Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doors will not lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 389 Likes on 270 Posts
Default Doors will not lock

So the latest random event on my 2021 P380 vert is that it will not lock.
Any ideas before I try to arrange a dealer visit and wait 6 weeks?
I am getting a bit pissed off with the random electronic behaviour.
Seems like every other week things do not work then come back the next day,
Not convinced the locks are in that category.
Ithought the era of Lucas electronics was over!!
I have a 2000 mile trip planned but am geting nervouse about using the Jag
Hard to deal with the irratic situation on a $100K vehicle.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 629 Likes on 426 Posts

I hesitate to respond, since it appears you've never found anything you found useful on the forum.

This can be an easy fix or could require one of a couple of parts.
Will the car not lock when you're driving or just when you're leaving it?
Does it not lock when you use the FOB as well as when you lock it manually by pressing on the handle?
Are you getting a little double beep when you try to lock it manually and the handle pops back out?
And, are you sure you don't have the second FOB around so that the car thinks you might be locking the key inside?

Last edited by uncheel; 08-07-2021 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-07-2021, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member

I have no idea why you are saying that I've never found anything useful.
Just the opposite!
And I have never indicated otherwise.

Yes, double beep and handle pops out.
And no, it happened first while 10 miles away from my second FOB

Last edited by CJSJAG; 08-07-2021 at 06:00 AM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
JABB (05-24-2024)
Old 08-07-2021, 06:52 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,151 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Possibly from your “Likes: 0’”. I try to click on posts I like, though I’m not clear how that benefits the community.

Old 08-07-2021, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

I am sorry if Iupset your sense of forum decorum.
I have actually responded a few times directly to those individuals who have helped me.
I am 75 years of age and have limited tolerance for a lot of crap.
Thank you for your worthless opinion

Old 08-07-2021, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 204 Posts

FYI, Jaguar basically stopped using Lucas "the Prince of Darkness" "the reason English people prefer warm beer because Lucas makes refrigerators" & "the inventors of the 3 position headlight switch-dim, flicker & off" since the X300 was launched in the fall of 1994. So you can't blame Lucas.

Old 08-07-2021, 08:53 AM
Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

Does it do it for both keys? If not, have I tried replacing the battery in that key fob?

Old 08-07-2021, 10:02 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,151 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Possibly from your “Likes: 0’”. I try to click on posts I like, though I’m not clear how that benefits the community.
Doesn't your "likes" count reflect how many people have liked your posts, not how many you've liked?

Old 08-07-2021, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

It starts to feel a bit like a Twitter or Facebook contest for who gets the most "likes".
I appreciate all responses I get on this and 2 other F-Type forums I belong to.
I quite often try to contribute to help others.
I sometimes thank those who have helped me.
Enough said!!

Regarding the original reason for my posting, the problem is solved.
It turned out that the trunk was not completeely latched.
This is weird because just prior to the problem becoming apparent, the doors had locked normally, and the trunk had not been opened after that.
There was no indication on the dash and it certainly looked closed.
I had checked the vert roof closure few times, just never thought to check the trunk, which is a manual close on the vert.
So, I only feel a little stupid!! Perhaps this post will help some body else??

Last edited by CJSJAG; 08-07-2021 at 12:00 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by CJSJAG:
eeeeek (08-07-2021), JABB (05-24-2024), mmmjag (08-11-2021), scm (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
This is weird because just prior to the problem becoming apparent, the doors had locked normally, and the trunk had not been opened after that.
I had checked the vert roof closure few times, just never thought to check the trunk, which is a manual close on the vert.
Whoa, that's good to know. Is it an electronic latch or manual on your trunk?

Old 08-07-2021, 12:15 PM
Received 469 Likes on 255 Posts

For some reason, the European manufacturers usually only display a trunk/boot/tailgate/liftgate ajar warning message on the dashboard once the vehicle is in motion (i.e. vehicle is put in any gear), unlike US/Japanese manufacturers that display the warning instantly once the circuit is open. BMWs are famous for this. When I had my E93, on more than one occasion I would start moving forward only to have the trunk ajar notice come on and have to pull over and secure it.

I've been told the reason is mostly German logic....German engineers assume an open trunk/boot on a stationary vehicle is an intentional act (you opened it so you could put something in/take something out) and therefore does not need a warning and they don't want to bother the driver with unnecessary warnings that are not germane to the operation of the vehicle. Only if its open when the vehicle is moving is it an alert-worthy event. Many European manufacturers, such as JLR, adopted this logic as well.

Personally, I'd rather have the alert whenever the trunk/boot is ajar and let me decide how concerned I need to be about it, as it is far more convenient to fix the problem at rest than once you start moving when it's not intentional.

Old 08-07-2021, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

The trunk on the convertible is manual close. I must admit to not wanting to"slam" it doen but it certainly seemed closed and the car clearly thought so as well for a while.
I had driven the car a few times since last opening/closing the trunk nad had locked it normlly at least once before the problem occurred.
I would guess this is a vert-specific issue.

Old 08-07-2021, 12:32 PM
Received 469 Likes on 255 Posts

The trunk on the convertible is manual close.
Correct--mine is as well. With the car running and in park, pop the trunk with the button on the dash. You'll hear it release but won't get any warnings of any type on the dash. Now put the car in gear and move forward--you'll get an alert on the dash. The circuit is monitored even though it's a manual close (via the interior trunk lights that come on when the lid is popped).

Old 08-07-2021, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,303 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Since the solution turned out to be, in fact, the most obvious cause of not locking (that is that one of the latches was registering a non-closed position) can someone add a SOLVED to the title? There was no defect in the car. Leaving the thread headings of this sort without an indication that the problem has be resolved gives the impression that these cars are rife with problems. In fact, very often the problem lies with the owner, not the car.

Old 08-07-2021, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder Dump
For some reason, the European manufacturers usually only display a trunk/boot/tailgate/liftgate ajar warning message on the dashboard once the vehicle is in motion (i.e. vehicle is put in any gear), unlike US/Japanese manufacturers that display the warning instantly once the circuit is open. BMWs are famous for this. When I had my E93, on more than one occasion I would start moving forward only to have the trunk ajar notice come on and have to pull over and secure it.

I've been told the reason is mostly German logic....German engineers assume an open trunk/boot on a stationary vehicle is an intentional act (you opened it so you could put something in/take something out) and therefore does not need a warning and they don't want to bother the driver with unnecessary warnings that are not germane to the operation of the vehicle. Only if its open when the vehicle is moving is it an alert-worthy event. Many European manufacturers, such as JLR, adopted this logic as well.

Personally, I'd rather have the alert whenever the trunk/boot is ajar and let me decide how concerned I need to be about it, as it is far more convenient to fix the problem at rest than once you start moving when it's not intentional.
Fun story about German over-engineering. I had an Audi S5 and after the oil change, the change oil message would not clear. It turns out, this is because the hood latch sensor broke and since it couldn't detect that the hood had opened and closed, it would not allow the oil change to register. In order to fix the sensor, you have to buy an entire latch assembly for about $450. The solution was to use a paperclip to jump the connector on the sensor.

Old 08-07-2021, 08:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm curious since you found the cause of the doors not locking if you have the incontrol remote app. I just got mine set up today and opening the app does show me if my windows, doors, trunks and hood is closed or not. It is limited info and functionality as I have a 16 coupe, but it is another place where I can see this info if not on the dash.

Old 08-07-2021, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

My best guess is that the trunk was latched enough to avoid the sensor indicating it to be open.
I was able to lock the doors then I was unable, even though I had not open/closed the trunk.

I agree with you abou the in control app - just did not realize the what the problem was causing the doors to not lock.

Old 05-24-2024, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It starts to feel a bit like a Twitter or Facebook contest for who gets the most "likes".
I appreciate all responses I get on this and 2 other F-Type forums I belong to.
I quite often try to contribute to help others.
I sometimes thank those who have helped me.
Enough said!!

CJSJAG, thnx for your post. I have same prblm with my 2021 FTR Coupe so I thought I found a solution in your solution but it was not to be. Trunk, doors and hood are all slammed tight but the car cannot be locked. If any readers have any good suggestions plse fire away. Note that ALL basics have been covered - e.g. no conflicting FOBs, FOB batts 100%, etc.
The locking function worked beautifully until I recently took it to my dealer for another problem.

Thank you.

Old 05-24-2024, 11:36 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,151 Posts

As mentioned above, if you have the remote app the Security tab will show you what the car thinks its status is. Maybe a clue if it thinks something is open, or unlocked.

Old 05-24-2024, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 629 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by JABB
CJSJAG, thnx for your post. I have same prblm with my 2021 FTR Coupe so I thought I found a solution in your solution but it was not to be. Trunk, doors and hood are all slammed tight but the car cannot be locked. If any readers have any good suggestions plse fire away. Note that ALL basics have been covered - e.g. no conflicting FOBs, FOB batts 100%, etc.
The locking function worked beautifully until I recently took it to my dealer for another problem.

Thank you.
Is it a only a problem when you're exiting the car and trying to lock it (either by pressing the handle or key fob), or is it also an issue trying to lock it when you're inside?
If it's the former, the app should tell you something. If it's both, you'll see a message on the screen. It doesn't have to actually be an issue with something not closing properly; it can also be a sensor error. That was the issue in my case.

Quick Reply: Doors will not lock