F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disabling rear spoiler function...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 07:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Disabling rear spoiler function...

I've never been a fan of the operable rear spoiler on the f type (or any other car that has this feature).

While I understand it's in place for higher speed stability (started with the TT). I like the cleaner coupe look of it in the fixed down position. With that being said, has anyone disabled the spoiler operation? I'm sure the fuse could be pulled to disable the operation.

Yes I'm sure many will think I'm crazy for suggesting it but I like the clean look without it raising and lowering upon acceleration. And yes I'm the guy that removes all of the rear badges too (for I know what I'm driving). If I keep it under 85 mph I'm sure no issues would be encountered.

Ok forum members hammer away on my thoughts. 😊

The following users liked this post:
Mulmur (02-23-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew f type
Ok forum members hammer away on my thoughts. ��
1. You have every right to feel anyway you want about any part of your car.
2. By disabling the spoiler you will not be significantly compromising the handling of the car at any legal speed except maybe in Montana (80mph).
3. The fuse trick will work if there are no other devices served by that fuse.
4. I personally will try to figure out how to add a switch to either provide full up/down control or to at least keep it from going up over 70mph (I don't need a flag for smokey even if he doesn't know the detailed operating parameters).

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-23-2015 at 07:20 PM.
DuhCar (02-24-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 07:22 PM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

If the fuse does the trick, then the switch but is very easy.

Having said that, I find it endlessly amusing watching the spoiler rise and lower ( I know, small things amuse small minds) and wouldn't do it, but then the spoiler is one of the few bits of the convertible that look better than the coupe.

Last edited by AnD3rew; 02-23-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
I personally will try to figure out how to add a switch to either provide full up/down control or to at least keep it from going up over 70mph (I don't need a flag for smokey even if he doesn't know the detailed operating parameters).
Just tell the officer that it comes up at 60mph, which is true for the convertible.

Gasman2 (04-27-2023)
Old 02-23-2015, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Just tell the officer that it comes up at 60mph, which is true for the convertible.
This is how all such conversations go with me:
Officer: Do you know how fast you were going?
Me: Ummm...yes sir, way too f***ing fast.

I've been using that line for the last 20 years every time I get pulled over (no spoiler flag needed). Usually cracks them up, but they have always let me go with a warning.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Yes, that one works well and has always been my approach.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts

The look on peoples faces as they watch the spoiler go up as I pull away is priceless...Bravo Jaguar.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:54 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Might have made more sense for Jaguar to limit the Spoiler deployment to Dynamic and/or Sport mode, and left it disabled in regular Drive mode for when we are lazily cruising along - as opposed to racing - at slightly elevated highway speeds.

The following 2 users liked this post by IronMike:
DuhCar (02-24-2015), Mulmur (02-24-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 11:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
The look on peoples faces as they watch the spoiler go up as I pull away is priceless...Bravo Jaguar.
+1 I quite enjoy the spoiler function as it currently is. No need to change a thing in how it operates.

TR64ever (04-13-2016)
Old 02-24-2015, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by zerphyte
+1 I quite enjoy the spoiler function as it currently is. No need to change a thing in how it operates.
Here too we are like minded zerphyte!

And Lance and Foosh: surely neither of you actually use the 'F" word when addressing any officer? I totally get where you're both coming from - and I guarantee* you you haven't heard anything along the sort of lines I've used to get out of...eh...infractions - and applaud your avoiding same.

But I've found that my initial approach to dealing (successfully) with any officer is politeness and courtesy (along with immediately turning off the engine before being asked to). Even when utilizing - which I myself have done (trust me when I say you have no idea) - humor. *"Excuse me officer but has anyone ever told you you have a lovely smile?"

Try that one on for size. That coming from, I promise - and addressed to, I promise - a heterosexual. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Whatever works gentleman and ladies, whatever works.

So if using the "F" works for you, far be it for me to question your methods or approach.

Happy f#%^*+= motoring.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 02-24-2015 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Pretty sure the first "in production" automatic spoiler was by Porsche exactly to keep the clean lines and not to have a permanent spoiler attached.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:12 PM
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Waking up an old thread... anybody figure it out? I would love to have the spoiler hooked into Dynamic or Sport mode button (or the "clean" button), or raise the up speed to 80 or 90 mph

I was driving behind another(white) f-type coupe on my way to Miami yesterday, so I got to see both (spoiler up and down) many times during 40 miles of travel.... I did like the spoiler down...

Last edited by Grumpy Finn; 04-13-2016 at 04:13 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 04-13-2016, 04:50 PM
Received 397 Likes on 210 Posts

Its built into the car's CCF files. If theres a fault with the spoiler, the car will restrict top speed to I THINK 135mph if I remember correctly and you will get an error message on the gauge cluster.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpy Finn
Waking up an old thread... anybody figure it out? I would love to have the spoiler hooked into Dynamic or Sport mode button (or the "clean" button), or raise the up speed to 80 or 90 mph

I was driving behind another(white) f-type coupe on my way to Miami yesterday, so I got to see both (spoiler up and down) many times during 40 miles of travel.... I did like the spoiler down...
Someone provided a picture or pictures of how to lift up the spoiler manually and disconnect it.. at which point it stays down. I think it was about a year ago so possibly you can find it on here.

I seem to recall that with this procedure they did not get any warning light on the dashboard.

My plan has been to do same, but just have not gotten around to it.
Lawrence

Old 04-13-2016, 05:59 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

The electrical connections to the servo which raises the spoiler were disconnected.

Yeah there was a thread but it'll be fun trying to find it...

Old 04-13-2016, 06:09 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Finding it wasn't too difficult, fortunately.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-121672/page5/
^Link will take you to the relevant section of the thread.

Last edited by BierNut; 04-13-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Smoke Em (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 06:11 PM
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I remember that thread also, but I would still like it better, if the spoiler was operable. We can change everything from exhaust and suspension to steering and transmission, why can't there be a menu option for a little old spoiler , seems like the speed option for it would be easy enough to incorporate into it?

Old 04-13-2016, 08:42 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

The spoiler is the number one reason few people know what our cars are. Only we see the Jaguar name in our rear view mirrors.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was the last reply on the previous thread, which received no further answers. I still havent worked up the nerve to complete this task, but did test it out. This works:

1. Raise and remove spoiler (if you choose). It does not have to be removed, but with it raised, removing it will make access to the tamper proof screws a breeze. If you do remove the spoiler, please note there are spacers that will make it somewhat difficult to realign the body lines/gaps/heights when reinstalling. I would recommend leaving the spoiler attached to the brackets and remove as one unit if you can find some clever tools to access the couple difficult to reach tamper proof screws. The correct size bit and some locking pliers will be okay for the difficult ones. Not raising the spoiler all the way will allow slightly more access as well.

2. Remove plate under spoiler to access motor under plate, unplug motor.

Not allowing the spoiler to be raised completely, I did test forcing the spoiler back down with the motor still plugged in, and it does go down. Although I dont recall if I was able to get it completely flush. Since I was worried how I would ever get the spoiler back up if needed after the motor was unplugged, I was too chicken to unplug it and force the spoiler down.

If anyone else wants to try first, please post results and post if you can pry the spoiler back up if needed.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:42 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 11XKR
I was the last reply on the previous thread, which received no further answers. I still havent worked up the nerve to complete this task, but did test it out. This works:

1. Raise and remove spoiler (if you choose). It does not have to be removed, but with it raised, removing it will make access to the tamper proof screws a breeze. If you do remove the spoiler, please note there are spacers that will make it somewhat difficult to realign the body lines/gaps/heights when reinstalling. I would recommend leaving the spoiler attached to the brackets and remove as one unit if you can find some clever tools to access the couple difficult to reach tamper proof screws. The correct size bit and some locking pliers will be okay for the difficult ones. Not raising the spoiler all the way will allow slightly more access as well.

2. Remove plate under spoiler to access motor under plate, unplug motor.

Not allowing the spoiler to be raised completely, I did test forcing the spoiler back down with the motor still plugged in, and it does go down. Although I dont recall if I was able to get it completely flush. Since I was worried how I would ever get the spoiler back up if needed after the motor was unplugged, I was too chicken to unplug it and force the spoiler down.

If anyone else wants to try first, please post results and post if you can pry the spoiler back up if needed.
Because of the way the Spoiler wraps around and down the back edge of boot lid, once pushed all the way down, there would be a substantial lip to grab hold of to left the Spoiler back up.

Quick Reply: Disabling rear spoiler function...