F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the F-type sound like a Diesel Truck at cold startup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does the F-type sound like a Diesel Truck at cold startup?

Hello and I checked a few threads and it seems some people have said it can be normal and some not so much. If anyone can listen to this real quick and say if their F-type sounds like this as well I would appreciate it. I found one thread but I swear mine is even more prominent but I may just be overthinking it.

This is at cold start and after warm up it goes away. Usually after ~3-5 minutes of driving.

The dealership says it is fine and that the injectors on these cars are just extremely loud. It just sounds like a heavy duty diesel truck to me. I could of sworn it wasn't this loud to start off but maybe I am just hearing better now?

I actually had a Porsche engine score on me once and also the lifters have gotten stuck before. That Porsche was a maintenance hell.
So safe to say I am a little frightened by the sound. So I am just checking to be sure and I apologize if this has been covered before. My car is still under full warranty for a while but I want to know if I should be pushing it with the dealership or switching dealers.
Funny enough I just Youtube cold engine starts and its everyone revving their exhausts so I couldn't really find a good just idle to compare with.

Old 01-13-2020, 02:12 PM
Banned
Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

I don't know if it is serious or not but that's not a normal sounding start.

Old 01-13-2020, 02:16 PM

I figured as much. Extremely loud to me and I assumed there was an issue.

The Jaguar dealership said it was a completely normal sound and can't say I have heard a car sound straight up like a diesel truck this loud on start up.

Guess I will need to try a different dealership. Very disheartening.

Also wanted to add the exhaust burped twice in the video and that isn't what I am referring to. I am referring to the heavy heavy ticking noise.

Also here is an image of the report so you know I am not pulling your leg. I thought it was an extremely loud audible ticking noise but apparently this dealership doesn't think so.

Dealer Notes

Last edited by Viking_Quest; 01-13-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

I dunno, they actually dont sound that great on a cold start (apart from the first bellow) and they do sound quite busy and tinny especially if you get around the bonnet. You dont normally notice it from inside the car. I'm not saying not to bother at all, but I'd find another R owner and listen to theirs first before getting too disappointed. I might play it for my wife as she is much better than me at identifying car problems, we call her the car whisperer!

Old 01-13-2020, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

Maybe a bad torsion isolator on the supercharger snout? When the go bad they are pretty noisy.

Old 01-13-2020, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

It seems loud, but to be honest not that much louder than my old 2017 V6S. Without standing there with you it's hard for me to say.

Old 01-13-2020, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,290 Likes on 889 Posts

The car whisperer is concerned about the ticking noise. Mine made that noise when I had a bad supercharger belt on (immediately before it became spaghetti).

The following users liked this post:
George05 (01-15-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Ticking is a bit louder than on mine, but noises are not categorically different and could be due to recording equipment.

Old 01-13-2020, 05:37 PM

Its louder in person by a bit on the initial start up than on the phone.

I suppose I will try to schedule with another dealer and hope for the best.

Old 01-13-2020, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Sounds no worse than mine, in fact it sounds a fair bit quieter than mine!
Most of what I can hear sounds like injector tick to me, maybe running a bottle or two of fuel line / injector cleaner though the fuel tank will quieten it down a little? BG 44K seems to be about the best one.
It's not the classic worn SC coupler / torsion isolator at all, that has a completely different and quite distinctive "marbles in a tin can" noise which went away when I had it replaced under warranty.
Mine rattles like crazy at cold start and cold idle, and still rattles a fair bit once warmed up, and my prime suspect is now the oil pump.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

I also am not too worried about the noise in this video given the 36,000 miles I put on a V6 that sounded fairly similar. Granted, some people are reporting injector failures shortly after that mileage.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

It normal for the first few minutes until warmed up a bit. I’m not hearing anything excessive and I’ve had mine for 5 years. Always sounds like that upon first start of the day.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:23 PM

Thats great to hear from all of you. I would rather know the noise is normal than the alternative. So thank you!

Last time I heard that noise on a Porsche it cost me ~5-10k. It was a lovely experience.

I was less stressed since it effectively goes away after 3-5 minutes of driving but you NEVER really know until you ask some people who have dealt with it.

Thank you for all the help everyone.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:32 AM
Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Please someone prove me wrong, but I think you have 2 noises - injectors (that sound is described as "crickets" on another car brand forums - normal for direct injectors) and than that ticking, which I believe is because this engine has no hydraulic lifters. So until it warms up, there are tolerancies and sound like this. Please note that I have not have F-type yet, only browsed extensively for possible issues before buy. SC coupler should do horrible rattle on engine - off, at least what I red here

The following users liked this post:
George05 (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 02:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both of my v6 sound as you describe 'like a diesel truck' on startup. Its goes away after a mile or so of driving. In fairness, my mates Porsche sounds like a bag of rusty nails on start up.

Old 01-15-2020, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 408 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by J444G
Please someone prove me wrong, but I think you have 2 noises - injectors (that sound is described as "crickets" on another car brand forums - normal for direct injectors) and than that ticking, which I believe is because this engine has no hydraulic lifters. So until it warms up, there are tolerancies and sound like this. Please note that I have not have F-type yet, only browsed extensively for possible issues before buy. SC coupler should do horrible rattle on engine - off, at least what I red here
Strongly advise to do oil change on these engines every 3-4 k to word off any problems and use a injector cleaner like Techron every 1000 miles

Old 01-16-2020, 07:12 AM
Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

IMO this doesn't have enough "ticking" to sound like any real issue...if i was to start looking for this issue i would start right under your feet at the joint between the downpipe and the midpipes...the gasket in the tube gets wore out from loosening/flexing and makes a bad tick until you get the downpipes hot. could be wrong, but next cold start put your ear under it and see if it sounds really bad under the car.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy
IMO this doesn't have enough "ticking" to sound like any real issue...if i was to start looking for this issue i would start right under your feet at the joint between the downpipe and the midpipes...the gasket in the tube gets wore out from loosening/flexing and makes a bad tick until you get the downpipes hot. could be wrong, but next cold start put your ear under it and see if it sounds really bad under the car.
+1. I have had this issue on other cars. Great suggestion for possible cause.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP my 700 mile 400 is doing the same thing. Just dropped it back off at the dealer who said "its normal". Like many of you I've had several race and performance cars in my life... that sound never ends well so I told the dealer to put their name on the line... if this thing puts a rod through the block its on them.

Here is my video... did it two starts in a row but the dealer says they cant recreate.. of course. I started, free rev, in drive with foot on brake and rev, back to park. It definitely sounds loudest from the passenger wheel well area.

After doing some research it sounds like there is a touch of SC pulley noise too.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvDhu_bdREXQgZNn...JEQ9A?e=EgCeCH

Old 03-12-2020, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

If it helps I'm 6.5 years in and it still does this. My mileage is low but I use car almost every day.

Quick Reply: Does the F-type sound like a Diesel Truck at cold startup?