F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discussed to Death

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 08:55 AM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Prophizee
i understand the GT-R is obviously a lot more popular platform for modding enthusiast, but I wouldn't think the ECU of the Jag would be more difficult to crack then the gtr. I wonder if a tuner could chime in and tell us the complications of adding a launch procedure to a car.
I hadn't thought much about it till you posted this...

If the software is in one model, it should be available to xerox.

That said, I'd think there is a good reason they didn't do it. I could have sworn someone on another thread posted of drivetrain damage on the V8, but not 100%

Old 03-16-2017, 09:03 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,112 Likes on 1,410 Posts

This document indicates that all Dynamic Launch does is to not reduce engine torque during shifts.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wskjex70o2...ntrol.pdf?dl=0

I suspect it also starts in 1st, where the transmission normally starts in 2nd, unless you're using the paddles. Don't recall if dynamic and/or sport will use 1st from a standstill.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:44 AM
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyAir
I hadn't thought much about it till you posted this...

That said, I'd think there is a good reason they didn't do it. I could have sworn someone on another thread posted of drivetrain damage on the V8, but not 100%
Yeah thats what I was thinking. It might be as simple as coding to make the function available for us to use. Maybe Stu from VAP can commit on this.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Prophizee
i understand the GT-R is obviously a lot more popular platform for modding enthusiast, but I wouldn't think the ECU of the Jag would be more difficult to crack then the gtr. I wonder if a tuner could chime in and tell us the complications of adding a launch procedure to a car.
The manufacturer along with the supplier of the ECU decides how difficult or easy it is to get into the system. Subaru for example is fully unlocked, because they know a big part of their market buys the car to modify. FCA vehicles however are basically fully locked down, almost no one can tune them without a full stand alone ECU. This is why you don't see any majorly modified hellcats running around.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyAir
Thats unfortunately not how this works. The software is immensely complicated and you can't easily stitch something like that over. Launch control usually requires integration with other modules that must be changed to match and properly integrate the function. So now you go from rewriting software for the engine controller in a normal performance tune, to rewriting engine controller software, transmission controller software, body controller software and potentially even more modules that each have to be talked to and decoded different. It's extremely complicated when a manufacturer locks things down even a little.

The following users liked this post:
DirtyAir (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I thought the launch control raised the stall speed on the torque converter. If so, the v8 could possibly burn out the converter.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:31 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

I thought it did too, but that JLR document makes no mention of that.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:42 PM

Tuning every control module would def be tricky. But what if a tuner did an arcahic launch. Where driver can set rpms for the launch. I mean in general all launch control is holding the revs at a certain Rpm and dumping the clutch and break. Couldn't a tuner put a mode where the car does not actual calculations just let you mash on the throttle to whatever Rpm is required release the break so clutch engages and launches the car. It wouldn't be the best launch but then some driver skill would b involved in thinking what the perfect Rpm to let go would be. Again could be complete wrong and over the top

Old 03-16-2017, 03:58 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

There's no clutch to dump, unless you have a manual. In my brother's Z4 with DCT, launch control is a bit disconcerting, because it manages the throttle too along with the clutch. In the V6S, you're fighting the brakes, and I'm reluctant to rev it very far as that can't be good for the torque converter.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
There's no clutch to dump, unless you have a manual. In my brother's Z4 with DCT, launch control is a bit disconcerting, because it manages the throttle too along with the clutch. In the V6S, you're fighting the brakes, and I'm reluctant to rev it very far as that can't be good for the torque converter.
Duhhh omg completely​ forgot when writing that we don't have a dct. Hahahaha

Old 03-17-2017, 07:20 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I hired a V6s before I bought my V8s and it had launch control, it was complicated to find it and figure it all out and felt no different than just planting your foot down from a standing start. (any one from Avis reading this, I sympathetically eased it off the line)