F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DMV renewal/lease return question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 232 Posts
Default DMV renewal/lease return question...

Been a while since I've reached a lease term so I've forgotten but figured I'd throw this out there:

The car goes back on the 24th (or before) and the renewal is due on the 26th.
The plate are personalized and won't stay with the car.

Question is: Do I have to pay another year's registration on plates that won't be valid or will remain on the car? What will happen if I don't pay them?

Thanks guys in advance...

Old 10-01-2017, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,635 Likes on 8,310 Posts

I believe that if you won't have the car on the 26th, you won't have to renew the registration even if the plates are not on the car. If you belong o the AAA, they'll be able to give you good info.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Here in Maryland, I lost ownership of the personalized tag id about 30 days after the registration on it expired. After the registration expires, it's fair game for anyone else who applies for it, if you don't put it back into use first. I am certain the rules vary by state.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jayt2
I believe that if you won't have the car on the 26th, you won't have to renew the registration even if the plates are not on the car. If you belong o the AAA, they'll be able to give you good info...
I am a AAA member...yesterday I spoke with a DMV lady friend of mine and she told me to remove the plates (since they're personalized and won't remain with the car),drop it off on the 24th or before and don't worry about the renewal.

I'll make certain to get a dated receipt for turning the car in...thanks guys.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:50 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

I would call the F&I office at your Dealer, I'm sure they've been through this many times before.

Will you be transferring the plates to another Car?

Old 10-02-2017, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uk2usa
Will you be transferring the plates to another Car..?
The plates say 15 F-TYPE so I'm thinking that'd be a no-go on the Audi...

Old 10-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

I recall your 15 F-TYPE plate and didn’t think you wanted to put it on the Audi. They make a nice decoration for the car guy’s garage, though.

If you did, you would have to wait until you received the plates for the new car, go to the CA DMV or AAA and do a plate transfer which costs $55.

I did a plate transfer recently and the lady at the DMV who helped me was very nice and informative. She advised me to make sure I went to CA DMV online to complete a transfer and release of liability to remove myself from the vehicle, even though it was a lease. I have always done this on purchased cars in the past, but was not aware it was necessary on a lease vehicle. I figured this was handled by the dealer at turn in, and it may be, but it is best to do it yourself just in case they don’t. If not, there is the possibility you could be held responsible during the time period from turn in to when the car is sold by the leasing company and re-registered by the new owner.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,635 Likes on 8,310 Posts

Originally Posted by jmfan

I did a plate transfer recently and the lady at the DMV who helped me was very nice and informative. She advised me to make sure I went to CA DMV online to complete a transfer and release of liability to remove myself from the vehicle, even though it was a lease. I have always done this on purchased cars in the past, but was not aware it was necessary on a lease vehicle. I figured this was handled by the dealer at turn in, and it may be, but it is best to do it yourself just in case they don’t. If not, there is the possibility you could be held responsible during the time period from turn in to when the car is sold by the leasing company and re-registered by the new owner.
The dealer is SUPPOSED to do the required paperwork and while your in there...make sure they do it right..it is the dealers responsibility to complete all required paperwork relieving you of all future liability.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:00 AM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayt2
The dealer is SUPPOSED to do the required paperwork and while your in there...make sure they do it right..it is the dealers responsibility to complete all required paperwork relieving you of all future liability.
I agree and I did sign and verify all the paperwork at turn in. Somehow the dealer messed up the DMV fees on the new car and I had to fight them for 3 1/2 months to get the license plates. I wasn't taking any chances they processed the lease return properly as well. Better to be safe until I received the final statement from the leasing company, which took almost 5 months.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:50 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Mostly unrelated, but...

When I took the Jag in for the 2nd year inspection, they told me they couldn't inspect it because the plates and the registration didn't match. One digit was off by one (i.e. 6 instead of a 5.) Had to get new plates, because the plate # I had was in use by someone else!

So, the dealer entered the wrong plate number, inspected the car that way, and passed it.

Trust, but verify. Or don't trust!