Sponsored by:

Different Colors on Side Vents

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Yes...part numbers, please.
Sure thing! These are actually the rear arches from an XKR. Got them from another post and they are listed below. Best place I found for them is BritCar.

Need left and right arches and also 12 clips. I have photos and all other info in that post and the info is provided there. Link below. ( I put picks in post #44). Credit to Powerhouse.

LINK HERE

Good luck, and let me know if I can help more.

DC

Old 03-30-2020, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Just a word of warning about the wheel arch extensions/mouldings.
The metal retaining clips do not fit all that tightly and with mine even the gentlest nudge (such as when cleaning the car) dislodged them.
On one longer drive two of them disappeared (the bottom one on each side).
They are designed to fit in little recesses in the mouldings and might work better (fit tighter) outside of those recesses, but when I tried that I had trouble getting them on at all.
The top two clips each side (or it could be the bottom two, I never did figure out which way up they are supposed to go!) are not needed as the mouldings have 3M double sided tape instead in these places.
I got sick of my clips forever springing off and I never could get the mouldings to fit nice and flat / hard up against the wheel arches (such that the slight gaps annoyed the bejeebus out of me), so I removed them a few weeks ago.
The obvious solution which others have tried (including I think Therock88) is to stick them on with double sided tape the whole way.
So I tried that but failed miserably, I couldn't get them nice and tight against the wheel arches, not due to any fault or defect in either the mouldings or the tape but due to my shitty eyesight, shitty sense of touch/feel (MS) and shitty hand/eye co-ordination (again MS).
Others without these failings should have more success.
But the moral of the story is don't clip 'em, stick 'em!

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Oz, thanks for saving me the trial and error (and the cost of the clips). These moldings may save some wear and tear on the clear wrap just in front of the rear wheel arches.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

Check out my post (#44) in the other thread. Mine are tight and solid. Trimmed notches, and also put 3M tape behind them. They do not budge at all...The 3M tape also makes it thicker, so the clips bite better and are tighter.

DC

Runs strip of 3M tape the entire length (short of edges by 1/4" or so)

Trim off tabs at top and also cut notches with razor knife to allow clips to go on completely flush

You can see, by trimming the notches, the clips seat all the way

Very tight and secure.

Last edited by Therock88; 03-30-2020 at 10:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Therock88:
JgaXkr (04-29-2020), OzXFR (03-30-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 07:46 AM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks great! You're not tempted to paint the other trim components instead of wrapping them? The grille surround turned out really well.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jlsthlm
Looks great! You're not tempted to paint the other trim components instead of wrapping them? The grille surround turned out really well.
Thanks! Couple of things....I would likely need to remove all of the trim to paint it....and that would be a task, and worry about getting it sealed (and many trims have blind rivets, which are fun!)
Also, I already have them wrapped, without removing and they came out really well...You cannot really tell they were not black to begin with, and can always remove and re-wrap...You know, when I decide
to make them pink or something

I tried to put a close(er) up shot below so you can see how it looks. Cannot really tell it is wrapped.

Take care,
DC

Old 03-31-2020, 09:47 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

White cars look so much better with black window surrounds!

Old 03-31-2020, 10:33 AM
Received 143 Likes on 72 Posts

Impressed with the final result, your persistence and some of the personalization ideas you came up with. Am just glad my car came with the black package because I have little or no patience and would not have been able to complete what you accomplished without therapy! I am thinking of having my lower side skirts professionally wrapped in gloss black because it's such a pain to keep the white clean and it shows every imperfection. Have read that they are difficult to remove due to all of the fasteners (official term escapes me) so that is not a preferred option and I hope it can be wrapped while attached. Having them painted would probably require more prep, effort and shop time. Your thoughts on the actual process and would you or anyone else also recommend wrapping the small lower side pieces on the front spitter to match or is it visually not really necessary? Thanks.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Portlander
Impressed with the final result, your persistence and some of the personalization ideas you came up with. Am just glad my car came with the black package because I have little or no patience and would not have been able to complete what you accomplished without therapy! I am thinking of having my lower side skirts professionally wrapped in gloss black because it's such a pain to keep the white clean and it shows every imperfection. Have read that they are difficult to remove due to all of the fasteners (official term escapes me) so that is not a preferred option and I hope it can be wrapped while attached. Having them painted would probably require more prep, effort and shop time. Your thoughts on the actual process and would you or anyone else also recommend wrapping the small lower side pieces on the front spitter to match or is it visually not really necessary? Thanks.
Thanks. It is my therapy away from work! And now that I offloaded a couple of Porsches, I am enjoying learning about these jaguars. The wrap should be no problem in place if desired. Mine are wrapped in XPEL clear currently, as is the entire front nose and rear bumper and sides up to the door line. All done with pieces in place. The front pieces are easy to remove...4 screws and they drop off (literally 30 seconds). More of a preference as to if you wrap them....Good news is it peels off...Paint does not! Everything is relative, but I do not think the side skirts are that difficult to get off (nor the whole front end I just removed for that matter...). The challenge is they fastened the top from the inside of the rocker panel, so it has to come off to get to those fasteners....Requires removing wheel apron screws, and some door trim to get it off....Poor design, but whatever... I would try the wrap on the side skirts as it would be easy, and reversible. If you need instructions for removing the skirts let me know.

DC

Old 03-31-2020, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the advice and timely response. Will proceed with the black gloss wrap on the side skirts and front pieces once I find a decent installer in the Portland area. Am also transitioning from a Porsche (Cayman S) along with a previous BMW M4, hopefully the Jaguar will entertain me for a couple of years! Jim

Old 03-31-2020, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the advice and timely response. Will proceed with the black gloss wrap on the side skirts and front pieces once I find a decent installer in the Portland area. Am also transitioning from a Porsche (Cayman S) along with a previous BMW M4, hopefully the Jaguar will entertain me for a couple of years! Jim
Ha...Very good! Here is the last P-car I just let go of. Super fast, but hard to get good sound with the twin turbos. The Jaguar is a different story! I wrapped the hood and front lip with Carbon Fiber on this one....

DC

Old 03-31-2020, 02:03 PM

Beautiful car and the carbon fiber works well with it! My Cayman S was also black and it looked amazing for about 30 minutes after detailing, I'll never own another black vehicle. So this is an off topic question but can you tell me a little bit about the "RaceChip" you have listed with your F-Type?

Old 03-31-2020, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

Beautiful car and the carbon fiber works well with it! My Cayman S was also black and it looked amazing for about 30 minutes after detailing, I'll never own another black vehicle. So this is an off topic question but can you tell me a little bit about the "RaceChip" you have listed with your F-Type?
Thanks...and sure. Will send you a PM on it.

DC

Old 04-05-2020, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member

NOW...I think I am all done for the moment. After finishing all of the painting and wrapping, I decided the back end chrome should go also. So I ordered the "F-Type" and "Leaper" in black and could not find the "R' in black, co carefully taped, sanded, primed and painted it. Delicate work there, but came out really good. I decided to leave off the "JAGUAR" on the decklid, and the "AWD" on the rear bumper. Also, the License plate trim had a chrome badge on it, so I wrapped it with black 3M also, just for fun while I was there. Put a before picture too for reference. I know some my like one more than the other, and opinions are OK...I like I better now!

Before

The following users liked this post:
jlsthlm (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 09:41 AM

I personally prefer the silver badges because I feel they compliment and match the silver exhaust tips as the designers may have intended. My brother has a white M5 Competition with black badges and black exhaust tips and the combination works well. As far as the Jaguar text I actually like it on non SVR versions but would have removed it if I had the large spoiler. That said, your car looks awesome for the vision you are pursuing and your work and attention to detail is impressive. Am surprised you have not tinted the back window which would really complete the blackout theme or maybe you have and the "before" photo is much older. I legally tinted all of my windows last week and it really enhances the look on a white car and I'm very pleased with the results. Question, is the AWD piece actually separate from the R badge for removal purposes? Mine is a little off angle visually from the factory and it is starting to bother me and I was thinking of reapplying it correctly.

Last edited by Portlander; 04-05-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

I personally prefer the silver badges because I feel they compliment and match the silver exhaust tips as the designers may have intended. My brother has a white M5 Competition with black badges and black exhaust tips and the combination works well. As far as the Jaguar text I actually like it on non SVR versions but would have removed it if I had the large spoiler. That said, your car looks awesome for the vision you are pursuing and your work and attention to detail is impressive. Am surprised you have not tinted the back window which would really complete the blackout theme or maybe you have and the "before" photo is much older. I legally tinted all of my windows last week and it really enhances the look on a white car and I'm very pleased with the results. Question, is the AWD piece actually separate from the R badge for removal purposes? Mine is a little off angle visually from the factory and it is starting to bother me and I was thinking of reapplying it correctly.
Hi There...

Thanks. Yes, I also realize different taste for different folks. I do have the "Jaguar" letters in black, just did not put them on as I kind of like the cleaner look. On the "AWD"...It is separate from the "R" and easy to heat a little and slowly pull off, then clean off the 3M Moulding tape on the back(pressure activated) and then replace with some 3M tape and re-apply. You will be golden. And on the window tint...Funny you should say that. I have some ordered for all windows in charcoal (so it is not brownish color. Just have not gotten around to getting that installed yet.

Take care,
DC

Old 04-05-2020, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the tips on the AWD badge and I'm going to round up the hair dryer and some dental floss. Post some new photos once you complete your window tinting (charcoal will be perfect) then you can take a well deserved break from car projects : )