Sponsored by:

Diff pinion seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2024, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,258 Likes on 2,405 Posts
Default Diff pinion seal replacement

Looking for advice and feedback.
2014 V6S so the mechanical LSD with around 76,600 km.
The diff pinion seal has been leaking for a while, the last three years at least.
Just a slight seep to start with but now it's leaving a few drips on the garage floor. Not a lot, just two or three drops after a long drive.
I have spoken to my preferred mechanic and he has quoted me $1,200 - $1,500 for the job which seems a bit steep, although that is crappy Oz micro-pesos so closer to $1,000 US.
He suggested I could simply keep it topped up with diff fluid (and clear the probably clogged vent).
So what do you all reckon, keep it topped up or spring for the full job of seal replacement?
Yes I know a new diff would be verrry expensive but I understand that keeping it topped up will prevent the existing diff from grenading.

Old 08-30-2024, 06:44 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Default My Thought

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Looking for advice and feedback.
2014 V6S so the mechanical LSD with around 76,600 km.
The diff pinion seal has been leaking for a while, the last three years at least.
Just a slight seep to start with but now it's leaving a few drips on the garage floor. Not a lot, just two or three drops after a long drive.
I have spoken to my preferred mechanic and he has quoted me $1,200 - $1,500 for the job which seems a bit steep, although that is crappy Oz micro-pesos so closer to $1,000 US.
He suggested I could simply keep it topped up with diff fluid (and clear the probably clogged vent).
So what do you all reckon, keep it topped up or spring for the full job of seal replacement?
Yes I know a new diff would be verrry expensive but I understand that keeping it topped up will prevent the existing diff from grenading.
OzXFR,

I have thought of your scenario often as for all f-type owners its not a situation of if but when. The price quoted in my opinion is steep but it’s probably a great value compared to a Jaguar dealership.

A main factor before choosing the route forward is asking yourself how long are you going to keep the car. Personally, the f-type is my dream car and I am going to drive my F-type until I reach the age of needing help with transportation.

Option 1 (my personal choice): I would do it myself. Herman from Onca Engineering has pulled the diff in his garage from jackstands. There is a cost of special tools. Last time I priced special tools for the job it came out to around $700 dollars.

Option 1 Pros:

1, The job is done right (I have trust problems in the automotive world).

2, Significant cost savings (50% if only special tools are needed) for first time seal replacement. If you ever need to do the job again you would only have to buy a seal.

3, Knowledge gained about the car which in my opinion is priceless.

4, Increased tooling collection for your platform.

5, Opportunity to upgrade the diff with Onca engineering.

6, Opportunity to clean/paint/and preserve the subframe and fixed suspension components. (I am currently working with a machine shop for a permanent solution to remove a re-brace the car with lighter, stronger, and a corrosion resistant material, more to follow).

Option 1 Cons:

1, Labor intensive. I have learned its Jag and you have to want it because nothing is easy on our platform.

2, cost to acquire needed tooling

3, Downtime of the car. Would not recommend DIY if you do not have a garage and another vehicle because in my experience discovery of other concerns are often found when a major disassembly is conducted.

Option 2 is to pay the garage and hope the job is done right with oem seal and correct fluid type and capacity while checking for leaks after work is complete for several months’ minimum.

Option 3 (not recommended) Just add fluid. Although cost effective up front there is an unknown and possibility of when the seal finally fails causing loss of fluid, overheating and the need of a new diff or complete rebuild. Personally, I would not drive the car as many of us within the community are aware that any leak from our platform can easily turn into a catastrophic event.

The following users liked this post:
Luc Lapierre (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 10:35 AM
Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

If you do decide to add fluid, consider cutting an access hole in your trunk to inspect the vent port. As a bonus, it would be fairly easy to add fluid through this same port without needing to lift the car or remove the drain plug. I posed a detailed DIY on how to cut this access hole in the e-diff thread here in the forum. FYI.

Last edited by diablo2112; 08-30-2024 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-30-2024, 11:42 AM
Received 260 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by diablo2112
If you do decide to add fluid, consider cutting an access hole in your trunk to inspect the vent port. As a bonus, it would be fairly easy to add fluid through this same port without needing to lift the car or remove the drain plug. I posed a detailed DIY on how to cut this access hole in the e-diff thread here in the forum. FYI.
Simply amazing. Ignoring the obvious...why didn't JLR do this for us?

Old 08-30-2024, 02:13 PM
Received 213 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Simply amazing. Ignoring the obvious...why didn't JLR do this for us?
What, and deprive us of the joy of doing it ourselves??

Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,258 Likes on 2,405 Posts

Update.
Took the car into a local mechanic today to have the diff fluid level checked, they said it was a little low and topped it up with some Motul Gear 300 LS (wot was already in there and after I bought a 1 litre bottle via Fleabay).
Total cost a whopping $80 AU so around $55 US, waaaay cheaper than $1200 - $1500 AU to replace the diff pinion seal.
Considering I do only some 2000 miles per year these days I reckon I will just keep on checking for leaks/drips and get it topped up once every couple of years if needed.

The following users liked this post:
diablo2112 (Yesterday)