Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have a Lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 08:47 AM
AJF
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Do I have a Lemon?

I just bought a used 2015 F Type S V6 a few weeks ago in pristine condition and only 6k miles.

On the way home after picking it up, the CEL light came on. Wound up being a bad O2 sensor.

A few days later the door lock button stopped working.

This past weekend, while a ways from home, click-click-click wouldn't start. Called Jaguar Roadside, they sent a kid to try to jump start it; didn't work. Had to have it towed to the dealership (BTW, I waited almost 6 hours for them to send the correct type of tow truck ) Jaguar service replaced the starter, still no joy. They can't figure out what the problem is so they sent a report to Jaguar to see how to proceed.

Anyone else have a similar problem with their car not starting?

Old 04-27-2017, 10:00 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

No, but I also have a bad O2 sensor at 6000 miles. Apparently, the sensors have been a problem.
Larry

The following users liked this post:
AJF (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by AJF
I just bought a used 2015 F Type S V6 a few weeks ago in pristine condition and only 6k miles.

On the way home after picking it up, the CEL light came on. Wound up being a bad O2 sensor.

A few days later the door lock button stopped working.

This past weekend, while a ways from home, click-click-click wouldn't start. Called Jaguar Roadside, they sent a kid to try to jump start it; didn't work. Had to have it towed to the dealership (BTW, I waited almost 6 hours for them to send the correct type of tow truck ) Jaguar service replaced the starter, still no joy. They can't figure out what the problem is so they sent a report to Jaguar to see how to proceed.

Anyone else have a similar problem with their car not starting?
The bad O2 sensor has been a recurring theme. Hopefully they also updated the software to help prevent further issues (I believe that's TSB 309). The other 2 issues, I believe, are a first time on this forum..

What door lock button are you talking about? I only use the exterior door handles to lock. Otherwise the car does everything automatically.

If the new starter didn't work, it sounds like a bad terminal connection at the battery (or some other location).

The following users liked this post:
AJF (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 10:11 AM
AJF

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The bad O2 sensor has been a recurring theme. Hopefully they also updated the software to help prevent further issues (I believe that's TSB 309). The other 2 issues, I believe, are a first time on this forum..

What door lock button are you talking about? I only use the exterior door handles to lock. Otherwise the car does everything automatically.

If the new starter didn't work, it sounds like a bad terminal connection at the battery (or some other location).
The button on the drivers side door which I use to unlock the passengers side door to let someone in.

Yea they are thinking it's electrical but I'm surprised they can't figure it out with all of the diagnostic systems in modern cars like this. Everything electric worked fine inside the car: radio, windows, climate control etc. BUT, it wouldn't allow me to lock the doors, so I had to use the mechanical key. Weird!

Old 04-27-2017, 10:40 AM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Same here on the 02 sensor. However, I had it happen almost right on the the 10K mark.

I have not had any additional issues.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exact same thing happened to me. After driving home from the dealership after purchasing the car, I got a CEL because of the O2 sensor. Car was used and it had 6k miles on it.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Minor issues in the scheme of things. As others have mentioned, O2 sensors are known, as is the door lock solenoid issue. The dealer may well be just inept, and the starter maybe something really simple- If YOU have lost faith in it, then it might be a Lemon.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:16 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Had a bad sensor too

Old 04-27-2017, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Tell them to disconnect all the cables to the main board (the one under the floor), wait a minute and then plug them back in.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:20 PM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

Its not a lemon, it's a jaaaag!

Old 04-27-2017, 04:37 PM
AJF

It turned out that the negative lead to the starter had some corrosion so it wasn't connecting. They cleaned it up and it was fine . This was discovered after installing a new starter . The door lock button had a loose connection. All good now

Old 04-27-2017, 04:41 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,148 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Excellent. Good to get a clear explanation that makes sense. It's been a lousy weather week (haven't driven mine since Mon), but the weekend will be good to put some miles on your Jaaaag.

The following 2 users liked this post by DJS:
AJF (04-28-2017), Stwsam (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 04:55 AM
AJF

Originally Posted by DJS
Excellent. Good to get a clear explanation that makes sense. It's been a lousy weather week (haven't driven mine since Mon), but the weekend will be good to put some miles on your Jaaaag.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I haven't seen many lemons reported on the forum. Maybe 1 or 2?

Old 04-28-2017, 05:46 AM
AJF

Originally Posted by jaguny
I haven't seen many lemons reported on the forum. Maybe 1 or 2?
In my case it was more of a question than a report. I've had the car for 3 weeks and every week was a new problem, the last one was the most annoying since it had to be towed away after waiting for 6 hours .

I don't believe I have a lemon, just maybe bad luck but hopefully this will be the end of it .

Old 04-28-2017, 08:27 AM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AJF
In my case it was more of a question than a report. I've had the car for 3 weeks and every week was a new problem, the last one was the most annoying since it had to be towed away after waiting for 6 hours .

I don't believe I have a lemon, just maybe bad luck but hopefully this will be the end of it .
You picked up a used car that probably had been sitting on the lot for a while as these cars don't really move that fast on the used market. The particular car I bought, I watched it sit on the dealer lot for 3 months before buying it. It was fun watching the price drop each month!

Old 04-28-2017, 08:41 AM
AJF

Originally Posted by Mueller
You picked up a used car that probably had been sitting on the lot for a while as these cars don't really move that fast on the used market. The particular car I bought, I watched it sit on the dealer lot for 3 months before buying it. It was fun watching the price drop each month!
I bought it privately and the guy was 78 years old lol. So yea I'm sure it sat a lot, as did he. The good news was that he was neurotic about keeping it clean, parking it himself instead of the valet, never driving in bad weather etc.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

I have a theory that's why you see the F-Type commonly on a MB dealer lot - they got traded in for a MB sofa and being in such good shape they try and sell them before punting to auction. That was the story behind mine according to the dealer. Some of the better priced ones I have seen were on a MB franchise lot. Including mine ;-)

Old 04-28-2017, 09:49 AM
AJF

Originally Posted by stmcknig
I have a theory that's why you see the F-Type commonly on a MB dealer lot - they got traded in for a MB sofa and being in such good shape they try and sell them before punting to auction. That was the story behind mine according to the dealer. Some of the better priced ones I have seen were on a MB franchise lot. Including mine ;-)
I think that's an excellent theory. The first car I test drove was a CPO at a Jaguar dealership that had very low mileage. I asked about the car's history since it had such low mileage and sure enough, it was traded in at the dealership's Mercedes franchise !

If anyone here is looking for a great deal on a used F Type, maybe hang out at a Mercedes lot

Old 04-28-2017, 11:58 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by AJF
I think that's an excellent theory. The first car I test drove was a CPO at a Jaguar dealership that had very low mileage. I asked about the car's history since it had such low mileage and sure enough, it was traded in at the dealership's Mercedes franchise !

If anyone here is looking for a great deal on a used F Type, maybe hang out at a Mercedes lot
Funny. I traded a Benz for the Jag.