F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this say anythig about us customers, or JLR marketing? Our manual take rate= 4%?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 01:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default Does this say anythig about us customers, or JLR marketing? Our manual take rate= 4%?

70% of Porsche 911 GT3 Buyers In the US Bought the Manual Transmission The six-speed on the last GT3 was a far bigger hit than Porsche expected—especially in America. https://www.thedrive.com/news/39478/...l-transmission

Old 02-27-2021, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Yes, it is puzzling to me why MTs are in demand with Porsche. People who can afford these cars new don't tend to want to shift gear, it is secondary market that drives MT demand.

More so, the new MT for Porsche GT3 is not really a manual at all, but a clever mechanical linkage to an automatic transmission that makes it operate like one. As real as engine noises through speakers.

Last edited by SinF; 02-27-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:44 AM
BHF
Received 94 Likes on 42 Posts
Default AT for me

I’ve driven manuals all my life. I bought them because they are more fun. I didn’t with the F Type because of the reviews I’ve read that the MT wasn’t as good. Plus deep down it’s a GT and not a true sports car like the Porsches. Porsche sells precision, handling and control. Jag sells style and emotion. I could have bought either but chose the F because of its drop dead beauty and style over cold clinical precision. I am older as well and don’t need all out performance anymore like I used to either.
Purely my own opinion and my choice. No disrespect to manual owners or Porsche owners intended.

The following 2 users liked this post by BHF:
SVR 575 (04-24-2022), Uncle Fishbits (03-01-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 09:04 AM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I would offer that most people buy F-Types to drive them, whereas most people buy GT3's to own them, and they want to own one with a MT because of the fit with the perceived image. If it was a performance issue, they would get the automatic. Also I don't know the number of units we are talking about in the case of the GT3, but I expect it is small and the percentage can be swung by a relatively small number of units.

The following users liked this post:
sov211 (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 09:22 AM
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

The only reason I don't have a manual F type is because Jaguar wouldn't sell me one with a V8

The following 3 users liked this post by Hell Cat:
BruceTheQuail (02-27-2021), ferrral (03-01-2021), M3 Wrath (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

You have to put that percentage into context. The GT3 models range in the hundreds for production, not thousands. So saying 400 out of 600 people bought a manual for a very special model of a car isn't all that impressive. They leave out the rest of the 911 line and comparing those numbers as a whole which would be closer to reality. The GT3 is mainly a track weapon. Those who track cars, most them love manuals. My track car is a manual.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 990 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
You have to put that percentage into context. The GT3 models range in the hundreds for production, not thousands. So saying 400 out of 600 people bought a manual for a very special model of a car isn't all that impressive. They leave out the rest of the 911 line and comparing those numbers as a whole which would be closer to reality. The GT3 is mainly a track weapon. Those who track cars, most them love manuals. My track car is a manual.
This matches my thinking. The fact that someone wants a GT3 puts them in a very specific demographic right from the start.

Uncle Fishbits (03-09-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 03:28 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

I suspect that the 'take' rate would have been higher if 1) more people were willing to wait for a spec'ed order to arrive or 2) more dealers believed in putting them into their order banks to have ON the lots. The reality is that most buyers are a 'gotta have it now' sort of buyer, even with Jaguar. Had my F-Type not been on the lot, I would not likely have a '16. Had the two X-Type manuals I acquired not been manual, I would never have been an X-Type owner. I have also considered spec'ing a Lotus to get what I want, to include the manual.

There is no question, though, that driving a stick is a dying art...in the past month, I have had a AAA tow driver that was taking the X-Type to the dealership and who could not drive a manual. The following week, I had a tire guy who could not get the F-Type out of its space to move towards the shop bay. Both individuals were under the age of 25.

Old 02-27-2021, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 893 Posts

Originally Posted by BHF
Porsche sells precision, handling and control. Jag sells style and emotion.
Well put, though I think the choice of driving manual is a very emotional one. If Jag had a manual R I'd be on it like a fat kid on a cupcake.

Mbourne (02-27-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 05:26 PM
Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

And Viper owners had 100 percent........

It is a function of what the manufacturer makes, pure and simple.

Luc Lapierre (02-27-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 07:37 AM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

I think if there was a big enough call for the M/T and the sales of the f type was higher they would have continued with the m/t and possibly had the v8 with the m/t as well.
As it is the F type as we know it may go away or become an all electric!

Just my Thoughts.

Old 03-01-2021, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Suaro
I would offer that most people buy F-Types to drive them, whereas most people buy GT3's to own them, and they want to own one with a MT because of the fit with the perceived image. If it was a performance issue, they would get the automatic. Also I don't know the number of units we are talking about in the case of the GT3, but I expect it is small and the percentage can be swung by a relatively small number of units.
Great point. It's funny the umbrage against electric, because I don't think of it as MT vs Auto in regards to performance anymore, but MT vs electric when you really want performance. Shifting or Automatic, you can't link up vs a car that doesn't have to link up and takes off like a spaceship.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by BHF
I’ve driven manuals all my life. I bought them because they are more fun. I didn’t with the F Type because of the reviews I’ve read that the MT wasn’t as good. Plus deep down it’s a GT and not a true sports car like the Porsches. Porsche sells precision, handling and control. Jag sells style and emotion. I could have bought either but chose the F because of its drop dead beauty and style over cold clinical precision. I am older as well and don’t need all out performance anymore like I used to either.
Purely my own opinion and my choice. No disrespect to manual owners or Porsche owners intended.
Originally Posted by Hell Cat
The only reason I don't have a manual F type is because Jaguar wouldn't sell me one with a V8
BHF and Hell Cat pretty much sum up the failure of Jag to successfully market the MT. Had an F-Type MT been offered with with a reliable clutch, a true short-shifter along with a V8, jag would have sold the 10% MT share needed to sustain the option. Too many people either avoided the MT because of the lackluster review or were unwilling to forego the V8 to get one.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Releasing MTs with a known broken clutch did not help to drive the demand... but even if you assume it fully functional it is not the most inspired gearbox. First, there is no auto-rev matching that people expect modern manuals to have. Second, gearing is all wrong. Driving on the track, third redlines in a bad spot, making your excessively shift 3-4-3. 5th comes in too late, you linger in 4th way too long.

My blue-sky design for F-type would be to only offer it as V8 - upper trim with SC and AWD (V8S), lower trim with NA (V8N) and RWD. Offer MT only with NA V8 RWD. For both, offer R package that comes with torsen LSD, factory-blueprinted engine and 7000rpm redline.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:53 PM
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

The manual transmission is definitely something that comes with a bit of baggage on these cars. As stated, bad initial clutch design, no V8, etc. For me, it was something I longed after so I can deal with all of that. For a lot of other people on the fence, not worth it.

Old 03-06-2021, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not an apologist for this clutch, but I've not driven performance clutch vehicles. Like... literally a 4cyl YJ Wrangler for decades to this vehicle.
If I wanted to test drive superior clutches, what am I looking to drive?

Old 03-06-2021, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Well, if you want to try punishing-but-rewarding-once-mastered, try Subaru STI. I also liked gearbox in Hyundai Tiburon, if I were to teach someone stick that would be what I would prefer to use - very easy and forgiving. Personally, I think Jeep is an example of how not to do MT, but it is an offload truck, so different things matter. Toyota Corollas also have nice manual transmission.

Must-drive would be Honda S2000 and Mazda Miata. Personally, I like Miata more, as there is more action... but you are not going anywhere fast even in third gear, so it might take time to get used to.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Well, if you want to try punishing-but-rewarding-once-mastered, try Subaru STI. I also liked gearbox in Hyundai Tiburon, if I were to teach someone stick that would be what I would prefer to use - very easy and forgiving. Personally, I think Jeep is an example of how not to do MT, but it is an offload truck, so different things matter. Toyota Corollas also have nice manual transmission.

Must-drive would be Honda S2000 and Mazda Miata. Personally, I like Miata more, as there is more action... but you are not going anywhere fast even in third gear, so it might take time to get used to.
This is wonderful because thanks for not giving me cars I'm never going to find.... I can't wait to find these. =) WRX STI is an awesome vehicle

Old 03-08-2021, 02:51 PM
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
This is wonderful because thanks for not giving me cars I'm never going to find.... I can't wait to find these. =) WRX STI is an awesome vehicle
Maybe, I would rather hear from a GT3 owner and learn if that trans is good enough to justify that 70% take rate.

Uncle Fishbits (03-09-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 03:20 PM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

Nobody from JLR asked me, but if they had I would have suggested a model that was rear wheel drive with a V6 with about 425 HP and a 6 speed manual transmission with gear ratios well matched to the engine and a good clutch. It would have shaved quite a bit of weight off of the front end and while not a monster like the V8 I think it would have made a very enjoyable and nimble GT.

I had a Nissan 370Z with the 6MT. It had the syncho rev matching feature. I tried it a few times and it worked as designed, but with more than 40 years experience in driving manual transmissions my muscle memory was hard to turn off when taking a spirited mountain drive so I never really used the feature.

Quick Reply: Does this say anythig about us customers, or JLR marketing? Our manual take rate= 4%?