Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The disaster continues on the F-Type... BUSTED CHAIN FOR OIL PUMP

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by tolson
I will be charged a $2500 core charge if I don't return the engine, but couldn't I turn the engine in elsewhere and get more than $2500 you think??
Core charges per engine type are pretty standard. i.e. it would be extremely rare to pay any more than a core cost for non-working engine.

Old 04-03-2023, 06:59 PM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

UPDATE:

The vacuum pump seized up, which caused the chain to snap ……I just got the call from the shop they found that out…

another $500 part from jaguar……

like really? The vacuum pumps on these cars fail? What’s next? What could possibly be next? Every single part of this car fails and breaks apparently….

might have my car back by the end of the week…. They said the engine looks decent, but there was dirt in the spark plug holes when it arrived and they had to vacuum it out.

sigh…. This has been an absolute nightmare …hope y’all have plenty of popcorn cause I’m sure there is more to follow…

Old 04-03-2023, 07:29 PM
Received 259 Likes on 131 Posts

UPDATE:

The vacuum pump seized up, which caused the chain to snap ……I just got the call from the shop they found that out…

like really? The vacuum pumps on these cars fail? What’s next? What could possibly be next? Every single part of this car fails and breaks apparently….

might have my car back by the end of the week…. They said the engine looks decent, but there was dirt in the spark plug holes when it arrived and they had to vacuum it out.

sigh…. This has been an absolute nightmare …hope y’all have plenty of popcorn cause I’m sure there is more to follow…

Looked this up as did not know much about this failure mode..found this - just FYI. Before it died was the brake pedal weird?

The following 2 users liked this post by jcb-memphis:
OzXFR (04-03-2023), Valerie Stabenow (04-04-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 09:11 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

UPDATE:

My god man, you deserve a dram of Macallan 25 (Sherry Cask) for the @#$&* you’ve been through.

Stiff upper lip!

Old 04-04-2023, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Thanks again for the update!
Yes the vacuum pump is know to leak oil and/or vacuum but yours is the first one that I have seen that failed mechanically?
It has almost no load on it since it's just a vacuum pump and I was surprised Jaguar bothered to make it mechanically driven? All the other factory vacuum pumps I have dealt with are electric vacuum pumps.

Video shows it all in good detail if just changing the seal's. Note the video missed that there is a small O-ring on the vacuum line going to the brake booster. They do show how to remove the vacuum line but they were not clear if that vacuum line O-ring is included with their kit??
That O-ring has failed and been reported several times.

Old 04-04-2023, 10:02 AM
Received 314 Likes on 203 Posts
Default RKX!

Probably one of the best DIY videos I've seen. Hope I never need to do this, but if it comes about, really good resource.

So what are the symptoms... if any... of this pump failing? starting to fail??

Old 04-04-2023, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
Probably one of the best DIY videos I've seen. Hope I never need to do this, but if it comes about, really good resource.

So what are the symptoms... if any... of this pump failing? starting to fail??
There was absolutely zero warning or symptoms that I noticed, no noises, no changes in braking…That’s the scary part. It was sudden and dramatic.

Old 04-07-2023, 03:40 PM

UPDATE: Engine was installed and was ran for less than 2 minutes and the car blows white smoke everywhere. Then started misfiring.

There was coolant everywhere... The thermostat housing blew up.... yet another part from jaguar that had to be ordered.

The guy who sells the engines said they most likely didn't vacuum the cooling system out like you are suppose to, and possibly did an old school method which doesn't work on the car.

I want to say this is all a ****ing joke but it isn't.... I'm starting to think the shop might be slightly incompetent.... Was going to pick the car up today but now that's not happening. Whats worse is they are extremely hard to get ahold of, and I always get voicemail lmao. Got to love it.

Old 04-07-2023, 04:35 PM

While it IS possible the shop is lacking.. one reason for always getting voicemail is that they just don't have the staff to answer phones. My nephew owns an upscale BMW upgrading shop in Geneva, Il and they just have 3 people working... they put the phone on an answering machine and then just check it, mid morning, lunch or mid afternoon. They return calls at the end of the day. Their goal is to finish a customer's job and they don't make any money on the phone. The british shop I worked in was the same. However, if you got voice mail, that was the what was explained in the outgoing message... "if you don't get us, we are working on customer cars...." If we were doing some labor intensive job that required focus, it was better to stay on it.

This is so bad to read. I hope you are able to work things out with the shop. Thank you for keeping us in the loop on what is happening. Sending positive thoughts your way!

Old 04-07-2023, 07:39 PM

UPDATE: Car is all done and put back together.. They most definitely probably screwed up the cooling system by not properly vacuuming the lines out and purging the system properly... the new housing is in place...The car was test drove and no codes or anything was popping up, everything should be good.

The reason why all this is happening...... More than likely the car overheated prior to me purchasing it... when I bought it I was told the entire cooling system was replaced.... its all starting to make sense now.......

The vacuum pump failed because more than likely coolant backed up into the pump when it overheated prior to me purchasing the car.... it was a ticking time bomb and thats why the previous owner got rid of it.... it all makes so much sense now.....

I will be picking it up tomorrow and I'll probably post a couple videos of it running and the new engine.... finally get my car back I'm so happy I can get it finally!!!!

The following 7 users liked this post by tolson:
DJS (04-07-2023), scm (04-08-2023), sov211 (04-08-2023), SVR 575 (04-11-2023), V7Sport (04-07-2023), Valerie Stabenow (04-08-2023), WayneB (04-07-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-07-2023, 11:11 PM
Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Man, sorry to read about your whole ordeal. Definitely sucks overall and terrible from the seller’s part. I hope you can now fully enjoy the car after all of this.

Old 04-08-2023, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

[QUOTE=tolson;2630746]UPDATE:

The reason why all this is happening...... More than likely the car overheated prior to me purchasing it... when I bought it I was told the entire cooling system was replaced.... its all starting to make sense now.......

The vacuum pump failed because more than likely coolant backed up into the pump when it overheated prior to me purchasing the car.... it was a ticking time bomb and thats why the previous owner got rid of it.... it all makes so much sense now.....
/QUOTE]

Yes, this is all starting to make sense - some of us suspected that it was previous damage of some sort that was the beginning of this sorry tale - a tale of failed components that have not previously been reported to fail.

I am very happy to read that the engine is (or seems to be) operating properly. Thanks for reporting the outcome.

The following users liked this post:
TAPA310 (04-18-2023)
Old 04-08-2023, 10:06 AM

Really great news! for you as well as the car! Hope the shop made the vacuuming issue right. Here's to many wonderful miles driven! Thank you for keeping us informed... someone else may have this issue and good to know where to look.

Old 04-08-2023, 10:03 PM

some shavings in the oil first oil change but I was told that is common for a bore. The oil change was at 120 miles on the brand new engine see attached picture.

picture of my chain snapped off…new engine has a much bigger chain … I will be taking the vacuum pump apart and send pics so you can see the damage. Also have my thermostat housing where you can see damage too. Cheap *** plastic is terrible.

picture of my original engine that is toast … ugh … sending it in for a core charge

have a short video of the car running finally at 170 😭miles now…

praying to god that I make it to 1000 miles where I was told I could then give it full throttle … break in procedure is a bitch … hard not going above 4k rpm’s lol

The following 2 users liked this post by tolson:
DMeister (04-09-2023), TAPA310 (04-18-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 11:03 AM

You have been through literal hell and back, so as much as you want to see what this car will do.... RESIST! Its future health and performance depend on a proper breakin.. and maybe an extra 500 miles just to be sure... slow, some fast, up hills, down hills, upshifts, downshifts... and maybe another oil change with analysis at the end of that???

The following 2 users liked this post by Valerie Stabenow:
sov211 (04-09-2023), SVR 575 (04-11-2023)
Old 04-09-2023, 02:07 PM
Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

some shavings in the oil first oil change but I was told that is common for a bore. The oil change was at 120 miles on the brand new engine see attached picture.

picture of my chain snapped off…new engine has a much bigger chain … I will be taking the vacuum pump apart and send pics so you can see the damage. Also have my thermostat housing where you can see damage too. Cheap *** plastic is terrible.

picture of my original engine that is toast … ugh … sending it in for a core charge

have a short video of the car running finally at 170 😭miles now… https://youtube.com/shorts/sz9nliLvreo?feature=share

praying to god that I make it to 1000 miles where I was told I could then give it full throttle … break in procedure is a bitch … hard not going above 4k rpm’s lol

All the best dude. No doubt quite stressful and disappointing. Lookin' good!

Old 04-09-2023, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,061 Likes on 852 Posts

Engine replacement is due every 65k on these, 30k for the severe service interval. Always replace your engine on time. If you go too long on one engine it will break on the road and you have to pay a tow truck

Last edited by xalty; 04-09-2023 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-09-2023, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,261 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Originally Posted by xalty
Engine replacement is due every 65k on these, 30k for the severe service interval. Always replace your engine on time. If you go too long on one engine it will break on the road and you have to pay a tow truck
While most of us appreciate the humour in this, you do know that some will actually think you are being serious, right?

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
89 Jacobra (04-10-2023), scm (04-10-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,061 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
While most of us appreciate the humour in this, you do know that some will actually think you are being serious, right?
i’m dead serious. i love the smell of burnt dexcool it means i’m eating steak dinner on friday 😎

Last edited by xalty; 04-11-2023 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-11-2023, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

Not saying he is correct but just how many (percent) of F-types have exceeded 65K miles?
And what major upsets did they encounter along the way?
Survey time??

Quick Reply: The disaster continues on the F-Type... BUSTED CHAIN FOR OIL PUMP