lip.

Attached Thumbnails A detailed list of all mods done...-dmc-ferrari-458-spider-elegante-rear-wing.jpg   A detailed list of all mods done...-2015-jaguar-f-type-coupe-hatchback-base-2dr-rear-wheel-drive-convertible-photo-1.png.jpeg   A detailed list of all mods done...-pure-sound-2016-jaguar-f-type-r-coupe-cold-start-revs-acceleration_rear-bumper-view-805x453.jpg   A detailed list of all mods done...-image.jpeg  

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 08-21-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:20 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Like the general direction of monochromatic, like the body colored vents, de-chromed / black badging.

Don't like:
Colors a bit all over the place - keep it monochromatic

exhaust tips - think they look really odd and out of place. Like the idea of carbon tips instead

Stickers - terrible

Caliper covers - look like big lumps of plastic, very odd. Maybe paint calipers gloss black?

Rear smoked lights - reminds me of a modded Jap car, although it does keep with the black / white theme admittedly, just not my taste.

R badges - the chrome / colors doesn't fit with what you are doing with the rest of the car. Just debadge them?

Important thing - its your car, you are the one driving it so do what makes you feel happy.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:51 PM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Wow...I think this is the most emotion people on jaguar forums have ever shown! Considering 90% of our threads are about windshield washer fluid or "OMG, what if there's still 8oz of 87oct in the pump line?!"...seriously there are scores of threads here.

Anyway, I mainly agree with Mr xDave...paint them exhaust tips flat black and call it a day. Although I def don't hate the flat red.

As someone who ripped the soul out of a Supra...I'm use to some hate. I'm giving this white & blacked out F-type an overall thumbs up. I'd ride shotgun any day.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Philly Single
Wow...I think this is the most emotion people on jaguar forums have ever shown! Considering 90% of our threads are about windshield washer fluid or "OMG, what if there's still 8oz of 87oct in the pump line?!"...seriously there are scores of threads here.

Anyway, I mainly agree with Mr xDave...paint them exhaust tips flat black and call it a day. Although I def don't hate the flat red.

As someone who ripped the soul out of a Supra...I'm use to some hate. I'm giving this white & blacked out F-type an overall thumbs up. I'd ride shotgun any day.
Yea thanks for pointing out that muffler tips can be such a central point for hatred. It baffles me to no end that no one has a single problem with painting brake calipers red, black, blue, white or even yellow for that matter, but for some reason as it relates to muffler tips, to change them from anything other than chrome is blasphemous. I am de-chroming the car. Chrome tips look terrible on my car as she sits. I'm going to ride them red for a while just to be different, although I'm thinking a flat wrinkle red like Ferrari manifold paint. Maybe it all just comes from those who simply think "Jag knows best." and if they decided that chrome is somehow correct for tips, thats good enough for them.
Perhaps someone can step up and clearly state why they feel muffler tips are off limits as far as modifying the color when brake calipers evoke zero reaction. It's essentially the very same type of mod.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 08-20-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

What you do to your car has to please exactly one person, YOU! No one else. My 2002 XKR vert is bone stock, and I never felt the need or desire to alter its classic, beautiful shape. My 2010 XKR coupe, has had a number of "plastic surgeries." It has an aftermarket rear bumper/diffuser that I found more aggressive but tasteful. Some on the X150 forum have voiced their disapproval. I respect their opinion, but I did it for me. I added after market ( although almost identical to optional factory) side skirts and a front splitter, painted my hood vents black, have added emblems, done a pulley and tune, and various other "upgrades." I'm happy with the changes, and I think they look good, and that's what counts. Hopefully you're satisfied with your changes.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:53 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I for one, like the red exhaust tips. Not sure why, but I do. I would probably end up painting them black after a while though. Or do the Carbon fiber looking tips. The only thing I would change are the Caliper Covers and stickers. Love the P7 grille, ordering one myself, the smoked taillights and the color matched grills and diffuser. If my car was white I'd do the "Storm Trooper" look. All white with black accents.
With my car being black I want the "Murdered " look. Yes I know its played out but that is what I like. I will be de-badging and de-chroming mine as I go along. Still new to me so I leave it as is for now

Old 08-21-2016, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Philly Single

Yes, 80 percent of the time this forum is painfully boring with the topics. Great place to go if you need to know bolt torquing specs. I feel there are a lot of great guys on here with good ideas that rarely speak up because of the critical culture here.

What's worse, looking back at the history, every single person who has ever had bold, innovative, independent ideas on here has faded away into obscurity. Leaving us now with topics such as "Help!, I have a peeling F badge". (No offense to that OP). At the risk of making the regulars cringe, I often revive old threads that are interesting to me just to get the juices flowing again but as usual, Ensure is the drink of choice. This is intentionally not an environment for independence to flourish and this has always been my gripe which is why everything that bucks the norm is always so damn controversial. I wish some of the elder statesmen here would go visit the E46 or 911 forum for a week just to see how a vibrant group of guys interchange ideas. Everyone seems to have opinions but not many are getting personally offended over there. Must have something to do with the average age of the member here. The damn F is a three year old car and we have purists already? A toast to the future F-Pioneers and here's to you keeping this forum interesting.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 08-21-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:29 AM
Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Just my 2penneth from over the pound, the only things that really look out of place (apart from the caliper covers lol) are the chrome badges you've left on, either take them off or paint them like the others, not easy i know.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Timbo
Just my 2penneth from over the pound, the only things that really look out of place (apart from the caliper covers lol) are the chrome badges you've left on, either take them off or paint them like the others, not easy i know.
Well the main issue is the front center. you can't simply remove it because theres a flat indentation. Im trying to figure out a solution so all the badging that remains will look uniform.

Any ideas?

Old 08-21-2016, 11:38 AM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

Actually on the clear bra, what I've learned is always do the complete panel much like you'd repaint. If you do there are no lines to see and you have to look very close to see the product. On this car while I'm not a fan of red (color blind red/green so neither looks good to me), I think the overall effect is really nice. Then again mine is Purple and I have a huge Thundercats logo on my other Jag so I'm sure as hell not throwing stones. Folks should be free to do what they like to their own car. And really why have something that is just generic, it's boring.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:42 AM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

Oh, on the front center badge, it may come apart so you could have it repainted. The one for my XKR was in two pieces allowing me to take the chrome black (eventually I just got rid if it because the black kept getting rubbed off because it was on the hood). I'd pick up a spare and mess with it. Just a thought.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Yes, 80 percent of the time this forum is painfully boring with the topics. Great place to go if you need to know bolt torquing specs. I feel there are a lot of great guys on here with good ideas that rarely speak up because of the critical culture here.
I think you're being relatively harsh on general public here because they don't share the same opinion as you. You can't deny that your style doesn't really mesh with the way other people on this forum like to modify their cars; that is evident by your last car which you previously showed us. A lot of people here think that style is trashy or that you're ruining the car, but if you like it who cares?

That being said, you need to understand the number of people willing to modify a high end, low volume sports car is relatively low. BMW and Porsche sell 10x as many M3s and 911s than Jaguar does F-types, so of course there aren't going to be as many mod happy enthusiasts. And if you have a different style than the general population, I wouldn't expect to see what you consider "good ideas" when there isn't much of a population of enthusiasts to begin with. Most people here are about making their sports car faster, not look better.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I think you're being relatively harsh on general public here because they don't share the same opinion as you. You can't deny that your style doesn't really mesh with the way other people on this forum like to modify their cars; that is evident by your last car which you previously showed us. A lot of people here think that style is trashy or that you're ruining the car, but if you like it who cares?

That being said, you need to understand the number of people willing to modify a high end, low volume sports car is relatively low. BMW and Porsche sell 10x as many M3s and 911s than Jaguar does F-types, so of course there aren't going to be as many mod happy enthusiasts. And if you have a different style than the general population, I wouldn't expect to see what you consider "good ideas" when there isn't much of a population of enthusiasts to begin with. Most people here are about making their sports car faster, not look better.
I think we just said the same thing in different words...What did we disagree on Stohlen?

I never asked anyone to join me in any way. All I asked is for those who take things they may not do themselves as a personal affront. Forums should be a showcase of different views and ideas, not a secret invitational lodge meeting of vanilla rules. If the vibe was more open, you'd get a hell of a lot more input here from guys who are terrified of being ridiculed. When I first joined the forum, a very prominent and well respected member sent me a PM day one to warn me of the culture here and who not to "**** off". Sometimes I don't listen too well.

If what I say isnt true then why is every other post "It's your car, you are able to do what you want to it" reassurances? That is the default position of people who want to see this forum open to all ideas, like them or not. As it should be.

Your "go faster, rather than look better" comment is yet another example of compartmentalizing the members into those who apparently not superficial enough to focus on visual mods. It's kinda BS really as half the posts here are those gushing over Ian's creation. The other half are those overly concerned about voiding their warranty by doing performance mods. I don't see a clear us/them gap as it related to who does what kind of mods, nor do I feel some mods are limited to a more regarded clique. So I respectfully reject that notion. I personally will not risk anything to void my warranty and thats the only reason I haven't moved forward in that arena. I had a e46 M3 about ten years ago and had a long warranty dispute with them over a stage II upgrade that Weatherford Motors tried to screw me over. I feel the F is too new of a car to know what the ramifications will be should an incident present itself based on the interactions with guys on here thats had to deal with JLR over speakers, lemons, and the such. I wouldn't think they would be too receptive to overlooking performance mods. My personal dealer, Cole European, are known for being snooty, strictly by the book guys who look down their nose at anything this isn't oem. Just isn't worth it until the car goes off their care.

To be honest, all I do in say on here is to the purpose of opening up the culture to all that could get so much more from here. Does that make me a martyr of some sort? LOL

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 08-21-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Do some people actually dislike window tint and clear bras? Thats a heavy dose of opinion.
Yes, some people actually do feel that way: More against heavy tint than clear bras because properly done the latter is invisible from any distance.

I'd need to see the exhaust tips in person, but I think a dark matte red could look good (if dark enough). The white car with bright accents is a bit too much for me, and some darker accents help set off the shape of the car. My primary leaning against white cars is that they can look like bars of soap without sufficient details to highlight the design.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Yes, some people actually do feel that way: More against heavy tint than clear bras because properly done the latter is invisible from any distance.

I'd need to see the exhaust tips in person, but I think a dark matte red could look good (if dark enough). The white car with bright accents is a bit too much for me, and some darker accents help set off the shape of the car. My primary leaning against white cars is that they can look like bars of soap without sufficient details to highlight the design.
You're in NOCAL, Lizzardo, I'd love for you to see the car in person and share your opinion. That's what we are here for. My soul isn't tied into my possessions to the point where i'd ever feel insecure about one's opinion, if fact i'd welcome the dialog.

How's your car coming along by the way? Maybe you need to go for a drive in her since its been a while for you.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

If the vibe was more open, you'd get a hell of a lot more input here from guys who are terrified of being ridiculed.

If what I say isnt true then why is every other post "It's your car do what you want" reassurances? That is the default position of people who want to see this forum open to all ideas, like them or not. As it should be.
This is an internally inconsistent part of your argument. The first few people that replied in this thread provided their commentary on your modifications, and said something to the effect of "whatever floats your boat." To a third party, it seemed like your responses to that feedback were the ones out of proportion. I certainly didn't read the same amount of "emotion" in those comments as I did in your replies. I honestly don't understand why it became a problem. You like what you did. Some don't. So....what?

I certainly don't equate mixed feedback on cosmetic mods (which are decidedly personal) to a closed vibe on this forum. I've found this place tremendously helpful in getting to know the car, and have had many "newbie" questions answered by people who know way more than I do.

What you've done to your car is much less visually jarring than a former poster (sold his car and moved on) who had neon orange stripes and decals everywhere. He was well received and seemed to have consistently positive back-and-forth with everyone, despite a similar number of "fans" of his artwork.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carnut1
After 40 plus years doing stuff to cars, I guess I have a different way of looking at the mods people do. I see it as a form of expression and there really is no right or wrong, if you like it OP that is all that matters. Over the years I have done some strange things to cars (even messed with Ferrari's when it was considered a sin to do so), but it always pleased me, so enjoy your car the way you want!
Oh and I forgot to thank you for your post. Your desire to modify your steering wheel before you'd even feel comfortable to drive her is a testament of a man with focus who knows what he wants. I appreciate conviction.

I liked your style from day one and welcomed you here because you add something outside the loop. I have a feeling you'll get no grief here because of your impressive resume and that will be enough to keep the mosquitos away. They'll bite their lips until blood begins to trickle because according to your cover letter, your assets are probably dancing circles around everyone on here. That'll be enough to insulate you. Keep contributing as I truly enjoy your input.

Quick Reply: A detailed list of all mods done...