F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Anyone Regularly Track or Auto Cross?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:13 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

We had a discussion some time ago - if you drive the car tamely in dynamic mode, does it learn that style? The car certainly changes (for the better) after break-in, and with some aggressive driving. I find that the transmission has always been very responsive and quick to shift, but it seems to hold gears a bit longer after I lift than I used too.

I do like the corner and hill detection in the transmission - doesn't upshift as readily.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:39 AM
Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cptslow
As mentioned in another thread, my Cayman S has been totalled in an accident (may she rest in peace). LOVED that car. Currently have an FType S, but never tracked or Auto X ed it, and would love to hear feedback from anyone who has. I'm just not certain the F is suited to it, nor robust enough for it.
I've tracked mine a total of four times. Two track days at Sebring. I think all F types are too heavy to be tracked on a regular basis. The weight plus a twitchy rear end don't make for spectacular lap times. It's probably the slowest 550 HP car on sale today.

That said it doesn't mean it isn't a whole lot of fun on a track. Any car with a G-meter can be fun on the track. I was typically 5 -6 seconds slower per lap than in my Z06 but was definitely having more fun.

As far as robust goes, mine held up well on all four days. No issues except turning my calipers orange. In fact, it held up better then the new z06 that was parked next to me that was done after one session due to overheating.

MC

The following 2 users liked this post by TheStig:
Foosh (04-27-2016), SinF (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 06:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStig
I've tracked mine a total of four times. Two track days at Sebring. I think all F types are too heavy to be tracked on a regular basis. The weight plus a twitchy rear end don't make for spectacular lap times. It's probably the slowest 550 HP car on sale today.

That said it doesn't mean it isn't a whole lot of fun on a track. Any car with a G-meter can be fun on the track. I was typically 5 -6 seconds slower per lap than in my Z06 but was definitely having more fun.

As far as robust goes, mine held up well on all four days. No issues except turning my calipers orange. In fact, it held up better then the new z06 that was parked next to me that was done after one session due to overheating.

MC
Thank you. Good feedback. I knew it wasn't going to be setting any lap times to brag about. But as long as it's fun, and isn't breaking down, that's all I'm really after. I have the V6S, so maybe not quite as heavy nor a tail happy, but we shall see.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by cptslow
Thank you. Good feedback. I knew it wasn't going to be setting any lap times to brag about. But as long as it's fun, and isn't breaking down, that's all I'm really after. I have the V6S, so maybe not quite as heavy nor a tail happy, but we shall see.
There's a thread running here now where a number of us have weighed our cars on truck scales at commercial truck stops. The V6S weighs in at about 3800 lbs., which is about 125-150 lbs. more than JLR says it does and way too heavy.

It needs to drop 400-500 lbs. in order to get into Cayman territory. But, as someone said above, an experienced track driver in a lesser car will always be quicker than inexperienced ones in quicker cars. I went to a 3 day C6 Z06 school at Spring Mt. in Pahrump, NV a few years ago (2006). The instructors were lapping some students driving Z06s in these 1990-ish Camaros:

Old 04-27-2016, 07:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely agree that the F is way too fat. My Cayman weight in empty at slightly under 3100 pounds.

I also agree that the driver is the big deal. I did a track day years ago in an R8 (not mine), in a lead follow format. The instructor was in a stock C-Class sedan. I couldn't keep up. I also did an Arial Atom day class a few years ago. Thought I was doing ok until I rode with the instructor.......20 SECOND better lap times that mine. May as well have been a week difference in times.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStig
The weight plus a twitchy rear end don't make for spectacular lap times. It's probably the slowest 550 HP car on sale today.
If getting the best possible lap times is a top priority for you, you would probably want Lotus or some other equally uncompromising (and punishingly harsh in everyday driving) car. A car without any creature comforts, because Weight! F-Type is a comfortable roadster that is also happen to be capable machine on the track.

In my book, this make F-type a better track car.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

F-type, especially V6 should be lighter. There is no questions about it. I hope Jag's upcoming I6 engine would do the trick. It is very valid to point out that F-type is too heavy.

Now, tail-happy is not a valid critique in my mind. If you are only trying to optimize your lap times this might be undesirable... but have you ever power drifted into the corner?! When you do that, people won't notice that there is a train of Bugattis and Ferraris following your car.... they will only be looking at and listening to F-type.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
F-type, especially V6 should be lighter. There is no questions about it. I hope Jag's upcoming I6 engine would do the trick. It is very valid to point out that F-type is too heavy.
+1.

Originally Posted by SinF
Now, tail-happy is not a valid critique in my mind. If you are only trying to optimize your lap times this might be undesirable... but have you ever power drifted into the corner?! When you do that, people won't notice that there is a train of Bugattis and Ferraris following your car.... they will only be looking at and listening to F-type.
To me, the sight of someone two wheel power drifting is just a sign of an undisciplined driver. It's far more exciting watching someone (or executing perfectly myself) 4 wheel drifting into a turn at the edge of traction and getting back on the throttle well before the apex without losing the front/rear traction balance.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:21 AM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a q that is a tad bit off topic...
What kind of insurance do you folks have for autocross? Does your regular insurance cover it? Or do you get one day coverage? If it is one day coverage, what is it and for Nick does it cost?

I had all state, where my agent told me it was covered for auto x. I recently switched to farmers, where my agent told me it is not covered. I am aware I the coverage may actually be identical, but having an email from my agent saying it was covered made it a worthwhile risk in my view. What do you guys have in place?

Old 04-27-2016, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I did a lot of SCCA-sanctioned autocross events in my Lotus and never worried about insurance. Every one I participated in was so well laid out and in venues such there was nothing to hit other than a cone.

I'd worry more about the car club arranged events, which often aren't as disciplined and in venues where loss of control could lead to hard collisions.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:06 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been lapping my F-TYPE for the second season in a row now; all in all about 9 or 10 track days. After my V8 M3 sedan, it's certainly a different experience.
I've gotten to a point now where I can track it without any driver aids(I avoid doing this on busy days with traffic on track) as I find it to intervene too much, also fun feeling the rear moving about at times.

The body control and the stopping capability on track are probably the most impressive feature. I hardly see any additional horsepower coming in handy (at least where I run) The biggest let down in my opinion are the stock Pirelli's that the car comes equipped with.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It's far more exciting watching someone (or executing perfectly myself) 4 wheel drifting into a turn at the edge of traction and getting back on the throttle well before the apex without losing the front/rear traction balance.
Yes, it is also more exciting to put on your red cape and tights and to fly out to save falling plane or avert meteorite strike... Now, for us mere mortals...

Old 04-27-2016, 06:19 PM
Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Trakrzy
I have been lapping my F-TYPE for the second season in a row now; all in all about 9 or 10 track days. After my V8 M3 sedan, it's certainly a different experience.
I've gotten to a point now where I can track it without any driver aids(I avoid doing this on busy days with traffic on track) as I find it to intervene too much, also fun feeling the rear moving about at times.

The body control and the stopping capability on track are probably the most impressive feature. I hardly see any additional horsepower coming in handy (at least where I run) The biggest let down in my opinion are the stock Pirelli's that the car comes equipped with.
Agree on the Pirellis ...Going to try a track day on Michellins and compare lap times.

MC