F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does parking sensor protect front lip spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 11:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does parking sensor protect front lip spoiler?

Hi all,

Now I've had my 2106 S for more than a year. The car still looks absolutely gorgeous! It continues to draw attention despite being in an area teeming with Italian and German exotics.

One problem that has been bothering me since day one and still is bothering me is parking this car. I am always worried about damaging the front lip spoiler. Does anyone know whether the parking sensors detect the space immediately in front of the lip spoiler? Thanks.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:51 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

It depends. If the curb is high enough, yes. But I have encountered some low curbs that did not activate the alarm. I am paranoid about that because I owned a Corvette with no sensors.
Larry

Old 08-14-2016, 11:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel better that I am not alone in this.
It is such a hassle having to pull up, get out of the car to see how much room there is, get back in and finish parking the car.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:03 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Pontsu
It is such a hassle having to pull up, get out of the car to see how much room there is, get back in and finish parking the car.
LOL ...... 1st world problems

Old 08-14-2016, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

My experience has been the same as Larry's. If the kerb/etc is more than 4" I don't think it has ever not picked it up for me, but if it is less, or an irregular shape, it doesn't always detect it. Sometimes it will, but not reliably enough to trust it.

That's why I fitted a top-down panoramic camera system to my FTR, like the ones commonly fitted to self-parking cars. Now I can see clearly for about two feet all around the car when parking instead of just the rear fisheye view. It is very easy to install the front camera into the base of the grill surround (if you have a permanent front license plate you'll never see it), and the mirrors have loads of space to add discrete cameras. There is no need for any aftermarket video integration products either if you already have the factory-fitted rear camera and the new camera/system outputs in composite NTSC, so you just need to install a discrete switch to switch the standard camera from back to the new one. (I have the coupe, so I fitted the folding roof button to the gear stick surround as that has front/back/off positions that I use to switch a latching relay for the 360 and rear camera toggles.) The touch screen display is clever enough to detect the video signal format has changed and adapts automatically.

The following 3 users liked this post by xdave:
ndabunka (01-20-2018), phoenixfta (01-19-2018), Tork Monster (01-23-2018)
Old 08-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

I back in when I can. Vision pack rear camera works well.

Dave

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (08-15-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Pontsu
I always back in for this reason.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:30 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

The Sto and Show license plate holder works when then parking sensor fails. You hear that crunching before doing any damage to the car. Ask me how I know.

Burt Gummer (01-22-2018)
Old 08-14-2016, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by xdave
My experience has been the same as Larry's. If the kerb/etc is more than 4" I don't think it has ever not picked it up for me, but if it is less, or an irregular shape, it doesn't always detect it. Sometimes it will, but not reliably enough to trust it.

That's why I fitted a top-down panoramic camera system to my FTR, like the ones commonly fitted to self-parking cars. Now I can see clearly for about two feet all around the car when parking instead of just the rear fisheye view. It is very easy to install the front camera into the base of the grill surround (if you have a permanent front license plate you'll never see it), and the mirrors have loads of space to add discrete cameras. There is no need for any aftermarket video integration products either if you already have the factory-fitted rear camera and the new camera/system outputs in composite NTSC, so you just need to install a discrete switch to switch the standard camera from back to the new one. (I have the coupe, so I fitted the folding roof button to the gear stick surround as that has front/back/off positions that I use to switch a latching relay for the 360 and rear camera toggles.) The touch screen display is clever enough to detect the video signal format has changed and adapts automatically.
Would you mind posting photos as well as more information on this install.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I think front parking sensors are all but useless, delay is too long before they start reacting, so they won't save you from something you didn't see pulling in. To use them, you have to pull up, wait, then pull in more. Just easier to visually check.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
Would you mind posting photos as well as more information on this install.
I am already planing to create a thread about it. I took photos while fitting it and made up a harness diagram but I just haven't had a chance to write the words yet.

Here are some external fitted photos of the cameras. The rear is the one that looks like an extra parking sensor in the middle, below the factory camera. The front is only visible when you are on the ground as in the UK we have mandatory front license plates which completely hide it. The side cameras are only visible from the ground.

Attached Thumbnails Does parking sensor protect front lip spoiler?-wp_20160815_12_53_36_pro.jpg   Does parking sensor protect front lip spoiler?-wp_20160815_12_52_28_pro.jpg   Does parking sensor protect front lip spoiler?-wp_20160815_12_53_11_pro.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by xdave:
Mbourne (08-15-2016), ndabunka (01-20-2018), schraderade (08-17-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 11:34 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

I am already planing to create a thread about it. I took photos while fitting it and made up a harness diagram but I just haven't had a chance to write the words yet.

Here are some external fitted photos of the cameras. The rear is the one that looks like an extra parking sensor in the middle, below the factory camera. The front is only visible when you are on the ground as in the UK we have mandatory front license plates which completely hide it. The side cameras are only visible from the ground.
I completely get the forward facing camera, as I am intending to do the same mod. What is the purpose of the cameras on the underside of the side view mirrors?

Old 08-15-2016, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IronMike
I completely get the forward facing camera, as I am intending to do the same mod. What is the purpose of the cameras on the underside of the side view mirrors?
The images from the four cameras are stitched together with some clever software to create a seamless top-down view of the road around the car. Jag are fitting their own version as an option on their newest XJ, XF and I think the FP.

The system I based mine on is similar to this (but slightly different UI):

I actually installed mine primarily for the side view as I wanted to avoid kerbing the wheels. It works great on the F Type because you can see the tyres on the image (and they move when you steer as well, so you can see exact clearances). Although you can switch between front, side and rear image for the second half of the screen I have mine fixed to front camera and top-down views, and use the factory rear camera for reversing. It is fully integrated with no remotes - the only visible sign is the presence of a folding roof switch in a coupe.

Last edited by xdave; 08-15-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
I back in when I can. Vision pack rear camera works well.

Dave
Reverse parking: A better way to park in parking lots.

always the tactical parking. always!

BUT... as I was worried about the dodgy sensors on the front, sometimes I back in and am horrified that the curb and my exhaust are mere MM from touching on another. I've got to be more aware of that one for sure.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

The images from the four cameras are stitched together with some clever software to create a seamless top-down view of the road around the car. Jag are fitting their own version as an option on their newest XJ, XF and I think the FP.

Car 360 degree bird view system for safe parking security system - YouTube

I actually installed mine primarily for the side view as I wanted to avoid kerbing the wheels. It works great on the F Type because you can see the tyres on the image (and they move when you steer as well, so you can see exact clearances). Although you can switch between front, side and rear image for the second half of the screen I have mine fixed to front camera and top-down views, and use the factory rear camera for reversing. It is fully integrated with no remotes - the only visible sign is the presence of a folding roof switch in a coupe.
We have the same system in our MB GLK; works great for avoiding curbs. Wish the F type had it too.

Dave

Old 08-16-2016, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
The Sto and Show license plate holder works when then parking sensor fails. You hear that crunching before doing any damage to the car. Ask me how I know.
+1.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Car 360 degree bird view system for safe parking security system - YouTube

So jealous. Was shocked that ours didn't have this option, as I see it on Mercs. Really cool stuff.

And yes... the sto and sho is there to present your plate to utter disaster. I need a new one already.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

It's my impression that they only work when reversing. Not as useful as the could be as a result.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you elaborate and/or direct me to where you got the top-down system? Thanks

Old 01-20-2018, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member

I bought mine through AliExpress from a seller that is not on there anymore. There are a lot of similar looking systems out there. The video above is not the one I have in my car but the title keywords to start searching on (car 360 bird view camera system).

My primary concerns were:
- English interface
- Not having a warning permanently on display
- Returned to the same screen when powered on without requiring the use of a remote
- Came with a 90 degree front camera and three low profile flush cameras for the sides and rear (most came with 90 degree for front and rear)
- Came with the calibration cloths
- Did not have a fixed set of reversing lines superimposed on the rear camera view

Out of about 30 enquiries at the time only the one system matched all those. Do contact the sellers with your requirements first and don't rely on the listings to be accurate.

To keep maintenance of the car simple I opted to replace the camera wiring with two mini coax to each camera (video + power) with fakra connectors at each OEM disconnection point (to allow doors and mirrors to be removed for replacement, etc). You don't need to do that but make sure your front camera has a decent length of cable or buy an extension kit as well so you can route it neatly through the engine bay.

If you have a coupe with the OEM rear camera fitted you can install the folding roof switch from the convertible in place of your coin holder (the opposite of the parking brake switch), and use that with a latching relay to switch the video output of the OEM camera from the rear to the 360 system. It makes it fully integrated. My system (and most of them) come with an IR remote for configuration and changing the active view so I mounted the IR eye in the rear of the central cubby hole at shoulder height fitted to the coupes where it is invisible.

Misujerr (01-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Does parking sensor protect front lip spoiler?