Old 03-19-2015, 05:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
You could always install something like this

hah thats awesome!

Old 04-01-2015, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Well, normally I'm too cheap to go anywhere that has valet parking, so I can't remember the last time I parked with a valet. A couple days ago I was invited to the Four Seasons in DC and that was all that was available. To make the story short, parking attendant stalls the MINI half way up the parking ramp, can't relaunch up the hill and the car coasts back down the ramp to take out a front corner of a Lexus. So, clearly in this day and age, even though the F-Type has hill-assist with the manual tranny, there's no way I'm turning the car over to a parking attendant. (Fortunately the MINI only needs a new bumper skin)

Old 04-02-2015, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Well, normally I'm too cheap to go anywhere that has valet parking, so I can't remember the last time I parked with a valet. A couple days ago I was invited to the Four Seasons in DC and that was all that was available. To make the story short, parking attendant stalls the MINI half way up the parking ramp, can't relaunch up the hill and the car coasts back down the ramp to take out a front corner of a Lexus. So, clearly in this day and age, even though the F-Type has hill-assist with the manual tranny, there's no way I'm turning the car over to a parking attendant. (Fortunately the MINI only needs a new bumper skin)
That's just awful Lance. (Especially for the Lexus). Luckily here in the Great State of Maine I can't think of any place where there's valet parking - surely at one of the local country clubs (of which I'm not a member) - and I would do all I could, first and foremost providing a tip of $5 or maybe even $10, to park it myself. Perhaps if I'm not given a choice I might valet it but that would probably have to be on a case by case (place by place) basis.

Best regards,
Jay

Old 04-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
That's just awful Lance. (Especially for the Lexus). Luckily here in the Great State of Maine I can't think of any place where there's valet parking - surely at one of the local country clubs (of which I'm not a member) - and I would do all I could, first and foremost providing a tip of $5 or maybe even $10, to park it myself. Perhaps if I'm not given a choice I might valet it but that would probably have to be on a case by case (place by place) basis.

Best regards,
Jay
Jay, that could work in some instances, but in DC things are cramped enough so they have to jockey cars around and you'd still have to leave the key with them. From now on I'll just take a beater to the fancy events.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Jay, that could work in some instances, but in DC things are cramped enough so they have to jockey cars around and you'd still have to leave the key with them. From now on I'll just take a beater to the fancy events.
Understood Lance, but wouldn't you want - or be tempted to - to take that stunning BRG F-Type you'll soon own to those fancy events? I know I sure would, valet parking or no valet parking (although, as you say, if your last experience is anything like future experiences....then forget it!).

Old 04-02-2015, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Understood Lance, but wouldn't you want - or be tempted to - to take that stunning BRG F-Type you'll soon own to those fancy events? I know I sure would, valet parking or no valet parking (although, as you say, if your last experience is anything like future experiences....then forget it!).
Of course, I would. But I've been driving around in old trucks and a MINI for years, so I clearly don't need my ego stroked. The MINI makes for a far better inner-city street rat anyway.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Best regards,
Jay
That is cool. I think I like Maine, although I'm not sure about the weather or the taxes.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:36 PM

The other useful alternative to valet parking is a disabled badge. I have been lobbying my doctor friend for one for a while, but she hasn't caved. Wonder if there are some unscrupulous doctors who will sign the papers for a fee.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
That is cool. I think I like Maine, although I'm not sure about the weather or the taxes.
Quick snippet: when I informed, oh, 20 or so people in NYC that I was moving to Maine, about 16 years ago, all expressed the very same thought - "Oh, Maine is sooooo gorgeous" - to which I replied, "Oh, you're been there?" with their collective follow-up being, "No". Every single person.

Maine does have a well-deserved aura - a Naturalist's heaven - and while it's not all that colder than my hometown of NYC winter does, as you might expect, last longer. Taxes? I thought we were talking about Maine. Poor attempt at humor. Taxes aren't all that bad up here; other than the pesky excise tax! $2,400 for my F-Type. Thankfully it's tax deductable.

Best regards and you're always welcome here.
Jay

Old 04-02-2015, 01:49 PM

Quick snippet: when I informed, oh, 20 or so people in NYC that I was moving to Maine, about 16 years ago, all expressed the very same thought - "Oh, Maine is sooooo gorgeous" - to which I replied, "Oh, you're been there?" with their collective follow-up being, "No". Every single person. Maine does have a well-deserved aura - a Naturalist's heaven - and while it's not all that colder than my hometown of NYC winter does, as you might expect, last longer. Taxes? I thought we were talking about Maine. Poor attempt at humor. Taxes aren't all that bad up here; other than the pesky excise tax! $2,400 for my F-Type. Thankfully it's tax deductable. Best regards and you're always welcome here. Jay
True but you have something called income tax in Maine. In Florida we avoid that.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member

True but you have something called income tax in Maine. In Florida we avoid that.
That's because they wouldn't know how to count it, anyway.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:58 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The other useful alternative to valet parking is a disabled badge. I have been lobbying my doctor friend for one for a while, but she hasn't caved. Wonder if there are some unscrupulous doctors who will sign the papers for a fee.
If you are in Miami, there are plenty of doctors that will hook you up for a fee. Then you will just need the clerk to not give a damn when you turn in the papers. Which isn't that hard since most of them don't care. Then you just need to fake you got a back problem or foot arthritis when approached from police or nosy do-gooders when they question your fake disability.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

I rarely valet (as much due to cheapness as caution), but when I do, I
a) Engage Valet function
b) Engage Snow/Ice mode
c) Mention to the valet: "Be careful, it's got one of those valet modes that records everything.
The last one is a bit of an exaggeration, but some cars DO record everything and have been used in claims.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

I'd much rather give a $5 or even $10 tip (and even then...to park it myself). While c) might be plausible, it doesn't sound like it is to your average valet (or me) which in turn has the potential to incite him/her to who-knows-what. Probably not, but I wouldn't use that line...

My 2-cents.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:14 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LynxFX
Living in LA it is hard, but I try to avoid the valet as much as possible. So far I've only had to valet once and I watched him park the car.

I also don't believe in the large tip ahead or after because why should I pay for someone to respect my property when they should be respecting everyone's property? It is their job. Doesn't matter if it is a $250k Ferrari or a $15k KIA. Treat it with respect.

I do wish valet mode would limit the speed or RPM's. I had a tune on my Audi with a valet mode which did just that. Just a bit of piece of mind. The C7 does it right.

I agree 100%. Treat others as you would want to be treated. And to answer the C7 question. No it does not limit speed or RPMs. At least mine don't.
I never valet park either of my cars. I have seen to many horror videos of valet parking...

Last edited by PapasC7; 04-26-2015 at 04:26 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I do valet. Only in places where self-parking is impossible. However I also have a GPS and motion tracker which can alert my phone directly if the car leaves the facility, and I tip heavily (>$20) in advance along with a request that they take special care.
Good on the tracker and GPS.

Up front tipping is a joke. I went to a wedding and drove my XJ this time(to scared to bring the F-Type). I said can you please park it there, and he said we will put this into the VIP spot, no problem. I tipped him handsomely. I came out of the wedding, and it was so crowded, I tipped him again and asked for my key. I went to the spot we talked about and it was a black something else, and I walked up the hill into the lot, and sitting "next to another car, in a sea of every car thinkable" was my XJL. So, enough said about tipping in advance, it is a joke.

As for valet, "NEVER"!!!, and if a restaurant forces this, I find another spot. It is a money maker as well and nobody respects what you have as much as you would, period end of story!

Old 04-26-2015, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by slojotaa
As for valet, "NEVER"!!!, and if a restaurant forces this, I find another spot. It is a money maker as well and nobody respects what you have as much as you would, period end of story!
+1. Quoth the Raven: "Nevermore" Valet Wrecked My Car

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-26-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member

Upon further reflection, the previous three gentlemen are 100% correct!

Old 04-26-2015, 11:55 AM

While I agree. If you are so constantly worried someone will damage your car, then I would argue the car is top expensive for you.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

While I agree. If you are so constantly worried someone will damage your car, then I would argue the car is top expensive for you.
That line of logic would preclude me from buying any car, including my MINI.

Quick Reply: Do you Valet