F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dr. Colorchip

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 09:40 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Dr. Colorchip

Mine is a CPO and a DD, so it gets chips. Instead of going the dealer touchup paint route, I bought Dr. Colorchip. The bottom line is that it works pretty well. Results range from undetectable to acceptable. It's pretty much as easy to use as the commercial shows.

The kit comes with paint, paint remover, a couple of different sized brushes, a glove a microfiber cloth and another cloth for the paint remover. I also got the surface prep liquid which removes wax, etc. from the area. For 1/2 oz of paint, $76 shipped.

Put some painter's tape next to each chip. Two reasons, the first is to remind you where the chips are before painting. The second is to remind you where they were after you put the paint on because you likely won't be able to find them for the next step.

Clean the chip using the surface prep liquid. I found that one spot on the edge of the door handle was actually wax that I could never get off. The surface prep did the trick.

I used the smallest micro brush that was included. Put a dab next to the chip and roll it in using your gloved thumb. Do the entire car.

Take the white cloth and put a bit of paint remover on it. Rub it gently over the repairs. Amazingly, it removes the paint from the clear coat so that all that is left is the painted repair.

Buff each mark with the microfiber cloth. That's it.

They sell larger kits, but unless you've got a real issue, 1/2 oz. is more than enough.

YMMV

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

I've used the Dr. Colorchip product and process in the past, and it does a pretty good job. It's better for larger scratches, but I prefer OEM touch-up paint for tiny (smaller than a BB) rock chips because the OEM paint is thicker.

The Dr. Colorchip paint is runnier, but that's part of the process because you're supposed to overpaint the area, and then polish off the excess, which usually adheres well to just the damaged area. I've had trouble in the past getting it to stick in small rock chip areas on less than horizontal surfaces because of it's consistency.

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (07-04-2016)