Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Video: Increasing Supercharger Whine with Aftermarket Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 09:56 AM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default DIY Video: Increasing Supercharger Whine with Aftermarket Intakes

Hi guys,

I made a DIY YouTube video of how to instal an intake system for our cars. It has before and after clips of the supercharger whine. Hope it helps if you are on the fence!

Link to the video;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEqG...ature=youtu.be

Link to the kit I purchased:
https://www.ywmotorsports.com/produc...8-lower-intake

The following 5 users liked this post by conbrash:
djyankees31 (12-24-2019), Luc Lapierre (12-26-2019), OzXFR (12-24-2019), SilverArrow2017 (01-27-2020), Therock88 (01-06-2020)
Old 12-24-2019, 03:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for this! I bought it a couple weeks ago and have yet to install it on the v6 and it’s costs a fraction of the other intakes.

Old 12-24-2019, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by justanurse
Thanks for this! I bought it a couple weeks ago and have yet to install it on the v6 and it’s costs a fraction of the other intakes.
Interested!
I'm normally a DIY guy but some of the installation steps in the video above look a little fiddly for someone of my limited dexterity, if you DIY please report back on how easy or difficult it is, and if you get a shop to do it please advise cost.
Also the linked ywmotorsports page says nothing at all about OS shipping.

Old 12-24-2019, 03:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Interested!
I'm normally a DIY guy but some of the installation steps in the video above look a little fiddly for someone of my limited dexterity, if you DIY please report back on how easy or difficult it is, and if you get a shop to do it please advise cost.
Also the linked ywmotorsports page says nothing at all about OS shipping.
will do, I don’t know I might have to do some custom stuff too because I bought it for the v6 knowing they only had a v8 one available but both the systems looked similar so ill have to just try, I’ll get it done some how. The video for the v8 is definitely helpful though too, I know I saw it in the past but I prefer not to work on my actual jacks and instead have the car on jack stands so where would I jack the car up and place the jacks stands, I saw a thread before but if I recall people were fuzzy on whether or not the diagram was for a f type of xf.

Old 12-24-2019, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by justanurse
will do, I don’t know I might have to do some custom stuff too because I bought it for the v6 knowing they only had a v8 one available but both the systems looked similar so ill have to just try, I’ll get it done some how. The video for the v8 is definitely helpful though too, I know I saw it in the past but I prefer not to work on my actual jacks and instead have the car on jack stands so where would I jack the car up and place the jacks stands, I saw a thread before but if I recall people were fuzzy on whether or not the diagram was for a f type of xf.
Yep, when I went onto their site just now it showed "V6 version not available". It's hard to tell if there really is only one version which fits both the V8 and V6 or there are two separate versions, I have read elsewhere that the OEM connecting tube diameters are different with the V8 being slightly wider than the V6 so if that is true there would have to be two different versions of this kit.
I don't have any problem getting the front end of the car up in the air and safely with trolley jacks and axle stands, I have done it dozens of times.
And yes, the jacking points / axle stand points shown in the F-Type Owner's Handbook and in the Workshop Manual are dead wrong, they are XF (possibly XJ) diagrams.
The F-Type jacking points are easy to find but the axle stand points are not so obvious, first time around you need to jack the car up then look/poke around underneath to find the best axle stand points. I have found that the best axle stand points are right next to the jacking points with the axle stand snugged up as close as you can get it to the trolley jack.

The following users liked this post:
justanurse (12-24-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 07:09 AM
Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

Installed a few of these. Good product with great support. can't go wrong with it and you can for sure hear the whine.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, when I went onto their site just now it showed "V6 version not available". It's hard to tell if there really is only one version which fits both the V8 and V6 or there are two separate versions, I have read elsewhere that the OEM connecting tube diameters are different with the V8 being slightly wider than the V6 so if that is true there would have to be two different versions of this kit.
I don't have any problem getting the front end of the car up in the air and safely with trolley jacks and axle stands, I have done it dozens of times.
And yes, the jacking points / axle stand points shown in the F-Type Owner's Handbook and in the Workshop Manual are dead wrong, they are XF (possibly XJ) diagrams.
The F-Type jacking points are easy to find but the axle stand points are not so obvious, first time around you need to jack the car up then look/poke around underneath to find the best axle stand points. I have found that the best axle stand points are right next to the jacking points with the axle stand snugged up as close as you can get it to the trolley jack.
You are correct the OEM tubing is a different size, if you reach out to Yellow Wolf he can get you setup, i have put this on a V6 with his help in the past.

Unhingd (12-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 10:16 AM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Metal intake tubes are nice from a quality perspective, but be careful of any performance claims since cold and hot performance often makes the difference between +10HP and -10HP. If you are just looking for sound then heat soak is not an issue.

Old 12-26-2019, 03:56 PM
Received 119 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey all! I'm not an official vendor on this forum and I'm a small operation, thus I'm not sure if I'm permitted to post about this kit here, so if you'd like more information go ahead and join the Facebook page and I'll do my best to answer any questions and generate discussion there.

Old 12-27-2019, 12:00 AM
Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

Lower duct in your car

hello, thanks for sharing the DIY and the video! My question is can you post pics of the lower duct remover “the silencer” and In your opinion can it be gutted?
I just got K&N air filters which I plan to install in the next couple of days. But would like to know before hand what’s inside those two lower ducts? And if I gut them out, will I achieve the same effect with noticeable SC whine.

Last edited by Tp10XKR; 12-27-2019 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just purchased and am looking forward to the install when the kit comes next Monday 12/29. I am only doing it for the sounds, not HP gain. This will be the first mod on the R.

frostysauce (12-28-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tp10XKR

Lower duct in your car

hello, thanks for sharing the DIY and the video! My question is can you post pics of the lower duct remover “the silencer” and In your opinion can it be gutted?
I just got K&N air filters which I plan to install in the next couple of days. But would like to know before hand what’s inside those two lower ducts? And if I gut them out, will I achieve the same effect with noticeable SC whine.

Hi,

Unfortunately it cannot be gutted, It is not like an exhaust downpipe where the inner portion is "filled" with metal. The intake silencer is hollow, but has baffles within it. The design of the intake silencer is similar motorcycle baffles/mufflers. Hope that makes sense.

Old 12-27-2019, 02:12 PM

^^^he is correct...you can't do much with the inside of the tube, the center is hollow and the "baffles" are built into the sides of the tube at the wide part.

Old 12-27-2019, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy
^^^he is correct...you can't do much with the inside of the tube, the center is hollow and the "baffles" are built into the sides of the tube at the wide part.
Perhaps inserting a metal sleeve could disable the silencing effect.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:50 PM
Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Better yet have a straight tube fabricated the same size and bends with the mounting tab to replace those parts. Would it be cost effective and create the same effect (more SC noise) with free flow filters ??

Old 12-28-2019, 05:58 PM

I think the real issue is how loud the exhaust is... The intake has to compete/overpower the volume of the exhaust to be heard. I believe the only way that is possible is with an "open" design intake and metal tubing.

Old 12-29-2019, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Tp10XKR
Better yet have a straight tube fabricated the same size and bends with the mounting tab to replace those parts. Would it be cost effective and create the same effect (more SC noise) with free flow filters ??
Anyone that has already replaced their intake silencer willing to part with their OEM unit? (It would be returned). Would be useful for designing a plug ‘n play delete section.

Old 12-30-2019, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
yes this would work great, it would only take a piece that is a few inches long to defeat the baffle within the silencer tube. i believe this method will be the simplest compared to replacing the entire section of tubing as this tubing has a slight bend on top and has to mate perfectly with the MAS if you wanted to use the stock air box connections. That being said it wouldn't take much to replicate this section of tubing and this would provide a a better sound i think.

Old 01-05-2020, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 984 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by conbrash
Hi guys,

I made a DIY YouTube video of how to instal an intake system for our cars. It has before and after clips of the supercharger whine. Hope it helps if you are on the fence!

Link to the video;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEqG...ature=youtu.be

Link to the kit I purchased:
https://www.ywmotorsports.com/produc...8-lower-intake
Thanks for posting the video and info. Sounds great IMO. You have caused me to order a set! Just got rid of my 997 Turbo and Boxster S and needed something new to start tinkering with I have already put the car up on my lift and started tearing it down (for fun). It is now ready when the intake arrives. One thing I noted is that those two lower inlet ducts are not attached to anything and seem a bit loose (unless you remove them?).

I decided to make a small band to secure them and replaced one of the lower screws (which was plastic!) with a metal one and they are secure now. Some pics too for others to get a clear look at the intake with wheel apron off and my strap on the lower duct. Hope this may help others. Thanks again for posting! Excited to install them when they arrive.

DC

conbrash (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 04:43 AM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

You probably want to make sure it's tuned soon. With a higher flow intake, you're most likely running lean. I would assume Jag's OEM tune is forgiving enough that it would allow for this, but if you go WOT too often without a tune, you'll most likely risk misfire.

Quick Reply: DIY Video: Increasing Supercharger Whine with Aftermarket Intakes