F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discounts on 18MY Ftype order?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 02:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discounts on 18MY Ftype order?

I'm looking at ordering a MY18 car that configures out at 76K MSRP. I called a couple dealers in the Northwest and they were happy to place an order but said they couldn't offer any discounts and they couldn't actually confirm the pricing (despite the fact that I sent them the NADAguide link). Does this sound right? Am I SOL or should I choose another strategy like offering $3K offer MSRP and ask them to take it to the GSM?

I'd really like to get into a facelifted 18 but I've never paid MSRP in my life and really don't want to start now.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

I'm on my second custom ordered jag and the discount has never been much more than 2-3%.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
I'm on my second custom ordered jag and the discount has never been much more than 2-3%.
Depends on dealer. My custom order discount was 5% plus the $2500 JCNA incentive.

Old 05-14-2017, 10:18 AM

Thanks guys. Yeah, I wonder if dealers are just full of themselves with moderately strong sales numbers and a minor refresh. Based on other threads, it seems like the best bet is to just contact a bunch of dealer to find one that's dealing with reality. I can also wait - this is something I want but don't need as I could go with a gently used R or an the new Audi S5 for more utility (not as beautiful, but I can fit the family).

Old 05-14-2017, 03:34 PM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never purchased a Jag before so my view might be slightly skewed. My experience when trying to buy a 2017 S at the local dealer was less than stellar. He offered $2500 off a $90k car which I found to be a joke. My take on this is that the Jag dealers are OK with inventory sitting on the lot for months or even years and then make big bucks when they do make a sale.

This is very different from my BMW dealer. When I bought my last custom ordered car there I googled for the invoice price of car and options. I added $1000 in dealer profit and made my offer. Not only was my offer accepted the dealer pointed out that I had the incorrect price on one of the options where I was $200 higher than actual cost. I wish my Jag dealer had this kind of integrity.

-m

Old 05-14-2017, 04:59 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

You can't throw all the dealers in the same boat. Many here have had good experiences, and I've met good dealers, though I wouldn't categorize mine as one of them.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

I'd suggest you shop around. You shouldn't have a lot of trouble getting a discount on a F-Type. While dealers would love to move their leftover MY17's, there's no easier money than putting a customer's name on the next factory order and getting cash in hand before they even have to pay off JLR.

Even on our F-Pace, which we ordered a year ago when they were just coming out and supply was scarce. I got just over 4% off, plus some early order incentives from JLR ($1,800). Not every dealer was flexible, but the one that was got my business. As a side note, since pricing was potentially in flux, my negotiation was $'s against MSRP, so the dealer was covered on his end.

The JCNA discount Unhingd mentioned is another potential savings, but it does require that you are a member for at least 6 months prior to delivery, and the model you're buying needs to be included in the current promotion. F-Type currently is included and should continue.

Last edited by uncheel; 05-17-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:18 PM

Great points. Given this is a car I want but don't really need, I'll just offer dealers 4% off MSRP and they can take it or leave it. They (the auto industry) invented this variable pricing game, not me. Almost can't wait until the economy takes a dive and their tune changes.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:00 AM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

I am also looking at an upgrade to the 2018 -- was able to negotiate 5% off plus any incentives offered (at the time of delivery) by Jaguar.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:37 AM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
The JCNA discount Unhingd mentioned is another potential savings, but it does require that you are a member for at least 6 months prior to delivery, and the model you're buying needs to be included in the current promotion. F-Type currently is included and should continue.
When I purchased my first F-type in 2016, my dealer said that Canadians weren't eligible for the JCNA discount. This was before they set up the automated PIN code process that seems to be in place now. The 6 month rule doesn't seem to be stated on the JCNA terms for the program?:

PRIVATE OFFER PROGRAM EXTENDED AGAIN!! | Jaguar Clubs of North America

Anyone know if the 6 month rule is still in place and/or enforced? Also, not sure if the 2018 F-types are included in the discount program -- they aren't listed in the link noted above.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:22 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

"Doed this sound right?" No. Look at the thread where a poster is at a .179% discount and is looking for more, albeit on existing inventory. The F is a niche product with an extremely low sales volume. The F is a buyers market despite whatever BS the dealers throw around. Start calling around the country focusing on the places with the worst economies. You will find a ***** who will do the deal. Shipping is cheap. Go in with the lowest number you can force yourself to mutter. If you go in at 4% they will take you for a mark and just walk you up.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:57 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Try TrueCar. When I bought my F-type, I ordered it just like I wanted, plugged it in to TrueCar and a dealer in Greenville, SC called me in 15 minutes. The price was $6500 less than my local dealer. I then got my JCNA discount on top of that, so all in I was $9000 below MSRP.

The following users liked this post:
spindoc (07-03-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 10:23 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Right on

Enzo, drbills post is well worth focusing on. $9K off list has to be a lot more than 4%, probably closer to 10%. Many Jaguar dealers are in high income areas and sell expensive cars to rich people who have never sullied themselves by asking for a discount. Look at that .179 number. That is on a car that has been accumulating finance charges sitting on the floor. Why should doing a simple order and filling out some paperwork move the deal into the 4% range. But there are some hungry dealers in less affluent communities who will strike a decent deal to sell a car. Up to you.