F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disconnecting Battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 06:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Disconnecting Battery

Are there any clear instructions on here on how to disconnect the battery? My car won't go to "sleep" after I plugged in an OBD2 scanner so I need to disconnect the battery.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Three pages about "Vehicle Battery" in the Owner Handbook but they are all about safety/warnings and how to connect and disconnect jumper leads or charging leads.
All it says about disconnecting the battery itself is this extremely unhelpful text:
"REPLACING THE VEHICLE BATTERY
Battery disconnection, removal, and
replacement, should only be carried out
by qualified personnel. Consult your
Dealer/Authorised Repairer."

The Workshop Manual has a page on disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, see attached.
Put simply, when disconnecting the battery undo and disconnect the ground cable first (it runs from the negative terminal to an earthing point) and then disconnect the positive lead, then reverse this when reconnecting the battery - positive lead on first, earth lead on last. Obviously when disconnecting the battery make sure the engine and ignition are OFF!
Then after reconnecting the battery cables idle the car for two minutes to allow the ECM (Engine Control Module) to relearn the idle values, then put it in D with foot on the brake and idle for another two minutes, then drive for 5 miles / 8 km of varied driving to complete the ECM learning process.

I'm not entirely sure all this foo-fora is necessary, I have disconnected the battery a few times now by doing nothing more than undoing the earth lead connection at the earthing point and never had a single problem with anything.

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
Paul_59 (09-25-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 07:59 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Right, you don’t need to take both off if you’re not replacing the battery. I just disconnected mine to be extra safe while replacing a headlight bulb. Expect lots of sparks!

Old 03-08-2020, 05:23 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

What happens if the EPB is applied while changing the battery?

Old 03-08-2020, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bill W
What happens if the EPB is applied while changing the battery?
Probably nothing but I suppose it is possible the EPB will "lock up" and not release once you connect the new battery up.

Old 03-08-2020, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Probably nothing but I suppose it is possible the EPB will "lock up" and not release once you connect the new battery up.
I never knew this was a possible issue. I've disconnected the battery dozens of times with no issue other than losing the central instrument settings and occasionally having to reprogram the auto window-up.

Old 03-08-2020, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I never knew this was a possible issue. I've disconnected the battery dozens of times with no issue other than losing the central instrument settings and occasionally having to reprogram the auto window-up.
Based on your experience I would say it is not a problem!

Old 03-08-2020, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Based on your experience I would say it is not a problem!
I haven't done as many "resets" as Lance but I never once even considered the EPB when doing so and never had any issues with it. I too have had to reset the windows, and that's something that can be frustrating. Once you get the proper incantation though it works every time. I can't remember the details, but they're quite specific.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I haven't done as many "resets" as Lance but I never once even considered the EPB when doing so and never had any issues with it. I too have had to reset the windows, and that's something that can be frustrating. Once you get the proper incantation though it works every time. I can't remember the details, but they're quite specific.
The specific detail for resetting the window one touch up/down is it only works while the car is in motion.
At least that is how it has been for me every single time!

Old 03-08-2020, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

The specific detail for resetting the window one touch up/down is it only works while the car is in motion.
At least that is how it has been for me every single time!
My recollection is that ignition on doesn't work, but on and engine running does. Lemme check my notes ...

Hmmm. My notes don't include the proper incantation. It's here on the forum somewhere. It seems I didn't update my notes after the "why doesn't this work!" episode.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

My recollection is that ignition on doesn't work, but on and engine running does. Lemme check my notes ...

Hmmm. My notes don't include the proper incantation. It's here on the forum somewhere. It seems I didn't update my notes after the "why doesn't this work!" episode.
This is what the Owner Manual/Handbook says:

"WINDOW RESET
The windows will need to be reset if the battery is disconnected, becomes discharged, or the power supply is interrupted.
Once the power supply is restored, reset the windows as follows:
1. Close the window fully.
2. Release the switch, then lift it to the close
position and hold for 2 seconds.
3. Open the window fully.
4. Release the switch, then push it to the open
position and hold for 2 seconds.
5. Lift and release the switch to operate the
one-touch function.
6. Repeat the procedure on each window."

Some have found this works with just the ignition on, others have found that it only works with the engine started but the car not moving, but I have found every single time (at least four times now) that it only works while the car is moving (ie I am driving).

Old 03-08-2020, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

In the case of my car, I can confirm that ignition-on only does not allow the window reset. The engine has to be running, but it doesn’t matter whether the car is moving or not.

Old 03-08-2020, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Some have found this works with just the ignition on, others have found that it only works with the engine started but the car not moving, but I have found every single time (at least four times now) that it only works while the car is moving (ie I am driving).
Interesting, but we're not covering all possible permutations. The missing data point in your experimentation is whether it has to be *you* driving. Next time, have a different driver try the procedure.

This is important. The community awaits your report (probably at the bar).

Bbeck1118 (01-21-2022)
Old 03-08-2020, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting, but we're not covering all possible permutations. The missing data point in your experimentation is whether it has to be *you* driving. Next time, have a different driver try the procedure.

This is important. The community awaits your report (probably at the bar).
OK, next time I disconnect the battery I will delay the window reset until SWMBO is driving, and instruct her to follow the procedure. She drives it once every two months or so and no-one else has ever driven my car or likely ever will, so we could be waiting a while for an answer!
Even then she is odds on to tell me where I can stick my instructions and say "you can't possibly expect me to do that while I am driving, it's already hard enough to keep this car under control even at 20 km/h under the posted limit."

Last edited by OzXFR; 03-09-2020 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:48 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I thought due to the Coriolis effect, Oz should run the procedure while reversing?

Carbuff2 (03-09-2020)