F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dragy Times - And Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 03:23 PM
Received 856 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
OK folks....I have a huge issue with people who start threads, go down a path with the issues, like a suspense movie, and then never close the loop...So I am not going to do that on my thread!

So every time I took my car out to test drive, it would run great, and then after various amounts of time would start making that horrible grinding noise I posted in the MP3's above. I shifted, started, stopped, etc. to the point I felt I had ruled out front differential, rear differential, and the transmission. So on to the transfer case. The sound was very loud when it would occur, but was not always there...sometimes I would drive for 20+ minutes with hard acceleration...then it would return. It seemed to change with acceleration and sounded like metal scraping, a chain slipping over a gear, or something similar. It also seemed to do it when I put it in Rain/Snow and forced the front drive shaft to engage...

To be safe (and Jaguar Roadside Assistance was great!) I called JLR and they had it towed on a flatbed ~45 miles to the closest dealer(the dealer also replaced my driver window and trim under warranty due to scratches BTW). So they took several drives and nothing. Several days, and they called and asked if I wanted to come and try it...So I did. The level 5 Master Tech was super nice and went on a 35 minute Mr. Toads Wild Ride with me and was a great sport. No noise though! As we pulled back into the dealership I stopped and accelerated a few more times …and the noise started...He heard it and now could do something about it. So we pulled back out and he started recording with his phone. We both thought "damn! That sounds serious and bad!". He agreed it was coming from transfer case area and felt my assessment was likely correct...

So I left and he put it on the rack and started checking for software, and/or physical problems. And it all seemed to be OK? So he started looking around and banging and pulling on things under the car...more test drives...put a tech in the car up on the lift etc.

Finally! It was several things and nothing serious at all (two weeks now BTW). Apparently a Heat Shield started coming loose, and resting on the Transfer case in one spot...AND on the driveshaft in another...So you can imagine how loud that was! So he fixed those issues...More test drive. More noise??? Back on the rack with tech in car....And found that the VAP Cats/downpipes do not have the slight bend (up) as the OEMS, and over time the mid pipe sagged, causing it to rattle loudly against the support plate, and also was rubbing in the rear, where that cross member that rusts is located...Only problem is...he cannot fix that. I am going to work on it and he "Unofficially (did not)" give me some suggestions of things to try. So you are probably thinking I installed the Cats wrong....He said they looked perfect, and if I pushed them up anymore they would likely rattle under the car...they need to be bent, or otherwise move other parts of the exhaust a bit.

So why did it not do it all of the time? We/He felt that it was heat related. Once the exhaust got warm, it expanded, and/or the hangers stretched a bit (talking 1/16-1/8 inch) and allowed the heat shield to move and also started rubbing on the cross plate.

I was very relieved as you may imagine, and also went ahead and had an All Wheel Alignment while it was there, since I recently got new tires...

I have to say the guys at the dealership were awesome and car enthusiasts. They even called me when they saw the Water/Meth tubes...And I thought, "Oh Sh@t...here we go!"....And then the tech said..." Hey, I don't care man...I just did not want to hook up my devices and cause an issue if your car is tuned for that"...Then I grabbed a spatula and picked my jaw up off of the desk They also loved how loud the car was and mentioned it every time I spoke to them. They kept the car INSIDE the entire two weeks (I know cuz I have my InControl Remote...and they said they did...)

So I am a big fan of these guys, and really appreciate what they did for me.

Kept car 2 weeks (Inside), Gave me a new F-Pace Loaner, paid the tow, rode with me and test drove and worked on it for the whole time, put new glass and trim in and aligned it, and put Super Unleaded fuel in for me for a total bill of $220.00...And if that wasn't enough...When he was giving me the key, he said...seems like this FOB battery might be low...hang on. And he put a new battery in for me!

So now I just have to fiddle a bit with the exhaust...But ironically for the full 45 mile ride home and a couple of stops, it made 0 noise!

OK...Case closed. Enough babbling...

DC
The Ftype Downpipes have 2 aspects that can allow for a fair bit of movement - one is the ball joint from the manifold to downpipe and the second is the graphite lined clamp to the center pipes. It's always a good idea (and often needed, especially if you run the car hard and get it properly hot) to go in and re-tighten all the clamps & the nuts on the manifold side after it has heat cycled a few times.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 01-25-2021, 10:36 AM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Excellent news @Therock88 ! Thank you both TheRock and Stuart for all the info!

The following users liked this post:
Therock88 (01-26-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 09:25 PM
Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

Glad everything turned out minor and keep you around in the forum!!

Old 01-25-2021, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 985 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
Glad everything turned out minor and keep you around in the forum!!
Thank you! Me too...

DC

Old 01-26-2021, 07:43 AM
Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax1911
Especially not an Italian Racing Red one,
Don't hate the player...

Old 06-17-2022, 04:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Therock88
Thanks a bunch! Appreciate the support and good wishes...

DC
hi, you might want to change the transmission cooler. There is a heat exchange material between water/oil in the trans cooler thay gets ruptured very often. If this happens, the trans often acts crazy before it breaks. So you might want to check that one.