F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The disaster continues on the F-Type... BUSTED CHAIN FOR OIL PUMP

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 01:19 PM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The disaster continues on the F-Type... BUSTED CHAIN FOR OIL PUMP

Had codes before about the timing being off, and also the fuel pumps having a problem... Well, I had a shop pull the engine and just found out the chain that drives both the fuel pumps and the oil pump LITERALLY SNAPPED.

The engine was run for a short time with no oil pump. The engine might be blown now.

These cars are the biggest piece of **** ever. How a "high performance" car with ~40k miles can have its oil chain snap off is so beyond me.

Buying this car was the biggest money pit ever. Now a new engine will probably cost 15-20k...

Frustrated beyond belief. Oil pan is being pulled today to see if there is shavings in the oil and if the engine is now toast.

Old 03-15-2023, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Clearly, given the litany of problems you have had with this car, it has been both neglected and badly abused. Did you have it assessed/inspected before you bought it? Was there a service history with this car?
I am confused by your statement that the same chain that runs the oil pump and the fuel pumps had broken, yet the engine was able to still run briefly - with no fuel supply?
A miserable story indeed.

The following users liked this post:
George05 (03-16-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 05:20 PM
Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Being direct-injection requires really high fuel pressure, so as soon as the chain broke, fuel pressure drops to zero and the engine instantly quits firing. The only thing that happens is that the engine spins down to zero rpm, with little or no pressure on the bearings. I'm thinking that the engine will be fine.

Old 03-15-2023, 06:16 PM

They think the engine was still able to run because there are three pumps that run the engine, the two high pressure pumps that run the engine normally and the low pressure pump in the tank. They believe the engine was able to barely run due to the low pressure pump still working.

the only silver lining is that there were no oil pressure codes or anything of that nature. I’m not sure if the oil pump is powered all the time and the chain maybe just ruined the high pressure pumps instead.

i will know by tomorrow what they found when they remove the oil pan

Old 03-15-2023, 06:24 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by tolson
These cars are the biggest piece of **** ever.
There are many on here who might disgree with you. Sounds like you've just been very unlucky.

The following 8 users liked this post by scm:
dozerman (03-18-2023), George05 (03-16-2023), GeorgeIII (03-16-2023), Roadstergal (03-15-2023), rsqrd930 (03-20-2023), sov211 (03-15-2023), sundaram (03-17-2023), uncheel (03-16-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-15-2023, 07:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
There are many on here who might disgree with you. Sounds like you've just been very unlucky.
I agree. I have never had any problems with my F-Type. Brought it in the last 4 years for the complimentary oil change and service check. This April, when I bring it in for the same, it will be my first out of pocket expense. I love this car. It is as solid as the day I bought it.

SVR 575 (04-11-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by scm
Yeah tell me about it... Don't get me wrong I love the car looks and power wise.... but reliability gets a -10/10.

I'll be posting some pictures and more details in the days to come of my absolute nightmare.

Old 03-15-2023, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

Your experience is most definitely NOT the norm for these cars (or any Jaguar), which is why I would think that something in the history of this particular car is suspect … neglect or abuse perhaps (not by you but by previous owners). Timing chain breakage, for example, is so rare that it is almost unheard of (but pretty common on some BMWs). What can cause this? Tensioner issues, going too long between oil changes, using cheap oil filters or oil of the wrong type, ignoring early signs of problems…and likely a combination of factors including the way the car was driven.
Has the car had track use? Again, do you have a service history?

Last edited by sov211; 03-16-2023 at 10:55 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by sov211:
George05 (03-16-2023), sundaram (03-17-2023), SVR 575 (04-11-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 04:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Your experience is most definitely NOT the norm for these cars (or any Jaguar), which is why I would that something in the history of this particular car is suspect … neglect or abuse perhaps (not by you but by previous owners). Timing chain breakage, for example, is so rare that it is almost unheard of (but pretty common on some BMWs). What can cause this? Tensioner issues, going too long between oil changes, using cheap oil filters or oil of the wrong type, ignoring early signs of problems…and likely a combination of factors including the way the car was driven.
Has the car had track use? Again, do you have a service history?
In all my years owing various jaguar models from the xk, xj , xkr , ftypev6 and now xjrl I have Never heard of ANY oil pump chain snapping, they are Very reliable cars

Old 03-16-2023, 04:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by George05
In all my years owing various jaguar models from the xk, xj , xkr , ftypev6 and now xjrl I have Never heard of ANY oil pump chain snapping, they are Very reliable cars
Yep, never read or heard of this chain snapping before, something weird and wonderful must have caused it.

George05 (03-16-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Without any info on when the oil changes were done and what oil was used it's hard to say?
Yours is a one of one as I have been on this forum for 10+ years and have never heard of this before.

Yes anything can happen to an engine but this has a back story of some kind we just don't know?

George05 (03-16-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Perhaps the OP, Tolson, could tell us what the service history of this car was? And other factors that might help us understand how this car has had so many problems?

George05 (03-16-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Without any info on when the oil changes were done and what oil was used it's hard to say?
Yours is a one of one as I have been on this forum for 10+ years and have never heard of this before.

Yes anything can happen to an engine but this has a back story of some kind we just don't know?
if it did indeed have any oil changes , sounds like it was trashed on a daily basis

Sparky H (03-17-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 02:53 PM
Received 246 Likes on 130 Posts

The engine was run for a short time with no oil pump. The engine might be blown now.

These cars are the biggest piece of **** ever.
Not sure why you want to trash every F-Type because you run your car without oil.

Perhaps what you mean is that your car is the biggest piece of **** ever.......

Sparky H (03-17-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 03:47 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I feel your pain, I have purchased vehicles for personal and business use that have not been what I bargained for, I purchased a used crane for $150k that within one week busted a piston and I had to rebuild the engine. Thankfully the engine had sleeved cylinders and could be saved.
I have other stories with personal vehicles that I ended up spending a lot more than what the vehicle was even worth to repair due to major issues that showed up a few months after I bought it. Unfortunately at that stage of my life I did not have the money to discard the vehicle, I had to fix it. Fortunately it was not a high-end car and I had the ability to fix it myself with junk yard parts. I hope you are in a better situation than I was, and the money you spent was somewhat expendable and you can repair the car and enjoy it.
What I am trying to point out is that any vehicle can be a money pit. Even with due diligence a vehicle can hide issues that can cost quite a bit to get fixed, vehicle inspection only go so far, and even the best mechanics miss things, we are all human.
I hope you have the ability and determination to repair the car. It will be interesting to find out what caused this problem and if the engine survived it. Please report back. Good Luck

The following 2 users liked this post by colormegone:
NBCat (03-16-2023), Sparky H (03-17-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 10:36 AM
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts

Damn, I feel your pain. Hopefully it's not as bad as it seems.

But as said, the general consensus is that these engines are very robust and reliable. Would be very interesting to hear more about the history of this car because it sounds like someone's been doing some insane stuff to it in the past. This reminds me of the series of videos that a guy posted on youtube after buying some badly mistreated F-Type and having to replace the engine and all sorts of other stuff. There's a separate thread about that somewhere on here.

Anyway I'd say cases like this highlight the importance of doing proper due diligence and preferably buying from an authorized dealer with a warranty when buying an F-Type or any high performance car for that matter.

The following 2 users liked this post by MajorTom:
jcb-memphis (03-18-2023), sov211 (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 02:30 PM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

Had codes before about the timing being off, and also the fuel pumps having a problem... Well, I had a shop pull the engine and just found out the chain that drives both the fuel pumps and the oil pump LITERALLY SNAPPED.

These cars are the biggest piece of **** ever. How a "high performance" car with ~40k miles can have its oil chain snap off is so beyond me.

Buying this car was the biggest money pit ever. Now a new engine will probably cost 15-20k...

Frustrated beyond belief. Oil pan is being pulled today to see if there is shavings in the oil and if the engine is now toast.

Did a google and found a mini cooper thread where a person had a timing chaing tensioner go, and the part "blowing up" let pieces of metal and plastic get into the other parts of the engine and the oil chain went. Only thing I could find. And your timing was off suggesting, to me, that the chain was likely replaced...perhaps an accessory part to it did not get replaced and broke and got into your oil chain....either now or before. It would not be impossible for the issues to be linked. I feel your pain but having timing go off is a big red flag to me for all sorts of issues...You likely need the get the car to a shop that has experience on these engines that is deep and included full rebuilding...then you can get it assessed correctly. Timing being off is a big deal...hope you get this engine sorted affordably. They are not unreliable engines. They are high performance all aluminum engines and don't tolerate non-experts working on them at the chain/internals level.

sov211 (03-18-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

Several days with no update on this extraordinary tale of woe. If all of this really happened, it would be really useful to hear something or preferably everything about the history of this car (which has been requested by several readers) that might explain the situation. Failing that….

Old 03-19-2023, 06:47 PM
Received 246 Likes on 130 Posts

Failing that, we chalk this up to a disgruntled, testy, F- Type owner.....

Old 03-19-2023, 07:11 PM
Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Let’s not shoot the messenger. Poor guy. Could be anyone one of us next week. Of course he is disgruntled. I dare anyone else in his position not to be.

The following 3 users liked this post by Borbor:
89 Jacobra (03-20-2023), dmchao (07-15-2024), Simonusa0 (10-09-2023)

Quick Reply: The disaster continues on the F-Type... BUSTED CHAIN FOR OIL PUMP