Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Handle Passive Locking Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 10:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Door Handle Passive Locking Issue

Hi Everyone,

I've been having this very annoying issue with my f-type since I got it (a year ago, bought it used). Basically, the passive locking feature is not working on the driver side door. Usually, you should be able to push in the door handle to lock the door, but instead, for my car, the door handle just bounces back out. Please see the following video to get a better understanding of the issue.
Just some things to note:
-this issue has been on and off, sometimes it's there for a week then goes away for multiple months
-only affects the driver side door, passenger door handle works perfectly
-there is no sound at all (no honk or beep), the door handle just bounces back out
-i found that the issue sometimes goes away after it rains or when I wash the car (maybe it's a loose connection?)
I've brought the car to the JLR dealership twice and both times, they could not reciprocate the issue and just reinstalled some software (the problem always came back a few weeks later).
If anyone has any insight into this problem, please let me know. Hopefully it's a DIY fix and I appreciate any input. Thank you.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

I had a similar issue with my 15 R, on my driver side (RH side). Not quite the same as you describe though but might be the same cause?

Sometimes it would behave as you show and pop back out after about a second which was I initially thought was a smart key issue where it thought the key was still in the car as that behaves the same way. I could lock from the passenger side fine when it happened, but that required walking around the car so the keyfob would change antenna.

Very rarely the handle would not stay in at all and would kind of rock at the very end like it wasn't quite engaging when pushed in. Likewise the handle would rarely not come out when pressing the little keyless entry button and I had to use one hand to push it in so I could open the door. That was when I took it to the dealer and they replaced the internal part of the handle and the issue has never returned. I believe there was a TSB about it for my vehicle range but I can't find one on TOPIx so it may just have been something the dealer mentioned at the time.

Is there any chance the intermittence you note is due to using a different keyfob some of the time? If it is reproducible that way you can try replacing the battery, or at least have something else to give your dealer.

As they have tried twice to resolve it ask them to replace the handle. You have the video to show them as well, so they should do it without further investigation.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

I had the exact same issue at one time. The fix was to replace an entry control module.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:29 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I got a similar issue one where the door handles were out of sync

Disconnecting and reconnecting battery cleared the issue

Old 05-08-2018, 10:05 AM
Default Thanks for the advice

thank you everyone for the useful comments! I guess I’ll head back to the dealership and ask them to help me replace that entry control module or just replace the entire handle. At least now I know what to ask for. Hopefully it gets sorted out quickly, thanks again.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by herane
thank you everyone for the useful comments! I guess I’ll head back to the dealership and ask them to help me replace that entry control module or just replace the entire handle. At least now I know what to ask for. Hopefully it gets sorted out quickly, thanks again.

Try disconnecting the battery for 15+ seconds first, as 4x4UK has suggested. That has solved a couple of problems we've run across.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Try disconnecting the battery for 15+ seconds first, as 4x4UK has suggested. That has solved a couple of problems we've run across.
Thanks for the idea Unhingd, I already tried that and it unfortunately does not make a difference. I've scheduled an appointment to bring the car in next week. Hopefully they have the part required to fix it. I'll report back in case anyone else has this issue in the future.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by herane
Thanks for the idea Unhingd, I already tried that and it unfortunately does not make a difference. I've scheduled an appointment to bring the car in next week. Hopefully they have the part required to fix it. I'll report back in case anyone else has this issue in the future.
They probably won't have the part, but shouldn't take more than a couple days to get it in.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:28 PM

Hey everyone,
So for anyone who’s curious, the dealership checked out all the connections and have decided that the problem is a bad door handle. They have ordered one from the UK and I’ll get it replaced next month. Hopefully it fixes the issue.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (05-16-2018)