F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the F-type sound like a Diesel Truck at cold startup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 09:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bjg625
If it helps I'm 6.5 years in and it still does this. My mileage is low but I use car almost every day.
Definitely helps ease the concern. Absolutely love the car so hate that the question mark on this... I've been finding comfort in the amount of other use cases with this.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Lead Change
Definitely helps ease the concern. Absolutely love the car so hate that the question mark on this... I've been finding comfort in the amount of other use cases with this.
Does the racket go away after about 10 minutes of warm-up? If so, it’s perfectly normal. Mine’s been that way since day one for 35k miles, 5 years, and a most of that time on a pulley and tune. I would only be concerned if it doesn’t settle down after warmup.

The following users liked this post:
Shaaguar (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 12:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey folks,
Thanks
Unsure, if I should start a new thread. My v6s doesn’t sound like a diesel but more like a tractor running a thrasher or something (sorry analogy sucks). All I know is that it’s not normal and started recently. Dealer has sent the audio files for JLR for assistance. Anyone wanna take a guess at what maybe causing this? The engine is proper operating temperature.

there’s quite a bit happening here, including a clunk at engine off.

appreciate any insights.

Old 11-02-2020, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Shaaguar
Hey folks,
Thanks
Unsure, if I should start a new thread. My v6s doesn’t sound like a diesel but more like a tractor running a thrasher or something (sorry analogy sucks). All I know is that it’s not normal and started recently. Dealer has sent the audio files for JLR for assistance. Anyone wanna take a guess at what maybe causing this? The engine is proper operating temperature.

https://youtu.be/H-YsyBTnMbU

there’s quite a bit happening here, including a clunk at engine off.

appreciate any insights.
It’s probably sounded like that since day one. Sounds like all the F-Type engines I’ve ever heard, especially when they are cold. The clunk on shut down is the SC coupler. Also typical, but will need to be replaced when it gets worse.

Old 11-02-2020, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Status update on my original issue. Went to three dealers, two real Jaguar and one independent with high reviews, and all said it is completely normal. I guess they just are really ticky cars when they are cold. When warm it completely goes away after a few minutes.

Daily drove it for almost a whole year now and do spirited driving in the hills with no issues. I was just having flashbacks of my Porsche with engine scoring.

This car just sounds like an oldschool car with them lifters or whatever that is I guess. Either way loving every second of it for the value.

Old 11-02-2020, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It’s probably sounded like that since day one. Sounds like all the F-Type engines I’ve ever heard, especially when they are cold. The clunk on shut down is the SC coupler. Also typical, but will need to be replaced when it gets worse.
Thanks Unhinged! The engine was warm. I had come home after a 30 minute freeway drive.

Secondly, in the video at 36sec mark when I blip the pedal, revs coming down become a high pitch whirring sound, different from the regular printing press sound you’re hearing. Is that normal too?

thanks

Old 11-04-2020, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Unhinged! The engine was warm. I had come home after a 30 minute freeway drive.

Secondly, in the video at 36sec mark when I blip the pedal, revs coming down become a high pitch whirring sound, different from the regular printing press sound you’re hearing. Is that normal too?

thanks
Not normal. Sounds like you may need a new SC belt. That resolved a similar sound on my car. Mine sounded much worse than that before I replaced it.

Last edited by Unhingd; 11-04-2020 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Not normal. Sounds like you may need a new SC belt. That resolved a similar sound on my car. Mine sounded much worse than that before I replaced it.
That makes sense. I am kinda also concerned about the uneven sound right at the beginning of the video. The belt theory probably explains that too. My worst fear was something being off inside the engine. Although, I felt that the uneven engine sound was coming from further back in the engine bay than the front where the SC would be.

Old 11-13-2020, 01:52 AM

That makes sense. I am kinda also concerned about the uneven sound right at the beginning of the video. The belt theory probably explains that too. My worst fear was something being off inside the engine. Although, I felt that the uneven engine sound was coming from further back in the engine bay than the front where the SC would be.
Alright, an update. The dealer after a lot of handholding in trying to replicate the issue is finally calling it bad high pressure fuel pumps. In addition, also changing the super charger nose cone, all under warranty. They have ordered the parts. Let’s see how it goes ...

The following users liked this post:
winstonsalemncxk (03-31-2023)
Old 10-10-2023, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

They sound like a diesel because that's what they are? A GDI uses the same technology as a diesel. Extremely high fuel pressure and the fuel directly injected into the combustion chamber. Exactly the same as a diesel. The biggest difference is the Diesels run MUCH higher compression ratios so they make even more noise than the GDI engines do.