F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do people drive Stupid around your F-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 03:17 PM
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I realize I am typically the one driving like the a hole.

Old 03-14-2021, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

Two years ago, I made a tour of the Austrian/German/French/Swiss/Italian Alps.. .. we viewed about x-thousand Porches,
a few Corvettes (German), some Ferrari's and ONE other F-Type (Italian), in a 9500kM trip....

So imagine how rare F-Types are.. .. and some Ferrari's do look a lot like the F-Type !

When we were on that trip, passing through Monaco, there is a location beside a tunnel entrance were hypercar owners meet up.

Of course car spotters with big camera's join them..

So when we approached in my Ultra Blue F-Type, they turned away from the hypercars and started 'shooting' us... .

I only recently found out that the likely reason was that Ferrari were about to launch a new version of the Roma,

and the spotters thought they had an exclusive..

Some weeks later it was less funny when we were followed by two blacked-out cars without license plates for several hours.

Finally I viewed a police car and I pulled up next to them, I speak reasonably french. The gendarme followed the cars and I think got

on the radio too, as these two other cars drove off way over the speedlimit..

So it can be more or less funny if someone mistakes a humble F-Type by the copy Ferrari made of it...

Last edited by Dan_NL; 03-14-2021 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:44 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default opposite for me.

i have to keep my dynamic / sport Off if i want to Race It's very hard to get people to race me once they hear the sports mode. And I would still take off against a purpose built drag car. I don't care. I'm tuned, so it'll be fun either way.

Without a doubt, though, I've had Chevy equinox And BMWS go crazy around me like they see the F type and They believe it's time to go. Also. A psycopath. Went crazy in a Kia stinger.

Old 03-21-2021, 08:50 AM
Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan Ivgi
i have to keep my dynamic / sport Off if i want to Race It's very hard to get people to race me once they hear the sports mode. And I would still take off against a purpose built drag car. I don't care. I'm tuned, so it'll be fun either way.

Without a doubt, though, I've had Chevy equinox And BMWS go crazy around me like they see the F type and They believe it's time to go. Also. A psycopath. Went crazy in a Kia stinger.
If you’re having problems finding people to race with your active exhaust on, plan on a road trip to the DC/Northern Virginia, MD area as it’s the mating call for any one with “sport”, “hemi” or “turbo” badge. It’s really not about who has the faster car around here, it’s all about who’s more of a lunatic. I’ll race but it’s gotta be in a reasonable spot with minimal people around.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by datriani
I think 3 miles of tailgating qualifies him as being an official a-hole.
Yes, and likely an A-Hole with a .44. Keep your middle finger safely holstered.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by datriani
If you’re having problems finding people to race with your active exhaust on, plan on a road trip to the DC/Northern Virginia, MD area as it’s the mating call for any one with “sport”, “hemi” or “turbo” badge. It’s really not about who has the faster car around here, it’s all about who’s more of a lunatic. I’ll race but it’s gotta be in a reasonable spot with minimal people around.
So true, and it’s usually the crowded beltway that they go berserk.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Yes, and likely an A-Hole with a .44. Keep your middle finger safely holstered.
I remember when there were rush hour shootings in LA back in the day. All you had to do was cut someone off and you'd be dodging bullets for the next 1/4 mile. I keep that in the back of my mind when driving because VA is a gun friendly state and you never know when someone might be holding.

Old 03-23-2021, 12:09 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

What is it with dudes that buy Honda Accord coupes? 8/10 times, it’s this ‘holier than thou’ driver who thinks he can outrun lamborghinis.

Had a guy clearly get off of whatever route he was on to get right behind me, and when he had a chance to pass, he puts his hand out of the window and gives me a thumbs down 😂.

Don’t get me wrong, they’re great cars, but why are their owners like this?!

Old 03-23-2021, 08:21 AM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Yesterday afternoon on my way home from work, I had a guy in a VW Golf pull up next to me at a stop light and revved his engine. It sounded just like you'd think. I looked at him and smiled then ignored him as he continued to rev. At the green light, he floored it for at least a hundred yards. I drove as normal, smiling to myself at this guy's foolishness as he drove away. What was this guy's thinking?
I have noticed that people tend to follow me more closely in the Jag then any other car I've owned and I don't care for that. I don't react but do try to change lanes if possible to give me more space.

Old 03-23-2021, 04:57 PM

I think that a good number of folks on this forum worked pretty hard to earn a car like this but we also respect a car that's nicer than ours. When I see a Lambo or Aston or whatever, my first thought is "damn, that is a beautiful car. One day I'll have one of those." I'll drive by and give them a thumbs up or a smile and a nod if appropriate. No jealousy or insecurities, just respect for the vehicle and the person who potentially "earned" it as well.

Not to get too deep but I think it's this positive mentality and outlook that is part of the reason why we're able to afford a car like this. Positivity (and hard work) just permeates into success if you're consistent.

I've had an Altima, Eclipse, Durango and many other not so great cars but even with those, I never hated on someone who pulled up in a 100k+ car. Just respect for that car and what it could do. I hope to be in an Aston before I'm 50.

The following 2 users liked this post by datriani:
RideTheLightning (03-26-2021), TX69XKE (08-21-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 11:45 AM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

Before I moved to Oregon I belonged to a sports car club where you could rent exotic and semi-exotic cars. The worst cars for bad behavior were the Vipers. For some reason Toyota and Truck drivers seemed to, with impressive frequency, try to race me at the light. The only race I actually did was against a Motorcycle on a freeway on-ramp. For much of the ramp, the car was sideways, the motorcycle way behind me literally in a mass of dust and smoke, my wife was screaming for everything she was worth and, admittedly, I was a tad concerned that the rear of the car really wanted to pass the front of the car while I was going straight. Good times....

The following users liked this post:
otokar (03-25-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 03:27 PM
Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

Honestly, I haven't noticed too much of this. I've only had a couple folks try to race me since I picked up my R last year, and it's really hard to tell the difference between normal stupid Central FL drivers and something a little more excessive.

Though I did once have a guy in a brand-new-to-him Focus RS (new as in he still had a temp tag and it looked new-shiny) goose it to get next to me and let off throttle to blow off a turbo BOV, then got back on it and cruised away from me. I let him go, but he must have been looking in his rear view mirror, because about 100 yards farther down the road he drove right up a curb onto a median, kicked up a bunch of sand and grass, and almost spun out before getting it pointed back straight. Probably did a ton of damage to his two left wheels. He pulled off into a gas station a little ways down the road (probably had some low tire pressure warnings...lol) and I gave him a few snaps and crackles as I cruised by him.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:53 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes. I ignore all these pathetic "challenges". Not worth my recognition.

Unless of course it is a real legitimate competitor.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:43 AM

I had 2 cars that were on my a$$ the other day on a 1 lane road and as we took our left turn onto the main road with 2 lanes when the light turned green, I gunned as soon as I cleared the left turn (still on my a$$) and they tried to keep up but it was futile. I slowed down and let them catch up and then just burned them again. My car was in normal mode the entire time, didn't use dynamic or the sport setting (ha). I think I proved my point but they both still wanted to go at it but I just drove normally after that and let those knuckleheads tail gate each other down the road.

Sometimes it's just fun and I'm willing back down and not escalate any further. Knowing when to walk away is an important part to having a fast car.

Old 03-26-2021, 06:46 AM
BHF
Received 94 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't have a fast car, but idiots think I do. (Base 340) So a couple times in the last few weeks I've been first at a light on a 4 lane road. Some idiot comes up in the other lane and stops short when he sees me there. One was a Challenger and last night a Mustang. They both assumed they couldn't hang with the F and held back. I think its pretty funny.
On the subject of F Types being fairly rare, I've been thinking that if I go into hooligan mode and drive like an idiot its pretty easy to pick me out of the crowd.

Old 03-26-2021, 01:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To add a bit of a twist to this thread, what are the cars who sit in front of you speeding up and down just enough to frustrate overtaking? Here in the UK it’s geriatrics in Honda Jazzes (Fits stateside) who pooter along at 35mph on every unrestricted road but then speed up to 40mph in towns (limit 30, but they never get busted as the cops don’t target them with the radar gun). When you overtake they immediately find another gear and suddenly your road in front is rapidly disappearing. Hopefully a blast of exhaust crackle induces a gastric relaxation as you pass, but mirror lip reading indicates some very rude words along the lines of “road hog” and “tearaway “. They might have been young once but it is clearly so long ago the memory has ossified. And in case anyone thinks I’m being unfair, I’m nearly 70. My wife has been told to pipe the exhaust into the car if I ever start to look longingly at a Jazz, the car of choice for minted oldies here - average buyer age 62.

The less said about caravans and motor homes the better.

The following 2 users liked this post by Spurgear:
Mbourne (03-26-2021), scm (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 04:51 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,461 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Another trick in the UK is they pootle along at 10mph below the speed limit and when you overtake they blast their horn at you. No idea what's going through their tiny minds.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

One word. CHARGERS

Old 03-29-2021, 06:17 AM
Received 273 Likes on 190 Posts

Don't know if this exactly fits, but my wife was out driving my F Type and stopped for gas (petrol). As she's filling up, a man rode up to her on a bicycle and complemented by saying wow, that's a nice car. Then proceeded to ask her if he could "take her to dinner somewhere nice like Red Lobster". My wife simply said thanks, but she didn't think her husband would approve and that it was his car.
We later discussed what his plan might be. Would they ride two up on his bike, or would he leave his bike at the gas station and ride with her? Red Lobster struck us funny as my niece had stayed with us several years ago and on her 18th birthday she asked if we could take her to dinner "somewhere fancy like Red Lobster". So of course my first response was, oh he was trying to take you someplace fancy like Red Lobster.

Old 06-06-2021, 07:50 AM
Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Saturday was headed to a cookout. Was not even a mile from home on a four lane road with a speed limit of 40 MPH. There was traffic around. I was in the fast lane doing all of 35. Teen driver in a Sonata in the slow lane put their turn signal on to get over in my lane. I could have hit the brakes and let them in but just maintained my speed.

Teen driver then pulls in behind me and starts frantically waving their arms at me. Next they jump back into the slow lane fly by me and pull over in front of me. I still maintained my speed. Two blocks later they are back over in the slow lane.

At that point I just tried to keep a safe distance from them.

Quick Reply: Do people drive Stupid around your F-Type?