F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Give As Many As You Receive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 09:06 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Do You Give As Many As You Receive?

There are a number of threads and anecdotal comments regarding our receiving compliments on our F Types. Personally, for me it never gets old and it speaks well of those who are kind enough to take time to do so.

With that said, I'm not sure that I get high marks for complimenting others on their unique, classic or "special" vehicles. I was therefore curious, for some feedback from other forum members as to how "you" might rate yourselves in this category?

Old 04-27-2018, 12:47 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

If I'm driving and looking, if they notice me looking I'll do a smile or thumbs up or some acknowledgement. If I am walking by and they are by their car I make sure to say something. Now that I know how it feels to be on the receiving end of the compliment, I'm glad I've always done so.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:06 PM
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

As a long-term and multiple Jaguar owner, "we" have always flashed our brights at oncoming Jaguars. In the early years most flashed back, now not so much. F types receive multiple flashes from this driver! Recently I saw a black version of my F, and left a note on his windscreen with phone etc. It was about 2 months later he saw me in traffic and followed me to our local golf course. It was a delightful conversation about our rides, and we discovered a mutual friend/neighbor. So yes, the compliments are welcomed and given!

The following users liked this post:
andykreb (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

I give generously to numerous charities (assuming they are at least rated 3 - out of 4 - on Charity Navigator).

Oh, not what you wanted? Sorry.

While I am always “friendly” to any car enthusiast - and I get many compliments about the F-Type - I’m generally taken aback saying “thank you” when someone bestows a compliment. I often add, “it’s not like I designed the car”.

Maybe that’s why when I see a beautiful car, I rarely if ever say “nice car”. Occasionally yes but, routinely, no.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by 16fnrbrg
As a long-term and multiple Jaguar owner, "we" have always flashed our brights at oncoming Jaguars. In the early years most flashed back, now not so much. F types receive multiple flashes from this driver! Recently I saw a black version of my F, and left a note on his windscreen with phone etc. It was about 2 months later he saw me in traffic and followed me to our local golf course. It was a delightful conversation about our rides, and we discovered a mutual friend/neighbor. So yes, the compliments are welcomed and given!
Interesting, around here flashing of lights usually means you don't have yours on and should or there's a cop with radar ahead. Although today I had someone flash at me while I was out at lunch and then realized it was an officer politely telling me to slow down before he had to turn around and come get me. Oops!

Here it's more of wave and smile, or a thumbs up (I generally wave and/or smile). And I'm not just talking Jaguars - old muscle cars, and other cars that I just appreciate.

ndabunka (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I give generously to numerous charities (assuming they are at least rated 3 - out of 4 - on Charity Navigator).

Oh, not what you wanted? Sorry.

While I am always “friendly” to any car enthusiast - and I get many compliments about the F-Type - I’m generally taken aback saying “thank you” when someone bestows a compliment. I often add, “it’s not like I designed the car”.

Maybe that’s why when I see a beautiful car, I rarely if ever say “nice car”. Occasionally yes but, routinely, no.
Sorry, I had to laugh that you put friendly in quotes. Maybe it's more of a regional thing? Most of us in the south generally just smile and wave and acknowledge others more I've been told by my friends who moved from "up north" and that it was an adjustment for them. And while I can be really snarky, I don't think I'd respond with "it's not like I designed the car" since I appreciate it when people say things like "beautiful car!" or any number of complimentary things, whether or not I made or designed whatever is being complimented.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I often compliment others who have nice cars - not just others with F-Types. In fact today I stopped to get gas and a guy was putting the top up on his silver 1956 XK140 roadster. The car was absolutely beautiful. So I walked over to the guy and complimented him. He was a total dick and completely ignored me! I wasn't driving my F-Type (just my SUV) so I guess he considered me just another of the great unwashed.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,604 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by PBBarb
Sorry, I had to laugh that you put friendly in quotes. Maybe it's more of a regional thing? Most of us in the south generally just smile and wave and acknowledge others more I've been told by my friends who moved from "up north" and that it was an adjustment for them. And while I can be really snarky, I don't think I'd respond with "it's not like I designed the car" since I appreciate it when people say things like "beautiful car!" or any number of complimentary things, whether or not I made or designed whatever is being complimented.
Don't be sorry (and perhaps you read my post wrong). I always say thank you and often leave it at that. With a smile. My added comment often takes place under my breath or even just in my head. I am never ever snarky to anyone. (And I'm not saying you said I was).

He said. With a smile.

ndabunka (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 04:18 PM

I probably did - I'm exhausted this week and haven't had enough coffee today, and I'm too new around here to know you and tone doesn't come though. I have had people actually say that kind of stuff though. And no, I wasn't saying you were being snarky, just that I CAN be and wouldn't say that to someone's face. Under your breath, now that I can totally understand!

And on that note, I will shut up now, and get some coffee on my way home from work so I can watch more of the draft this evening and tomorrow start building (foam) armor in my garage. Apparently I need it.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I always acknowledge people with a nod of the head, a smile, a "how you doing"...., it just makes the world so much better to live in. As for a car that is awesome looking, without question, I acknowledge with a smile, thumbs up, nod of the head to show my appreciation for their beautiful choice of machine. I love the look of a beautiful vehicle, and I just saw an outstanding Vet which was just spectacular to look at.

As a matter of fact, this AM, I saw this outstanding looking Jaguar F-Tyupe R, and the guy driving it looked so familiar that I smiled, nodded my head and blew a big italian New Jersey kiss his way....., after I recognized it was me in front of a store front glass window. Go figure :-) LMAO!!!

I seriously always acknowledge a beautiful car, as I appreciate vehicles to much, and the engineering, art, and beauty that goes into creating them.

Mbourne (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Joe, well said. I also acknowledge any beautiful or vintage vehicle to show appreciation to the owner for caring enough to get it and properly care for it, if nothing else. Anything of beauty deserves acknowledgement.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 992 Likes on 742 Posts

I got a little numb for a while. When I got my first MV Agusta it was *extremely* rare, especially here in California. The first time I took it to the local Cycle Gear it emptied the store and it literally took me half an hour to get 25 feet to the door. Not figuratively literally, but literally literally.

Now that I'm back DD'ing something special (not exotic, per another thread) I acknowledge the comments and compliments.

On the giving side, I save it for special vehicles. If I said , "hey, nice BMW" to every one I saw I'd never get anywhere. They're everywhere.

Criteria (loosely applied)

- something I used to own, however pedestrian (share some stories!)
- something I'd like to own, and looks to NOT be a garage queen (too many affluent people around here that buy on a whim and rotate frequently)
- something old and not perfect (too many around here throw money at something to restore it but don't have the love that comes from personal effort)
- something weird

In short, if it looks interesting and they seem to be an enthusiast, it's great. At a neighborhood gathering I saw a local enthusiast (accomplished racer) talking to someone else. When cars came up he asked scornfully, "Are you a polisher?" I told him I have the equipment to do it myself but have rebuilt more engines and transmissions than I can even remember. Talk down to me and it's "gosh, look at my wrist, gotta go!"

Had a good conversation with an S2000 owner I approached because it looked like a DD, and another from someone who approached me, ant told me he'd fitted a manual to his older Jaguar from the auto-only days. Good chats.

I might even get more ACKs in my '91 Miata, because it is recognized by people who enjoy driving for the sake of driving.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

I also get the NICE CAR! comment almost each time I am out. The wife and I were in BFE looking for lake lots today and had made a quick bio break at a run down grocery/fuel/sandwich hole-in-the-wall when a typical redneck* said "Hey mawn NICE CAR ya got dare. I bet she's fast as hell!" I thanked him and the wife laughed because the guy was in awe!

Last week a grandma stopped in the middle of a Harris Teeter parking lot as I was getting out of the car. At first I thought she was trying to let me cross traffic but she waived me over and told me that she didn't want to slow me down from going in but wanted to tell me that she had her 9 year old grandson with her and that he LOVES my car & that she used to have a boyfriend with an XK convertible that she loved to drive. After I asked her and the boys name I decided to slow down my day and make some time for them. You should have seen the look in the young bucks face when I asked if he wanted to sit in it! He ran over to the drivers side and eagerly jumped in. I took a number of pics of him with his camera and then he spent about 5 minutes taking pictures from all angles while I cranked it up for him. It was fun to introduce a new convert to the fold. He said he couldn't wait to get back home and play the car on his PS4. Here is a link to the F-Type R on that game.

Back to the original question. Yep, I compliment the owner regardless of make, model or year anytime I see a worthy car, boat, motorcycle or wife... err, scratch that last one as that may be going over the line...LOL

* I grew up in this particular area of BFE on the lake so I am using the term "red neck" in an oddly endearing way here rather than derogatory that those not from around here might perceive when viewing only text

Last edited by ndabunka; 04-27-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I usually get a thumbs up or a “nice car” every time I’m out in the F type or the Land Cruiser. By the same token, I’ll give a thumbs up to any car I see during the day’s travel if I think it’s cool. Unfortunately, in stodgy DC, it doesn’t occur too often.