F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

discovering a recall etc..

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 08:29 AM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default discovering a recall etc..

I took my car to the shop to try and resolve my TPMS problems and at the same time find out what the 'free jaguar upgrade' was.
While in the shop I discovered the recall on a hose that has to be replaced and that will involve a significant amount of work in my model. I received no recall notice from Jaguar.
I find this disappointing. I understand the need to issue recalls, it is natural that unexpected problems will arise in relatively new cars and effort on the part of the company to fix things is good. Keeping quiet is not.
Serendipity allowed me to learn of this before the hose failed. I further lucked out in being able to stop the 'courtesy wash' before it started when I was told that my car would be ready as 'soon as it was washed' - a pity that I was not asked beforehand if I wanted it or not, but all was well.
Finally, I lucked out in seeing a new SVR convertible in the showroom - what a beautiful car - I would not have turned it down.

p.s. the Blizzak LM32s have been awesome - today was 16F (-9C) and there was a dusting of snow in patches - I was able to keep the dynamic mode on and have fun on the quiet early morning roads

Old 03-04-2017, 09:18 AM
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Whats up with your TPMS?

Old 03-04-2017, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by AbyJag
I understand the need to issue recalls, it is natural that unexpected problems will arise in relatively new cars and effort on the part of the company to fix things is good. Keeping quiet is not.
They are probably working on the theory that since it is an issue that does not pose an eminent threat, they can get it resolved during a scheduled service or when the car is in for other repairs. The hose that was replaced is a hose off a fuel vapor canister. Had it failed, the only result would have been mild fuel smell in the cabin. No catastrophic potential. K410 is a 1.4 hour scheduled repair and involves removing interior panels to access it. They replaced mine without warning when I had it in for another issue. Given the potential for creating rattles, I would have declined the TSB. Fortunately, no rattles materialized afterwards. It is strange, though, that most of us found out about K410 on the forum long before Jag took action.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:52 AM

It's the same problem as others have had of new OEM TPMS monitors not meshing with the car. I thought that Jaguar could use a sensor to determine the problem but I was told they needed to take the tires off and physically look at the TPMS monitors to get their serial number before determining the fix. I was then told the wheels would need remounted and re-balanced.
Apparently the TPMS serial numbers are not trackable - not sure how that is possible in this day and age - but I can live without it and will soon put my summers back on.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

While in the shop I discovered the recall on a hose that has to be replaced and that will involve a significant amount of work in my model. I received no recall notice from Jaguar.
I find this disappointing. I understand the need to issue recalls, it is natural that unexpected problems will arise in relatively new cars and effort on the part of the company to fix things is good. Keeping quiet is not.

Is this an actual recall or just a TSB--- Technical Service Bulletin?

Two different things that are handled differently

Cheers

DD

Old 03-04-2017, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
They are probably working on the theory that since it is an issue that does not pose an eminent threat, they can get it resolved during a scheduled service or when the car is in for other repairs. The hose that was replaced is a hose off a fuel vapor canister. Had it failed, the only result would have been mild fuel smell in the cabin. No catastrophic potential. K410 is a 1.4 hour scheduled repair and involves removing interior panels to access it. They replaced mine without warning when I had it in for another issue. Given the potential for creating rattles, I would have declined the TSB. Fortunately, no rattles materialized afterwards. It is strange, though, that most of us found out about K410 on the forum long before Jag took action.
Interesting, they told me this was an all day job on my model and would require a loaner. I would have thought they would rather have me sit in the wait room for a couple of hours

The following users liked this post:
Doug (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
. They replaced mine without warning when I had it in for another issue. Given the potential for creating rattles, I would have declined the TSB. .

If we were to dig into Jaguar Policy and Procedure Manuals, and franchise agreements, and even state laws, we'd probably find that any work done requires prior permission from the owner.

When it comes to actual recalls the dealers are always under pressure, of varying degrees, to complete as many recalls as possible. A dealer with a poor completion rate can be called on the carpet. In some cases failure to complete a recall can have serious consequences for a dealer. Thus, there's usually a push to get 'em done and the "ask permission" step is often overlooked.

TSBs are another matter...more variables, much less cut-n-dry, sometimes treated almost like a recall or a hidden warranty, sometimes involving tacit approvals (or disapprovals) from on high. But, still, the dealer should get permission from the customer first.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-04-2017, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting, they told me this was an all day job on my model and would require a loaner. I would have thought they would rather have me sit in the wait room for a couple of hours

You sitting and waiting puts them under pressure to get the job done right away. Keeping your car all day, with you going about your business in a loaner, allows them more flexibility to work your car into their daily schedule at their convenience

Cheers
DD