F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you daily your F-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 12:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
The V6 with switchable exhaust is not a problem for my neighborhood. For mornings and evenings I put it in quiet mode and I've never had any complaints. I have neighbors that have made nose complaints, but never for me. Keeping the speed and the revs down helps too.

It's a refined sound, and not the loudest car on the street. The initial startup is the only time it barks, and even then, not like the V8.
Great response, thank you. Seems to be a case of driving it conservatively will result in a more conservative sound output.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by jetsetter883
Great response, thank you. Seems to be a case of driving it conservatively will result in a more conservative sound output.
Even with a modified exhaust system, the sound output is quite controllable.

Old 10-05-2020, 04:56 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Can't speak from experience with the V6 but my V8 is a purring ***** cat at low revs. Only when you get the revs up above 3000 does it begin to snarl.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:27 AM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Agree with the others, you can easily control the volume by keeping the revs low.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by jetsetter883
I plan to use my F-Type V6 as a daily driver, or as I’ve also heard it called a “grocery getter”. As such, I am curious what type of noise the 6-cylinder puts out on a general “daily driving” basis (quick trips to the store, coffee or beer run etc). Would you say there is an audible “snarl” at nearly any speed even in stop-and-go traffic? And would you say you generally have pretty good control over the sound output?

Basically, much as I plan on having fun with the car, I am just trying to avoid a situation where the car is summoning a great deal of attention (noise-wise) when I’m just trying to make a quick trip to the post office lol. Appreciate your thoughts : )
A reviewer on the Interweb said the V8 was more calm and less noise attracting for normal driving. The reviewer said the V6 is screaming at you all the time.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 980 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
A reviewer on the Interweb said the V8 was more calm and less noise attracting for normal driving. The reviewer said the V6 is screaming at you all the time.
Interesting observation, but doesn't match my experience. Mine only screams when I twist its tail. If just loafing along, say 25mph in a residential area, both could be quiet as both could be just off idle. I suppose there's a point of "moderately fast" where the V6 has to be flogged harder and is is louder than the V8 at the same speed, but the V8 is louder in the general case.

For reference: My V8 miles are barely double-digit, while my V6 miles are over 42,000. On my test drives of the V8, I thought the sound levels were a bit much for daily use, but expect the salesman had deliberately pushed the "loud" button, so I discount that as meaningful experience.

Old 10-07-2020, 03:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First year of dailying a 2020 R. The (relatively) large trunk makes daily activities very manageable so I seldom find myself wishing I took the SUV instead. We’ll see how the upcoming winter goes but one day at a time!

Old 10-11-2020, 07:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I daily drive my 2020 F type R convertible

Old 10-21-2020, 03:09 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I daily drive my 2017 S convertible out/in of NYC, it's actually quite nice. Can be a bit rough at times, but noise is never an issue at least

Just ordered a 2021 F-Type R convertible, we'll see how that goes

Old 10-27-2020, 06:06 AM
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I drive my R as much as I can. I work from home, and sometimes cant take it on the job because of the dangers. However, a couple times a week it gets to go on longer drives to office in the city and back with weekend and occasional afternoon spirited driving. Gas mileage is whatever.

Buy an R. Modify it and make it faster.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:46 PM
Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart Satter
I drive my R as much as I can. I work from home, and sometimes cant take it on the job because of the dangers. However, a couple times a week it gets to go on longer drives to office in the city and back with weekend and occasional afternoon spirited driving. Gas mileage is whatever.

Buy an R. Modify it and make it faster.
I'm with you, I drive it when I can, but I don’t really daily drive anything - I work from home for the most part and am a bit of a recluse. I bought it to drive on nice days and I drive it when it’s nice or I feel like making noise, but I have other purpose-built vehicles for rain/snow, hauling the dog, taking a trip etc. up until neck surgery this year, I usually ride my bike al ost as much as my combined annual mileage (usually around 2400),