F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Determining engine power in used Jag F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 10:38 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Determining engine power in used Jag F-Type

Is it possible to determine what engine type (power produced) by the VIN of an V6 F-Type? I'm looking at one online and the seller claims that it's a 2019 base model, but the Wikipedia page says that the base 340 hp engine was only produced between 2013-17, and made 380 hp after that. Were base models produced after that, and if so, what engine power did they produce? Thanks.

Last edited by kb58; 04-07-2022 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

I understand that the 340 PS version of the V6 was available in the F-Type up until at least the 2020 MY in all markets and possibly 2021 MY in some markets.
Also the 340 PS and 380 PS versions were always available in parallel, with the 340 in the "base" model and the 380 in the V6S up until IIRC the 2019 MY when the names and badging changed so that the base model became just plain F-Type (with the 340 engine) and the S became the V6 R-Dynamic with the 380 engine.
But it looks like the V6 has now been entirely dropped for the F-Type in all markets for the 2022 MY as it does not show at all on the US, UK or AU Jaguar sites.
For the 2019 MY the base model with the 340 PS version of the V6 was definitely available in all markets including US/Canada.
IIRC someone has posted around here somewhere how to read the VIN including the engine type/size/power.
Edit - the VIN tells you V6 or V8 but for a V6 it doesn't tell you if it's 340 or 380 (or 400 for the 400 Sport).
Other than badging (which can be faked or mucked up in the factory) the only visual way to be sure if it's an S or an R-Dynamic or a 400 Sport is the active damping/suspension, the latter three have it but the base does not. If the car has active suspension then you can plainly see in the engine bay wires going to plugs on the tops of the front suspension struts, if no such wires it's a base. So ask the seller to send you a photo of the engine bay/front struts.

Last edited by OzXFR; 04-08-2022 at 06:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Carbuff2 (04-08-2022), kb58 (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 08:36 AM

Thank you very much; this was very helpful. In fact, I was about to ask what the differences are between the Base and S model, other than engine power. Is the consensus here that the active damping suspension is "worth it", or is it something that doesn't make much difference in ride and/or is troublesome? The reason for the questions is that if I plan to tune the car, the V6 power becomes unimportant, and then other factors come into play. Availability and cost, both to buy and insure start to matter.

Reading your signature, you have a perfect example. You started with an S, then modified the engine, suspension, and brakes. If you'd known that you'd be making those changes, would you have still started with an S, or would a base model have been just as good a starting point?

Last edited by kb58; 04-08-2022 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kb58
Thank you very much; this was very helpful. In fact, I was about to ask what the differences are between the Base and S model, other than engine power. Is the consensus here that the active damping suspension is "worth it", or is it something that doesn't make much difference in ride and/or is troublesome? The reason for the questions is that if I plan to tune the car, the V6 power becomes unimportant, and then other factors come into play. Availability and cost, both to buy and insure start to matter.

Reading your signature, you have a perfect example. You started with an S, then modified the engine, suspension, and brakes. If you'd known that you'd be making those changes, would you have still started with an S, or would a base model have been just as good a starting point?
The other differences between the base and the S are bigger wheels and brakes on the S (but they could be optioned on the base) and the S has a mechanical LSD while the base has an open diff, and a base could not be optioned with the LSD.
I find that the S is worth it not just for the LSD but especially for configurable dynamics aka iDynamic which you can't get on the base.
There are many reports that the ride on the base is a bit harsher than the non-Dynamic aka "Normal" ride on the S and I find that the Dynamic ride setting is a bit too harsh for normal day to day driving on shitty roads so I have it set to Normal.
In hindsight even if I had known of the tuning options I probably would still have gone for the S anyway, and all the reviews at the time said the S was the best choice.
F-Type choices have always been extremely limited here in Oz so five and half years ago when a fully optioned used S came up at a bargain price I jumped all over it.
All that said I would still prefer an R but they have always been out of my price range and used ones here in Oz are extremely rare.

Edit - forgot to add - another easy way to visually tell a base from an S is the front brakes. The base has the 355 mm front brakes while the S has the 380 mm. Someone may have optioned the bigger front brakes on a base but I have never seen or heard of such an animal. Conversely if the car has 355 mm front brakes it is guaranteed to be a base unless someone was foolish enough to downgrade from the 380 mm brakes.
I can tell 355 vs 380 brakes by sight from a mile away but not many F-Type noobies can!

Last edited by OzXFR; 04-08-2022 at 09:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kb58 (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 09:38 AM

Ah, thanks for pointing out the differential/LSD! I've run cars both with and without and it makes an enormous difference, so between that and the suspension, an S model it is.

R models are around here (Southern California) but I'm not sure I want one for the street. I know where one is and maybe I just need to put on my big boy pants and drive it, rather than guessing and assuming what I'd think of it. It also avoids wondering in the future whether I should have gotten one in the first place, hah. The "problem" around here is that it seems as if 95% of all F-Type cars are either black or white, and I want neither. Makes the search more challenging. Thanks again.

Last edited by kb58; 04-08-2022 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kb58
Ah, thanks for pointing out the differential/LSD! I've run cars both with and without and it makes an enormous difference, so between that and the suspension, an S model it is.

R models are around here (Southern California) but I'm not sure I want one for the street. I know where one is and maybe I just need to put on my big boy pants and drive it, rather than guessing and assuming what I'd think of it. It also avoids wondering in the future whether I should have gotten one in the first place, hah. The "problem" around here is that it seems as if 95% of all F-Type cars are either black or white, and I want neither. Makes the search more challenging. Thanks again.
Just beware that not all V6S came with the configurable dynamics, most did but some didn't. I think that changed with MY 2016 and they all did after that and all Rs have always had it.
Mine did not have it but Cambo here activated it for me with his SDD equipment.
Same here with used F-Type colour choices except more so, they are 90% white, 5% black and 5% everything else!

The following users liked this post:
kb58 (04-08-2022)