F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Lock Frozen !

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 12:33 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Door Lock Frozen !

I Found on the internet that this problem is common on F-Type : https://www.ftypeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2173
But i can't find anyone talking about that in JaguarForums.com ! ( I Think this thread is the same problem but not identified : https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-error-195481/ )

The problem is :
On a winter morning (-1) the car was outside all night,
I press on the door handle to open the car, the door handle pop out, then i open the door normaly (window goes down correctly).
But When i try to close the door the door bounce and dont close...
I look closely and it was the door lock mecanism that stay released all time !

I had to wait approximatly 1h to be able to close the door correctly, apparently it's the door lock mecanism that freeze inside the door ( Car tested to -40 ? naaaah... )
I had it twice this month when i parked the car outside.

Does anyone had the same issue ?

Old 04-12-2018, 01:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Just start the car remotely and let it warm up in advance of attempting entry. Seems like a simply solution as the heater powered by a warmed up engine will provide heat to the interior and adjacent door by default.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Or apply some WD-40 to the mechanism. That'll combine with any moisture to reduce the freezing point.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Or apply some WD-40 to the mechanism. That'll combine with any moisture to reduce the freezing point.
You probably already know this but WD-40 will NEVER "combine" with water as it is a hydrophobic entity so water is REPELLED. The WD in the name actually stands for Water Displacement. But I do agree that would also help keep the initial moisture out of that system

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndabunka
You probably already know this but WD-40 will NEVER "combine" with water as it is a hydrophobic entity so water is REPELLED. The WD in the name actually stands for Water Displacement. But I do agree that would also help keep the initial moisture out of that system
I knew something was going on.Not sure of the mechanism.Thanks for the clarification.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 213 Likes on 190 Posts

Easy to solve, just live out here in the desert!

Sparky H (04-09-2022)
Old 02-10-2021, 05:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Frozen Doors

Originally Posted by amouch
I Found on the internet that this problem is common on F-Type : https://www.ftypeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2173
But i can't find anyone talking about that in JaguarForums.com ! ( I Think this thread is the same problem but not identified : https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-error-195481/ )

The problem is :
On a winter morning (-1) the car was outside all night,
I press on the door handle to open the car, the door handle pop out, then i open the door normaly (window goes down correctly).
But When i try to close the door the door bounce and dont close...
I look closely and it was the door lock mecanism that stay released all time !

I had to wait approximatly 1h to be able to close the door correctly, apparently it's the door lock mecanism that freeze inside the door ( Car tested to -40 ? naaaah... )
I had it twice this month when i parked the car outside.

Does anyone had the same issue ?
I have had a similar problem with my 2017 F-Type. Even in moderately frozen conditions the doors would freeze, "bounce" once opened etc. Fortunately it was still under Jaguar warranty. Apparently there was a now deleted Jaguar service bulletin on this problem advising the dealer to change the door mechanism. My local dealer couldn't find the bulletin but I insisted they replaced the mechanism which they eventually did. The new mechanism has an additional grommet that prevents water ingress and therefore, prevents the frozen door syndrome. I can now get into my car without any issues, it was a battle with the dealer but it was definitely worth it!

Carbuff2 (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 589 Likes on 402 Posts

Warming up the car or WD40 are easy and could work tactically. But, I'd recommend a little lithium grease on the lock mechanism. It will block out moisture and hold up better than WD40.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by uncheel
Warming up the car or WD40 are easy and could work tactically. But, I'd recommend a little lithium grease on the lock mechanism. It will block out moisture and hold up better than WD40.

Old 02-10-2021, 03:17 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

My first boxster back in 97 had a similar issue.
The windows would freeze in the up position, refusing to drop the 1/2 inch or so to let you open the door to get into the car and I was always too scared to pull hard in case the window broke.
One of my most embarrassing moments was having had a great Friday night out (cough, cough) and staying over at a friends, having to knock back on the front door and ask for a pan of warm water...

Old 04-08-2022, 06:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spraying defrosters on a frozen car door is the best way to open it. To save money, you can either buy a defroster or make one yourself. In a container, combine 1/3 oz. water and 2/3 oz. isopropyl alcohol. Give it a good shake before using.

Old 01-21-2023, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Just start the car remotely and let it warm up in advance of attempting entry. Seems like a simply solution as the heater powered by a warmed up engine will provide heat to the interior and adjacent door by default.
Hi, that doesn't work either.

Old 01-21-2023, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by David Beswick
I have had a similar problem with my 2017 F-Type. Even in moderately frozen conditions the doors would freeze, "bounce" once opened etc. Fortunately it was still under Jaguar warranty. Apparently there was a now deleted Jaguar service bulletin on this problem advising the dealer to change the door mechanism. My local dealer couldn't find the bulletin but I insisted they replaced the mechanism which they eventually did. The new mechanism has an additional grommet that prevents water ingress and therefore, prevents the frozen door syndrome. I can now get into my car without any issues, it was a battle with the dealer but it was definitely worth it!
Thanks I have not come across this before, but I'll flag up with the dealer next time it goes in for a service.