F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Change door handle honks - 1st world problems.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 07:56 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Piezzo connection to plug

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
Thanks a bunch for this DIY - literally every passenger I've taken in my car has triggered the ear piercing honk. One time I did it in the garage on accident and the reverberation scared the crap out of me, lol. Just something that had to go.

Here's some pics and a sound clip that will hopefully help someone else who found this thread through search:

The silver round piece below the red connectors is the original horn. The red connectors are terminal spade connectors that I have folded over to plug into the socket. You can see the white twisty tie above it where I've attached the Piezu buzzer (temporary, couldn't find my zip ties).

Check out the resulting sound: https://youtu.be/NEJ-1qNw0yw

Still a little loud for me so I might insulate the buzzer a little more.
T A P A R: I am a colorblind electrical idiot! Could you please post a pic of the "terminal spade connector...folded over"?? Tryin to figure out how to connect my new 82 cent buzzer!!! How does one determine polarity as I couild not find any indicator(s)....Sparky, "Free advice on any subject"

Old 12-01-2020, 04:36 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Is a buzzer sensitive to polarity?

Old 12-01-2020, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparky H
T A P A R: I am a colorblind electrical idiot! Could you please post a pic of the "terminal spade connector...folded over"?? Tryin to figure out how to connect my new 82 cent buzzer!!! How does one determine polarity as I couild not find any indicator(s)....Sparky, "Free advice on any subject"
Originally Posted by scm
Is a buzzer sensitive to polarity?
I cannot see my plug any longer, but it is not like a diode, and I do not think it would damage with either polarity...Just may not beep. I just did this mod myself, as I had removed that horn all together for my Water-Methanol pump. Then I saw this and decided to put a beeper in its place. Good easy mod. I just wired it and pressed the door handle with the hood still opened, and it beeped. If it does not beep, switch the two wires around.

I should have taken pics!

Good luck,
DC

Old 12-01-2020, 11:26 PM
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

Sparky,

The spade connector is this:

Imagine taking the two prongs and folding them on top of each other with some pliers to double the thickness. That's what I did. It's still not the most solid connection but more solid than just jamming the wires in there. I also wrapped the plug and this connector in electrical tape to keep the joint together.

To determine polarity, I stuck the the multimeter probes in and measured the voltage. I can't remember if this worked or not, or if I just resorted to plan B and did what Therock88 said and flipped the polarity until it made noise.

The following users liked this post:
Sparky H (12-02-2020)