Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do NOT buy Pearl RearVision backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 05:14 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Do NOT buy Pearl RearVision backup camera

Item of topic: https://pearlauto.com/rearvision

Seemed like a good alternative to NavTV or other aftermarket backup cameras. 5 minute install, no wires (the video feed is transmitted over Bluetooth/wifi to your cellphone), solar panels in the frame to power the camera.

The issue: The wifi/bluetooth transmitter needs to stay plugged in to your OBD2 port. According to Pearl's website, the power draw is so minor that it won't drain your battery. However, Jaguar has always been known to be sensative to electronics and their effect on battery. The Pearl camera will definitely kill your battery within a day or so.

I am returning mine.

Any alternatives to NavTV?

Old 03-26-2017, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Oh yes - the whole ODB2 issue is more than the device's drain it is a vehicle flaw. The energy management system stays active/online once the device is removed.

Went to DEQ in Oregon for an inspection VIN check and they plugged into that port, but luckily all seems well. No hazard triangle staying on, no low battery warnings after a couple days.

Got lucky.

Yep the Pearl is a no go - not because the Pearl is a bad product, but rather our F-Types have that unresolved and unacknowledged flaw.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...switch-158136/

Old 03-28-2017, 05:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Damn electrical issues! I thought on European cars had those!! Lol