F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Oil Change for an S Model

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 07:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking DIY Oil Change for an S Model

So I want to be able to change my own oil in my 2017 S-AWD. I have a lift in my garage and have done maintenance for all my cars, but this one has me stymied. Is there anywhere I can find a step by step instruction for changing my own oil and filter? There HAS to be something, somewhere. Can any of you point me in the right direction?

I'm sure that there is a drain plug hidden by one of the plastic panels under the engine, but I've also heard that the filter is not a standard spin on but an old cartridge model. Really? Please, please tell me it aint so!
I want to utilize Mobil 1 for the oil and want to change it way more often than needed, but I've been tracking the car and want to make sure she has fresh oil all the time..

Any help, suggestions, thoughts, ideas, and other ideas are welcome!

Thanks!

Old 10-01-2020, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Speeds
So I want to be able to change my own oil in my 2017 S-AWD. I have a lift in my garage and have done maintenance for all my cars, but this one has me stymied. Is there anywhere I can find a step by step instruction for changing my own oil and filter? There HAS to be something, somewhere. Can any of you point me in the right direction?

I'm sure that there is a drain plug hidden by one of the plastic panels under the engine, but I've also heard that the filter is not a standard spin on but an old cartridge model. Really? Please, please tell me it aint so!
I want to utilize Mobil 1 for the oil and want to change it way more often than needed, but I've been tracking the car and want to make sure she has fresh oil all the time..

Any help, suggestions, thoughts, ideas, and other ideas are welcome!

Thanks!
Try the Forum Search Engine. There have been many discussions on Oil and Changes. This one for example:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ge-diy-201707/

DC

Old 10-01-2020, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Yes, it is a cartridge filter, easily accessed because it is at the top of the engine. No need to look for a drain plug (there is one but accessing it is a pain because you have to remove the shield under the engine - held by 4,362 bolts and screws). The dealer way and the DIY way: you suck the oil out of the sump using a suction pump canister designed for that purpose - easy and clean. The suctioning is done at the oil filler cap; remove it and you will see a pipe opening. You fit the suction device tube over this opening and start the process. The oil will be removed in a few minutes. The oil filter canister is unscrewed and the used filter element is removed (all of this from the top). Clean inside the canister if you want (or not), put the new filter element in place with its new 0 ring, fill the engine with the correct oil (5w20 or 0w20 if you use the car in winter), and the oil advised for this car is the Castrol Edge Professional - the last word is the operative word - this is available from Jaguar dealers and sometimes other sources. Normal Castrol Edge does not meet the specifications for this engine, but there are other oils which do and there is information on that in other threads.