F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have a 2016 or 2017 F-type with Adaptive Cruise/Automatic braking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 12:44 PM
mws
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Does anyone have a 2016 or 2017 F-type with Adaptive Cruise/Automatic braking?

I know there's another thread about this, but I would like some feedback on whether anyone with a 2017 can confirm the have this feature, which appears to be offered in 2020.

https://www.newcartestdrive.com/revi...jaguar-f-type/

"The F-Type can be had with all the typical active-safety features now on the market. Standard gear includes automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, parking sensors and active lane control. Other safety equipment, such as blind-spot monitors and rear cross-traffic alert, are optional."

I have a 2016. My thick user manual says nothing about it. The manual also has no model-date on it, so I don't know it it applies to 2017, or not. If someone can check their 2017 manual and look up cruise control and see if it mentions radar-controlled-following of the car in front of you and emergency braking if said car slows down, I would be much obliged.

the reason I asked, is; I was watching a 2017 F-Type R auction on Bring a Trailer this weekend and someone on the forum asked if it has "adaptive cruise" and the seller answered that it did.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...uar-f-type-14/

>>>>

Jul 31 at 8:41 AM
BigFrank This author's likes: 21Does it have adaptive speed control – I.e. does it maintain distance from the vehicle directly ahead of you?

>>>>>
Jul 31 at 10:52 AM
Nuvo (The Seller) This author's likes: 2,175

@bigfrank. The adaptive cruise control is on this car.

Last edited by mws; 08-02-2021 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:22 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,105 Posts

No mention of adaptive cruise in my MY!8 handbook. Not sure how it'd fit since they'd need an extra switch to adjust the gap. I had it on my 2004 XKR and found it quite useful on occasion, but I didn't actually use it much.

Old 08-02-2021, 01:28 PM
mws

thanks so much.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:13 PM
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

The 2016 sales brochure doesn't list it as an option.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

I have it on the MY17 F-Pace (which may/may not say anything about the F-Type, but they share a lot of the same electronics). If there's a picture of the steering wheel, look for the control to set the following gap (#6) on the right hand side, along with the cruise control.

It was a packaged option. I like it well enough, but it can have a funny effect - if you're gaining on the car in front of you, you'll start gradually slowing down as you approach and may not realize it. Next thing you know, you're also in the slow group. Meanwhile, the car in front of you changes lanes or turns off, it will automatically start accelerating. That part I like.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:00 PM
Received 441 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
It was a packaged option. I like it well enough, but it can have a funny effect - if you're gaining on the car in front of you, you'll start gradually slowing down as you approach and may not realize it. Next thing you know, you're also in the slow group. Meanwhile, the car in front of you changes lanes or turns off, it will automatically start accelerating. That part I like.
This is one of the complaints IIHS has investigated regarding adaptive cruise control systems. When *you* choose to move out from behind slower traffic, it's a conscious act on your part so you're ready for the acceleration. When *someone else* moves out from in front of you, you may not be ready for the acceleration.

Where this can be truly problematic is when you have the cruise set to a very high speed, say over 80mph, for highway travel. As traffic starts to build in front of you, you gradually start slowing down--which is exactly what you want as traffic gets heavier. However, there have been cases where people get slowed by traffic for an extended period of time and forget that the car is keeping them at that speed and the cruise is set for higher. So you've been toddering along at 40mph in heavy traffic in the right lane and now your exit comes up. You signal and pull to the right out of traffic up the off-ramp--and the car immediately tries to resume to 80mph since there is no one in front of you. On limited-access highways with really short off-ramps this can be problematic and surprising if you forgot.

Old 08-02-2021, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 981 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by yostra
The 2016 sales brochure doesn't list it as an option.
It was definitely not available. I had months after my deposit to peruse all 2016 options before 6MT specs came out and I got a slot at the local dealer. I don't even have a guess at how much time I spent on the configurator.

Old 08-02-2021, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 889 Posts

Some reviews say it has it, others say it isnt available. Go figure. We have it in the 2020 XE, it's excellent for sitting in traffic at 100 - 110kph, if you dont want to get caught speeding or run up someone's backside, assuming that you were momentarily blinded. Not really something that I would look for in an F Type though.

other changes in the 2016 - 17 models (depending on the date of build, as there were two 2016 models) included the infotainment (whether it was the incontrol system or the previous system that just looked like the incontrol), I think in the '17 year the one without hard buttons at the side of the screen came out as well, and also I think the graphics between the dials changed in the mid 2016MY. And EPAS.

so when I was considering going for the R, I wanted a RWD (more because I wanted the vertical vent fins rather than horizontal) but with the newer infotainment, and it really meant that I was looking at the second 2016MY, which was very limiting.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:16 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

My 2021 F Type R does not have the adaptive type cruise control, just the traditional type. The button layout is:
  1. SET+
  2. RES
  3. SET-
  4. CAN

My 2021 Mazda has the adaptive cruise control and it works quite well. When I can use it anyway. The freeway conditions in Southern California are rarely amenable to using cruise control at all. I tried it a couple of times to see how well it worked but as soon as traffic in front of me started bunching up and almost coming to a complete stop I shut it off, preferring to depend upon my own driving ability.

Old 08-03-2021, 02:40 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

There’s no adaptive cruise control on 2016 F-Types nor on the 2018 F-Types. As shown by others, there are buttons on the steering wheel of other Jag models to increase and decrease the following distance. At least up through 2018 F-Types didn’t have the feature as an option. Same thing with voice commands and HUD. For some unknown reason F-Types lag other Jag models when it comes to standard and optional features.

Old 08-03-2021, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

"For some unknown reason F-Types lag other Jag models when it comes to standard and optional features."

Unfortunately, I think the unknown reason is a lack of engineering resource ($) to apply on a low volume model. It does not bode well for the future.

Old 08-05-2021, 11:10 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

As someone who has tested and put thousands of miles on eight F-type models since the car's 2013 debut, I can assure you adaptive cruise has never been offered on the F-type, including the 2022 model. 2018 was the first minor refresh that switched the infotainment to InControl Touch Pro, and correspondingly, introduced some of Jaguar's driver assistance features that were compatible with that newer system. It included forward emergency braking, lane keep assist, driver attention monitor, and traffic sign recognition. Jaguar in its press kit said these features would be "available later in its 2018 model year" so earlier cars may not have them.

The only driver assistance features on earlier models are blind spot (with closing vehicle alert...very handy feature for warning you of a fast moving vehicle a couple seconds before it reaches your car), rear cross-traffic alert, auto high beams, and front/rear parking sensors. I have a 2017 coupe and could not live without blind spot or the rearview camera that wasn't standard yet until MY 2018, it's too nerve-wracking to reverse an F-type without them.

The following users liked this post:
Ichi Ban (08-05-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 05:17 PM
mws

Originally Posted by chowderjag
As someone who has tested and put thousands of miles on eight F-type models since the car's 2013 debut, I can assure you adaptive cruise has never been offered on the F-type, including the 2022 model. 2018 was the first minor refresh that switched the infotainment to InControl Touch Pro, and correspondingly, introduced some of Jaguar's driver assistance features that were compatible with that newer system. It included forward emergency braking, lane keep assist, driver attention monitor, and traffic sign recognition. Jaguar in its press kit said these features would be "available later in its 2018 model year" so earlier cars may not have them.

The only driver assistance features on earlier models are blind spot (with closing vehicle alert...very handy feature for warning you of a fast moving vehicle a couple seconds before it reaches your car), rear cross-traffic alert, auto high beams, and front/rear parking sensors. I have a 2017 coupe and could not live without blind spot or the rearview camera that wasn't standard yet until MY 2018, it's too nerve-wracking to reverse an F-type without them.
wow, these are all fantastic responses, thanks. I was a bit surprised that such a trusted seller would make a mistake on that question when his car was being auctioned. My car certainly does not have it. I looked on TOPIX and it is basic cruise.

in your case, how did you find yourself driving some many F-Types so many miles... interesting.