F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do people drive Stupid around your F-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 03:50 AM
BHF
Received 94 Likes on 42 Posts

I’ve had a guy in a pickup hanging out the window to take pictures of my F Type but no racer wannabes yet. My wife has had many idiots want to go for it with her in her E Pace. Including a moron in a pos older car that thought they were racing onto the highway. She got on normally and got up to the speed limit only to have him blow by pointing and laughing as he “raced” by. A little further up the highway he was on the side with smoke poring out of his blown motor. Karma.

The following users liked this post:
scm (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 10:05 AM
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by datriani
I'm in the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) area and If anyone just hears the exhaust, they'll speed up and want to race.... mini vans, Prius, Camrys or anything with a sports package. Most of the time, I'll look over and just smile or give them a "are you serious?!!?!" look and just go about my business. Occasionally I'll give it a go but it's gotta be dry, minimal/zero other people on the road and no where near my house/neighborhood.

Today it was raining and I took a corner carefully and as soon as I cleared it, I gunned it for a split second to get on an on ramp to the highway. I was just opening it up to hear the exhaust, not racing anyone as there wasn't any in my immediate vicinity, not trying drive aggressively or weaving... just a quick acceleration to maybe 5-10 above the limit and then I backed off. A Charger with a Hemi flies up to and just rides my a$$ as we're about to get on the highway. As soon as the lane breaks into 2, he pulls around and flies off. Dude, it's wet outside, you're driving a rear wheel drive car with more horsepower than you're probably able to handle and you want to race or show off? You're an idiot.
This. All of this! I related my NOVA experience here in a similar thread. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...3/#post2235271.

BTW datriani, I lived in your town for 16 years, moved out towards Leesburg about 2 years ago. Maybe you were one on the only 2 FTs I've ever seen around here.

Old 02-28-2021, 10:44 AM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

But I will say that I've had more random girls (drive thru, curbside pickup, and getting in/out of my car) in the 20's tell me how much they like my car and how sexy it is. That just kind of tells me that it might be a jealousy thing for most dudes with a performance vehicle.... I think most people see this car and regardless of what they know about it, it just looks like sex on wheels and it probably pisses people (other dudes) off when they are just HP and chrome.

I used to have a RRSS and my buddy, who is a car guy, didn't really understand what the hype is about with that SUV compared to his wife's Explorer. I let him drive and he turned to me and said, "now I get it". The way it handles, accelerates and the luxury your surrounded by is incomparable.

What I think makes this Jag/F type so unique is that it's a high performance car, with a reasonable luxurious feel, and look amazing but it's not over the top or a "look at me" kind of a car.

Clutch, I'm down in Nokesville but work in Reston. Just got the car about a month ago but I have been driving it an excessive amount so it might have been me you saw, ha.

Would love to get a group of F type owners in the area for a meet up. Any interest? I think Unhinged is in MD as well. Any other DMV locals?

Old 03-01-2021, 05:38 PM
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Sure; I'm normally very introverted and never do car shows or clubs but this FT beauty has been a different experience for me in the year I have had it. The forum here is great and the people have been really friendly and eager to share knowledge and enthusiasm. And since the car is fairly rare even around here, I would imagine the group would be quite manageable. We can find a warm day in the spring/summer for a meetup and a pint. (and some sober up time before the drive home!). Keep me posted - I live in Waterford ( - and unfortunately off a dirt/mud road. I hate what it does to the car but I will not let that deter me from driving and enjoying it!).

Old 03-01-2021, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutch
Sure; I'm normally very introverted and never do car shows or clubs but this FT beauty has been a different experience for me in the year I have had it. The forum here is great and the people have been really friendly and eager to share knowledge and enthusiasm. And since the car is fairly rare even around here, I would imagine the group would be quite manageable. We can find a warm day in the spring/summer for a meetup and a pint. (and some sober up time before the drive home!). Keep me posted - I live in Waterford ( - and unfortunately off a dirt/mud road. I hate what it does to the car but I will not let that deter me from driving and enjoying it!).
I’ve headed down RT 15 to that area often, about a 90 minute drive for me from south central PA. I’d be up to make the trek when the weather improves.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:25 PM

I'm about the same, I love cars but never got into the car shows/club thing. I had a nice Range Rover Sport V8 that I got up to about 700 hp and it was a beast. I loved that truck but for some reason but this car is like the girlfriend I've always wanted whereas the RRSS was more like having the best four legged friend, ha.

15 is a quick hop for me off Route 66. Take me about a 60 min to get up to Leesburg.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (03-01-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

But I will say that I've had more random girls (drive thru, curbside pickup, and getting in/out of my car) in the 20's tell me how much they like my car and how sexy it is. That just kind of tells me that it might be a jealousy thing for most dudes with a performance vehicle.... I think most people see this car and regardless of what they know about it, it just looks like sex on wheels and it probably pisses people (other dudes) off when they are just HP and chrome.

I used to have a RRSS and my buddy, who is a car guy, didn't really understand what the hype is about with that SUV compared to his wife's Explorer. I let him drive and he turned to me and said, "now I get it". The way it handles, accelerates and the luxury your surrounded by is incomparable.

What I think makes this Jag/F type so unique is that it's a high performance car, with a reasonable luxurious feel, and look amazing but it's not over the top or a "look at me" kind of a car.

Clutch, I'm down in Nokesville but work in Reston. Just got the car about a month ago but I have been driving it an excessive amount so it might have been me you saw, ha.

Would love to get a group of F type owners in the area for a meet up. Any interest? I think Unhinged is in MD as well. Any other DMV locals?
We could all hook up at Katie’s Cars and Coffee some Saturday Morning. We could probably get MBourne from Southern PA to join us as well.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-06-2021 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
I’ve headed down RT 15 to that area often, about a 90 minute drive for me from south central PA. I’d be up to make the trek when the weather improves.
oh... I see Marko already chimed in.
count me in wherever you decide to meet up (even as far as Maine ).

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-06-2021 at 05:30 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
oh... I see Marko already chimed in.
count me in wherever you decide to meet up (even as far as Maine ).
ha, I’m ALWAYS up for a road trip.

It’s starting to warm up and my weekends are pretty open at this point. If you guys want to throw out a date, I can make it work.

Old 03-06-2021, 11:11 PM
Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts
Old 03-07-2021, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

It doesn't happen as much these days as it did when the thread was created. When the car was new to the market, people really did freak out when they saw them on the road. People still think they look great today, but they aren't usually doing the crazy things they were doing 5-6 years ago.

Old 03-07-2021, 05:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Constantly, yes. I initially wondered if it was my own bias at work here but after 18 months of driving this thing around town it's clear that other drivers react to the car in different ways. Honestly I think the day-time LEDs and front profile make the car look pretty aggressive. If I'm behind someone (and I DON'T tailgate, ever), most people refuse to pull over and let me pass and will actively try and prevent it. Other cars of all kinds seem to want to beat me off the lights (like EVERY time), honestly driving this thing you need constant vigilance and the patience of a saint around here. It is offset by the general "man I love your car" comments which I find genuinely nice and it cheers me up, but F-Types are definitely not an anonymous vehicle on the road.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:51 PM
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny topic. My wife has officially been driving hers for three days and is super annoyed in folks driving silly to get a closer look. Also frustrated with everyone at the gym, grocery, PT, etc wanting to stop and talk about it. She’s used to some attention and has spent time in M cars, 911s, Rovers, G’s, etc but clearly the sex appeal of the F is on a different level.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by ancient
Constantly, yes. I initially wondered if it was my own bias at work here but after 18 months of driving this thing around town it's clear that other drivers react to the car in different ways. Honestly I think the day-time LEDs and front profile make the car look pretty aggressive. If I'm behind someone (and I DON'T tailgate, ever), most people refuse to pull over and let me pass and will actively try and prevent it. Other cars of all kinds seem to want to beat me off the lights (like EVERY time), honestly driving this thing you need constant vigilance and the patience of a saint around here. It is offset by the general "man I love your car" comments which I find genuinely nice and it cheers me up, but F-Types are definitely not an anonymous vehicle on the road.
I have noticed that cars will drive right next to each other and not let me pass pretty often. I've learned to sit back, relax and enjoy the slower pace drive and when the opportunity opens up, I'll let her rip. But I won't tailgate or switch lanes back and forth... pointless because they just try harder to be a "hater." You're right about this car teaching you to have patience with others.

But what cracks me up are the people in minivans that drive like idiots and try race or slow you down. Don't you have kids in your car? What's wrong with you?

Old 03-12-2021, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

Just this afternoon, I was driving sedately in my new BRG F-Type and some *** in a large truck decided for no reason to tailgate me!
After about 3 miles, I gave him the finger.
He appeared to laugh and backed off. Then he accelerated and passed me.
Perhaps he was trying to identify the car and/or perhaps he was just an *******!!

Old 03-12-2021, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
Perhaps he was trying to identify the car
Yes, you will get a lot of this. I'd recommend not flipping everyone off if you cannot definitively know their actions.

Old 03-13-2021, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Yes, you will get a lot of this. I'd recommend not flipping everyone off if you cannot definitively know their actions.

I think 3 miles of tailgating qualifies him as being an official a-hole.

Old 03-13-2021, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 257 Posts

And it was 3 miles on state roads, not highways!!

Old 03-13-2021, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
And it was 3 miles on state roads, not highways!!
Definitely a certified A-hole

Old 03-13-2021, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member

I think 3 miles of tailgating qualifies him as being an official a-hole.
Just take off. The worst thing you can do these days is to hang around and make it worse.

Quick Reply: Do people drive Stupid around your F-Type?